Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This here thread is for discussing film music and scores in depth, including composers, with a primary focus on new and upcoming film scores and soundtracks.

THREAD RULES:

1. All SA/CD rules apply. No :filez: in any shape or form. Links to Youtube clips and legal streams are A-OK, as long as the links are tagged.

2. This is NOT a PYF thread. Try and post about something that's at least relevant to music in new and upcoming films.

3. FILM music only. Don't post about video game music or TV music unless it's somehow relevant. In any case, don't discuss it at length, let's avoid derails.

4. Film MUSIC only. Don't review the movies here, there are other threads for discussing that stuff.

For best effect, think of this thread as the music equivalent of the Movie Poster Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'll start this off by praising Howard Shore's upcoming score for the new Hobbit film. I was dead set with Zimmer's The Dark Knight Rises score as my choice of best of 2012 but I think Shore's outdoes it by a mile. Dude scored the hell out of the LOTR movies and keeps doing just that with The Hobbit. Some excellent nods to his previous scores in this too. You can listen to it here and I recommend you do.

That said, it's taking me a while still to warm up to the Neil Finn song. I'm having a hard time getting over how folksy it sounds. The melody is fantastic though and serves as the "Fellowship" theme of this film.

As for worst of the year I'll have to go with James Horner's score for The Amazing Spider-Man. I've said it some other thread, but Horner really is a three-trick pony. He only has a few styles he falls back on every time. His Aliens score, his Braveheart score and his tribal style Apocalypto/Avatar scores. Yet with TASM he provides the film with nothing but generic cues which fall completely flat and fail to be memorable in the least. I know it's Horner, but the source material is pretty ripe for good music; just look at what Danny Elfman did with Raimi's Spider-Man films.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I agree to a point that Zimmer has a recognizable style which can sound synthesized, but there was some craft to the DKR score just like there was in the score for TDK; in the latter Zimmer created a really unique sound for the Joker character (evident in the opening track, "Why So Serious?") and in DKR he does the same for Bane with the "Basara Deshi" chant. Indeed the highlights of the score are the things to do with Bane, "Imagine the Fire" being the most notable one. It's very bombastic but it works in the context of the film. The points where the score does fall flat a bit are the more quiet and tender moments relating to Bruce Wayne; there are nods to previous scores with the two note theme very evident in both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but in TDKR it's played very weakly almost to signify Wayne's physical weakness due to being out of the game for so long. It's pretty blatant and doesn't cause much of an effect.

James Newton Howard dropping out worked largely in favor of the film I think. He's a fantastic composer (the things he did with M. Night Shyamalan stand out in particular) and while his contribution certainly shines through in both the Batman scores he worked on, I felt his and Zimmer's styles didn't mesh all that well in the end.

ComposerGuy posted:

edit: On another note, awesome idea for a thread, OP! I'd thought about making one in the past but didn't know if it would get any traction.
Thanks. :) I hope this takes off though. I got Professor Clumsy's permission to post this in CD with the condition that it won't become a PYF thread.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 3, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ComposerGuy posted:

I should mention that I absolutely detest what Zimmer has done with film music over the last 10 years or so, so I immediately approach everything he does with that at the front of my brain. He's much more of a "product" in my mind then anything else, especially when dissecting the work of his disciples, most of whom are completely interchangeable (a notable exception being John Powell, who broke away and starting doing MARVELOUS things).

I agree that his style and James Newton Howard's don't mesh all that well...but all that did was make me wish JNH had done a solo effort on the films.

Edit: I guess I should also admit that in my opinion Trent Reznor has no business scoring films, just because I'm sure that flame war is going to happen.
I can see what you mean about Zimmer, but I can't bring myself to hate him after things like Gladiator and The Last Samurai and always give him the benefit of the doubt at the very least. And he does keep impressing me with certain things he does (getting the aforementioned DKR chant off the internet from hundreds of thousands of people recording themselves chanting was a pretty handy idea).

I do agree that a large majority of Zimmer's Media Ventures disciples (Gregson-Williams, Balfe etc.) sound very much like toned down Zimmers.

Reznor and Atticus Ross have yet to win me over; The Social Network score was a total bore (not that I cared for the film either) and the score for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo only worked in the context of the film but utterly fails to stand on its own.

TrixRabbi posted:

I think I've mentioned this on the forums before, but does anyone else see a similarity between the score for Lawrence of Arabia, and the score for Starcrash?
There is a small similarity but for some reason the Lawrence of Arabia bit reminded me of Williams' E.T. score. :pwn:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ComposerGuy posted:

I actually liked Zimmer's first Sherlock Holmes score, if that helps. Thought it was creative.

