Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Horner is that he comes from the Corman factory, and they just went and re-used music in whole to save money, so that may have gotten him in the mindset where he just steals from himself all the time.

He's got his strengths, Star Trek II's music is amazing.

One neat thing about Howard Shore is that for the LOTR films he did a lot of the orchestration/arrangement as well. For the Rohan theme he used the Swedish fiddle, which has sympathetic strings, to give it that quivery feel which fits the mood so well.

I really want to track down a version of the Fellowship score with the actual opening cue. It always bugs me when soundtracks on CD are "off" from what's in the movie- they'll often miss out my favorite part.

(The exception to this is Morricone's soundtrack to Orca, where the CD leaves off the godawful end vocal and the final theme is just pure orchestral beauty.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm not going to rest until I figure out what music it was on the old public domain releases of the 1924 Thief of Baghdad. All the Youtube rips use either the organ score or more recent restorations of the "proper" music, or Rimsky-Korsakov, but what I remember on the Goodtimes version is way different- an assortment of a lot of fairly loud and busy "Arabian!" themes, presumably as close to actual Arabic music as the movie is to actual Arabic myth.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

So Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" score won a Grammy yesterday, beating such scores as Williams' "Tintin" score, Zimmer's "The Dark Knight Rises" and Austin Wintory's "Journey" score (the first video game score ever to be nominated in the category) but aside from my personal views on the particular score, what puzzles me is how a score from 2011 won or was indeed even nominated when every other entry was from 2012 as one might expect, seeing as how it was the 2013 Grammy awards. Any reasoning behind that?

Probably depends on when the soundtrack album came out? Maybe the Grammys have a weird window for it, since Tintin was 2011 too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, how long has Howard Shore's score for Cronenberg's Dead Ringers been on iTunes? I'd been looking for that one for ages.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Appropriate to the thread title, loved Zimmer's work for Interstellar. It's a bit more melodic than his other Nolan scores but has a cool 2001 vibe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

Favorite James Horner score?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xN0LOLG3I

Not like most of them are different.

Has to be this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoit0OdKt-I

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The puns are glorious. Never stop.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Was pleasantly surprised to see Daniel Pemberton's name pop up as the music credit for Guy Ritchie's (not bad) King Arthur. A long ways back Pemberton did the music for The Movies, a game about running your own studio and making little mini movies, so it was all sound-alikes and genre riffs; after support for the game kinda fizzled out, the music was sold to some outfit or another (I wanna say BMG) and gets licensed out as stock cues now and again (I hear it on Archer sometimes.) Anyway he's done a lot since then and does a fine job here.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Horner started out working for Roger Corman so he really internalized the lesson that you should recycle whenever you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's this for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebD6egH8N4Q

The only other composer I can think of who comes close in terms of like, scope and breadth of career and influence and all the styles they managed to compose in, is Bernard Hermann. It's that level of iconic.