Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headrest
May 1, 2009
My personal favorite film score of all time has to be from The Mummy (1999). Jerry Goldsmith's score is just perfect. Sure, its Egyptian-sounding (half steps, slidy-strings, etc) but it just seems to carry the weight of 3000 years of ancient history in it. From the very opening shot down the pyramid, you know that Egypt is loving powerful and scary. Great use of brass and choir.

My absolute favorite moment in the score has to be O'Connel's hero theme (7:09 here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh8ihtzzNtU). To me, this is more iconic and memorable than Indiana Jones' theme. Christ, my nine-year old self ran around the house fighting imaginary mummies with this blasting in the background.

Definitely an example of a score that is vastly superior to the film it was in (though I do love me some Mummy).

I also find it interesting when film scores follow rock chord progressions; an example of this would be the main hereo's theme in Lord of the Rings (I don't know the track name, but it's bombast and plays during Fellowship when the 9 of them get together and walk by the camera). That main chords of that song are quite rock based: you have a Am C Am, and then it goes in to the all-too-typical four chords Am F C G (as seen in MGMT's Kids, Avril Lavrigne's Complicated, Toto's Africa, etc etc). It's sneaky, but it definitely hits those chords and I'm sure that has a lot to do with how memorable and thrilling the tune is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headrest
May 1, 2009

Darko posted:

One of my most annoying pet peeves is people who judge a score based on how "hummable" it is. Essentially, there's an "it's only good if I remember it" way of determining quality that doesn't make much sense.

The scores people remember as hummable are actually the "chorus" sections of movies they already love, and have seen 50 times, typically. And are also typically played constantly in the advertising for said movie.

It's especially obvious in that some of the better sections of the scores for said movies wouldn't even be "hummable" for the same person. Everyone knows the Empire March from Star Wars, as marching bands and media for the film and other commercials play it over and over, but how many people, relatively, would be able to hum the asteroid theme, as amazing as it is ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZTnA0ESKMI )?

Whoa whoa, I could hum the asteroid field song all day. Needless to say, I often overwhelm people and make them feel uncomfortable when I do, also the key changes are tricky.

I think "hummable" scores are perfectly reasonable to expect when the characters or situations the score is trying to represent are equally "drawable"... That is, iconic characters (spider-man, Indiana jones), easily recreated in the minds eye, seem to go best when there are memorable auditory representations as well. Whereas non "drawable" characters or movies, like Pride and Prejudice or The Kings speech, don't have the same expectations for what the score should do. I'm not saying a score can't be great without being hummable (although I find your asteroid field example misses the mark, perhaps maybe Gandalf's death suite in Fellowship, or Galadriels theme? Apologies for using only LOTR songs), I'm just saying I understand the criticism when it's aimed at movies like ASM.