You basically nailed my thoughts on Reznor and Ross. It's just...so...boring. I can't listen to it at all. Trudged through both scores just to be fair to them and of course listened in context with the films, but there's just nothing to them. It's what I call "Aural/Sonic Wallpaper" and it drives me insane.
The Immigrant Song cover was pretty sweet though, but having that as the opening track of the soundtrack makes the rest of it seem even more boring.

On another note, I noticed recently that there was a new release of Elliot Goldenthal's Alien 3 score, dubbed "The Complete Score" with 40+ tracks. Being my favorite Alien score of all time, I only own the 14 track version and I'd love to get my hands on the complete one, but Amazon isn't helping. I think there was also a complete version of Basil Poledouris' Starship Troopers score but I haven't been able to track that one down either, anyone know where I might get those?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Found Goldenthal's Alien 3 Complete Score on eBay but it's gone. :( I'm giving it a listen on Last.fm and it's pretty spectacular. I can't believe it's not in iTunes or something. Also how has he not done anything since The Tempest? How was that score?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Shore tends to shine in whatever movie he composes for (the scores for both Se7en and The Silence of the Lambs are amazing and easily some of my favorite film music of all time) but when he does stuff for anything Tolkien it's pretty much out of this world, mostly because he loves scoring Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and it comes through. Whatever you think of Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, the scores do more than just stand on their own out of context and if you enjoy orchestrated classical music or film music it's highly recommended you check them out.

Shore's score for Cosmopolis, and any Cronenberg movie he scores, is very appropriate but feels really subdued though that's probably intentional. With The Hobbit there's a real sense of him being allowed total freedom to score the hell out of that movie and that's exactly what he does, as he did with the LotR trilogy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

While I agree to a point that the "Williams" style scoring might very well be dying out, we still have John Williams. :shobon: And on that note, his Lincoln score is really good; it's like the scores for Saving Private Ryan and Amistad had a secret lovechild. It's Williams largely in his comfort zone apart from a couple of notable tracks which feature period tunes with fiddles and spoons(!). I haven't experienced it in the context of the movie but it's Williams so I doubt there'll be many surprises as to whether or not it works with the movie.

Still, it's kind of a bummer that he hasn't done anything particularly out of character for a while now; Catch Me If You Can had a score which was light, jazzy and awesome and Munich's "Encounter in London and Bomb Malfunctions" is goddamn masterful and I'd hardly recognize it as Williams if it weren't for a few brief moments I'm sure are easy to pick out. Whenever this track plays on my iPod I get an urge to look over my shoulder in case someone's following me or something. :tinfoil:

Darko posted:

Poledouris is awesome because
Poledouris was awesome. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

haakman posted:

James Horner's 'danger cue!' fucks me off so much. You know the one. Four quick notes, usually brass. It's played lots in Troy (probably due to time constraints, I understand he was drafted in pretty late after the previous score, despite being quite beautiful in places, was scrapped) and makes an appearance in Avatar, specifically "the destruction of Hometree". Lazy, lazy writing.
Metallic percussion is another one of his that he's really clinging to ever since Aliens. Also listening to "The Destruction of Hometree" now and it really is in large parts "Death of Titanic" Mk.II, isn't it? There are moments in nearly every score he's ever done that come really, really close to being good and memorable and then just falls back to one of his gimmicks. Some tracks from Braveheart and Titanic are downright interchangeable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

The movie I saw most recently where the soundtrack REALLY stuck in my mind was Sunshine, the Danny Boyle sci-fi/horror movie. The sound design overall was really special, with the creaks, groans and murmurings of the space ship forming a constant ambient backdrop and often incorporated into the score. You can hear a bit of that at the start of this piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFvX1a7Yxh4. The scoring in Sunshine reminds me a bit of how the Truman Show was scored, where they used a lot of pre-existing Philip Glass pieces and only had new original music for a few scenes. The music is more standalone and is chosen to match the mood rather than being a beat for beat match to an action scene.
John Murphy is horrendously underappreciated in my opinion. Sunshine's score didn't even get a proper release for some reason, and the stuff he's done for other Boyle stuff (28 Days/Weeks Later) is absolutely terrific. The track you linked is an absolute highlight of Sunshine's score too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really want to track down a version of the Fellowship score with the actual opening cue. It always bugs me when soundtracks on CD are "off" from what's in the movie- they'll often miss out my favorite part.
Have you checked out the complete editions of the scores? FotR starts with this but doesn't have the "One Ring" strings going like the Two Towers complete edition opening cue does.

