Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I loved the Social Network score a lot, and then actively hated the Dragon Tattoo score. I mean, I hated a lot about that movie, but the score was where I had high hopes, and it was utterly disappointing and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

twoot posted:

Does anyone know where else on the LOTR soundtrack the motif 3:00-3:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAk9G-AugYQ is repeated?

I was sure there was a longer version of it someplace but I had a quick scan through and couldn't find it.

It's sort of a part of the musical motif for Barad Dur, the Tower of Sauron.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

teagone posted:

James Newton Howard's Hunger Games soundtrack goes unappreciated I think. Catching Fire made me realize there's some good stuff going on with the score. I had to go back and listen to Horn of Plenty because drat that track owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFAUzAtSz0w

The bit for Rue's Death is so good. I love how it sort of became the theme for the rebellion

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

James Newton's Howard is probably my favorite of the big composers working. His scores for the Hunger Games movies are wonderful, especially the Rue theme that then became the theme of the start of revolution in the second film. In the new film, his slow working of a choir and strings behind Jennifer Lawrence's vocals in The Hanging Tree is astoundingly good and makes that sequence in the film breathtaking.

He also has the ability to write amazing scores for mediocre-to-terrible movies. The Last Airbender has wonderful music for all of it's downright shittiness.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Man, that movie is having some problems, huh?

Well, the composer change is because of the "problems", not a new one. They did the reshoots, which pushed back the editing timeframe, and thus the scoring timeframe. Desplat already had something else lined up after, and now it would effect that project.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

He does that a lot too. I remember when he had Up, Star Trek, and Land of the Lost all within like a month of each other. (Land of the Lost even features a nod to the Up score in perhaps it's funniest gag)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

I was reminded that this is so awesome. What happened to Goldenthal? I haven't seen him score anything particularly notable in recent times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDqhEa7HUl4

Goldenthal's score to Batman Forever is one of my favorite comic book movie scores. He claimed he was aiming to make it sound like the kind of theme that a kid might hum to themselves if they were playing Batman in the back yard, and drat he nailed it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

the score for Doctor Strange was the first one I legit walked out of the theater humming, because it's used frequently and is dope as gently caress. Harpsicord, gently caress yeah.

Black Panther is also a loving great score. I love the "king" theme that appears in the ancestral plane, and whenever the Dora Milaje do something badass, their chanting motif is just through the roof cool.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

I wonder what old Danny Elfman's been up toOH MY GOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xKyWemAr0

What in the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The Solo score feels really old fashioned, I like that John Powell mostly does his own thing, but with the new theme Williams gave him and the few little sprinkling of other music he works in. The love theme between Qi'ra and Han sounds like something from the 70s and I love it.