Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

teagone posted:

James Newton Howard's Hunger Games soundtrack goes unappreciated I think. Catching Fire made me realize there's some good stuff going on with the score. I had to go back and listen to Horn of Plenty because drat that track owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFAUzAtSz0w

I just watched Catching Fire this weekend and did the exact same thing! I'd forgotten how much I like Horn of Plenty.

Useless Rabbit posted:

He also scored the Romeo & Juliet movie that came out in October (which no one saw). It's the one Horner was fired from and Korzeniowski took over.

And just wanted to say that I absolutely love this score and it was my introduction to Korzeniowski. I've listened to most of his work now and I'm a fan. He reminds me of a more focused Alexandre Desplat.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Stare-Out posted:

The Village is up there as one of my absolute favorite James Newton Howard scores.

Seconded. It still get regular playtime on my iPod. My only gripe is that the end of Those We Do Not Speak Of isn't its own song.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Darko posted:

Interstellar is actually the only score I liked this year, outside of How to Train Your Dragon 2. I'm happy Zimmer finally "woke up" and did something interesting, so I kind of want him to win another so he's inspired to not go back to the well as much in the future.

Very much this. I finally sat down and just listened to the entire score and it's a treat. Where's this Zimmer been for the last few years?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally got around to watching Romeo and Juliet since I've been listening to the score for years. Korzeniowski was too good for that film. :(

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Darko posted:

Zimmer uses the gradually building layers template from Thin Red Line all of the time (see "Time" from Inception for how he's matured it), but that was the most noticeable "first" time he did it. Thin Red Line was pretty influential, as TONS of composers started doing more of that after that as well.

It's actually one of my favorite things in soundtracks because it usually works really well with whatever is on screen. Are there any other notable examples of this because any time I think of it I can only think of "Time" and "Chevaliers de Sangreal" off the top of my head?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maloya posted:

I really dig that too, and I would add "Surface of the sun" from Sunshine as well as "Waking up" from Oblivion.

How could I forget "Surface of the Sun"?! And thanks for the other suggestion. My playlist for this type of song is growing. :getin:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

CelticPredator posted:

The original pretty great. It has a theme. You know how precious a theme is these days?!

I miss themes.

Same.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Skoll posted:

Are we allowed to post TV scores as well, because this is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFK0yG8xG5I

This was so good and I think his best work in the show. Everything else pretty forgettable for me except for a few specific themes.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I'm a big fan of Abel Korzeniowski overall but particularly his more emotional music. I don't know any other way to describe it other than a hyper emotionality that *almost* borders on being overwrought. Prime examples:

Charms

Come, Gentle Night

Forbidden Love

Song for the Little Sparrow

Is this type of sound uniquely Korzeniowski or are others doing similar things? I feel like I remember reading somewhere that his Polish contemporaries were doing things in this same vein but can't find the article. Maybe it's not that unique and I'm just uninformed but I can't remember hearing anything like the above until I discovered Korzeniowski and if there's more, I'd love to hear it. One of the closest themes I can think of is Desplat's main theme from New Moon which is dialed way down from Korzeniowski.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

A preview of Abel Korzeniowski's new score for Nocturnal Animals is out. It's lush and gorgeous Korzeniowski on full display. I can't wait to hear the rest of the score and maybe see the movie.

I swear I listen to more than just Abel's movie/TV scores. :ohdear:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

VaultAggie posted:

Say what you will about the actual movie, but I absolutely love The Village soundtrack. The violin especially just hits all the right notes for me.

Completely agree. I love the short violin section in Those We Do Not Speak Of.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I've recently fallen down a Max Richter hole and discovered this song from Hostiles and this song from Ad Astra and love them. I probably don't have the technical chops to explain what I love so much about these songs but it's essentially that the entire song swells while there's a consistent, sometimes repeating, chord progression underneath that kind of drives it all? Zimmer and his students do a similar thing (e.g., Time, Journey to the Line, Duck Shoot, His Majesty, etc.) but Max Richter is the only one that does it in this specific way as far as I've heard. Are there any other songs in his discography that have this same kind of structure? Or other composers that are doing similar things?

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 16, 2020

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jenny Agutter posted:

The Green Knight has a good as hell score

It's very good but felt very oppressive at times. It kind of felt like The VVitch or Midsommar to me

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I LOVE Abel Korzeniowski! Check out the score for W.E. if you haven't already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Really enjoyed the soundtrack for The Menu. Not at all what I was expecting but works really well for the movie and is really interesting outside of it too.