And speaking of things left out of the actual albums, there's a cue in King Kong which plays during the whole giant insect scene that's incredibly haunting and creepy, but completely absent from the album, which sucks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Darko posted:

I'm going to admit that I don't really like the LOTR scores at all.

It has nothing to do with actual QUALITY; it's pure taste, in that I don't like brass as a major instrument in most instances - I like brass purely used it hits or crescendos only. The LOTR soundtracks are so brass-horn heavy that they end up grating on me quite a bit. I'm a big fan of strings, woodwinds, and pianos.

*The exception is the french horn when used John Barry style.
I can sort of relate to this; they're largely so all-out that it borders on too much for me as well, and -- as mentioned previously in this thread, I adore the DKR score. But at the same time that's exactly what I expect from a massive fantasy film score and it's pretty much only because it's Shore that I can take it and appreciate it so much. It also helps that I'm a huge LotR fan and learning about the process behind composing for the films and how the themes are woven into the music gives me a thrill.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

:siren: 2013 OSCAR NOMINEES FOR BEST ORIGINAL SCORE :siren:

Anna Karenina - Dario Marianelli

Argo - Alexandre Desplat

Life of Pi - Mychael Danna

Lincoln - John Williams

Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Nothing for Howard Shore's The Hobbit. gently caress me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The only nominee on that list I've listened through is Williams' Lincoln score and I felt it was a tad underwhelming, frankly. Granted, I haven't seen... actually any of the films on that list (I know, I know) but out of context Lincoln's score felt slightly boring. Then again I felt the same way about Amistad's score and that one really works with the film.

Does Newman's Skyfall score have his trademark "quirky banjo" bit?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" score won a Grammy yesterday, beating such scores as Williams' "Tintin" score, Zimmer's "The Dark Knight Rises" and Austin Wintory's "Journey" score (the first video game score ever to be nominated in the category) but aside from my personal views on the particular score, what puzzles me is how a score from 2011 won or was indeed even nominated when every other entry was from 2012 as one might expect, seeing as how it was the 2013 Grammy awards. Any reasoning behind that?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The score came out in December 2011. I forgot Tintin was a 2011 movie, but the score for that was released in October of 2011. Guess the Grammys do have some weird rules or something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ComposerGuy posted:

My rage was actually physically manifest. You could touch it, it was so vivid.
I know we don't agree on the DKR score but yeah, :hf:

I so wanted Journey to win. But this isn't the video game score thread.

Earlier I heard something about a complete version of Zimmer/Gerrard's score for "Gladiator" floating around. Is that official and if so, how can I get my hands on it? I've been listening to the original score today and it's still really good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Cameo posted:

The Grammys have a very weird eligibility period for their years - it's stuff between October 1st and September 30th for whatever reason.

The Grammy process is very weird. Makes the Oscars process look polished and sensible.
Huh. According to Wikipedia it seems the eligibility period was like that just for 2012. They'd cut out a bunch of categories so maybe it was a part of some revamp.

ComposerGuy posted:

There's some unofficial bootlegs of the whole shebang floating about on the net, but I haven't heard of any "official" offerings.
Ahh, must be the bootlegs then. I dug around a bit and the general consensus on those seems to be that they're more or less rubbish; poorly edited and some tracks have parts of other tracks playing on top of them. Hoping for an official release one of these days, I recently got the complete version of Elliot Goldenthal's score for "Alien 3" and it's fantastic.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Goldenthal's work is always fantastic - he locks down that amazing Gothic sound so well. It really makes me wish he did more scores nowadays, rather than just for his partner Julie Taymor. His score for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is actually one of my favorite scores ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBZwtGyd6K4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJSNcMUWbWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKSUmEh2IPQ
Goldenthal is like the anti-Horner. Both styles are instantly recognizable except with Goldenthal he never injects recycled sounds and motifs into every score but finds a new way to use them and integrates them into the scores so well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I do enjoy the TAOJJBTCRF score as its own entity, but slightly less so in the context of the film, it feels a little bit too on the nose at times. As for The Road, despite having watched it again not even a week ago, I still can't remember a single thing about the music in it, which I suppose is a good thing and the complete opposite of "Jesse James" because apparently it works well enough to give a tangible sense of dread and foreboding about the whole package.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The thing I like about Ottman is that he has a very recognizable style that's been evolving a lot over the years. Though personally I don't think he's yet surpassed what he did in The Usual Suspects, his take on the late Michael Kamen's X-Men theme was fantastic in X2.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Apparently Ottman is editing Days of the Future Past which makes sense as it's a Singer flick but there's no word whether or not he's scoring it too. I hope that's the case; First Class had a pretty by-the-numbers score by Henry Jackman and it would be nice to get some of that X2 style back. That said, the score was probably the best part of X-Men 3 by a mile so I wouldn't mind getting John Powell back either.

On another note, I finally had the chance to see Lincoln the other day and while Williams' score works well for it, in the end I felt it was slightly lackluster. A lot of his scores work remarkably well out of the context of the film in the sense that you can just sit down and listen to them, but I didn't get that vibe with Lincoln. I don't think that's happened to me with a Williams score since Amistad.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Out of the blue, the 20th anniversary edition of the Jurassic Park soundtrack has 4 unreleased tracks! (iTunes link) Even the Mr. DNA theme. :allears:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hewlett posted:

The Oblivion soundtrack is now streaming in full here: http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/04/listen-to-m83s-soundtrack-for-tom-cruise-sci-fi-film-oblivion/

Tracks like Jack's Dream and Canyon Battle are really kicking my rear end right now. It definitely has those ambient, electronic Tron Legacy vibes, which I like a lot.
I found this to be very ho-hum as a whole and it (expectedly perhaps) doesn't measure up to the Tron: Legacy score at all. It's very by-the-numbers on its own and by the final track I'd forgotten most of it so highlights were pretty sparse for me as well. It started off strong but petered out fast. Still, looking forward to the movie as it looks rad as hell and I'll give the score a second listen once I've seen it.

E: I had this on a loop while doing some housework today and it's definitely growing on me. At its worst it drops to generic Two Steps from Hell territory of "epic" but it's more atmospheric than I first thought, especially towards the end when it slows down significantly. It's quite uneven in that sense but carries its weight nonetheless. I like it.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 12, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mansell is a bit of a strange fish to me; I can't stand the Requiem for a Dream score (for which he's probably the most known) and Smoking Aces was really hit/miss but his Moon score is excellent and The Fountain is up there as one of my favorite scores of all time. His work on Mass Effect 3 was pretty decent as well. I can't remember anything about the music in The Black Swan though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've particularly cared for any Williams scores since... Munich? I mean that score was terrific but ever since that it hasn't been quite as great. I've listened to everything he's done since but I honestly can't remember anything about Tintin or Crystal Skull for instance. I'm sure they were good and all but clearly lacked something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Darko posted:

'You are the Pan' is one of my top-played Williams tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EFiTuG21jg
Yeah, this is one of my absolute favorites too (and I'm really quite fond of the movie as well to be honest).

One composer I tend to bring up a lot whose work has been steadily excellent and very varied is Howard Shore. Everything from the stuff he did with Cronenberg to Silence of the Lambs and Seven, all the way to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit has been superb. That he can do stuff like this in Seven and go on to score the gently caress out of a movie in The Return of the King always amazes me. It always seems to me that he comes very close but never loses his style despite his range.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Darko posted:

I refuse to ever put any Horner on anything anymore, but actually, "War" from Avatar doesn't sound that bad.
That might be the one single highlight on that whole album. "Becoming One of the People..." isn't half bad either, but otherwise it's painfully generic Horner.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hewlett posted:

I'm falling more in love with Brian Tyler, who's quickly turning into the new Lalo Schifrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zypcnjlhCNU

(It's not particularly innovative, I know, but it's a lot of fun to listen to, and I love that Brian Tyler's thing is that he does his own drums/guitar and just enhances that with orchestra around it.)
It's not really my cup of tea but I did sort of appreciate him taking bits and pieces from every Alien movie and every Predator movie for AvP2:R which was clever if potentially lazy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

I really liked the soundtrack to the new Star Trek movie, and looking it up it seems Michael Giacchino has done a shitload of work that I really liked, including a bunch of JJ Abrams TV shows and a handful of Pixar movies including Up and Ratatouille. Seems pretty versatile, I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the future.
Yeah, Giacchino is pretty underrated. I haven't listened to the Star Trek score(s) yet but I've always liked what I've heard from him ever since the PSX versions of Medal of Honor and especially the soundtrack to The Lost World: Jurassic Park PSX game where he managed to emulate John Williams' style perfectly while adding his own spin to it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have yet to listen to the Iron Man 3 and Star Trek scores, but I did go through Clint Mansell's "Stoker" score, Zimmer's "The Man Of Steel" score and the Zimmer/Balfe/Gerard score for "The Bible".

"Stoker" felt very subdued and didn't really build up to anything as its own thing, generally Mansell's scores have had some kind of intense and climactic ending to them but not this one. "The Man Of Steel" is tremendously by-the-numbers and generic and the main theme completely failed to grab me while "The Bible" was, unsurprisingly, like "Gladiator" with all the good bits removed and replaced with just soulless (hah) fluff. And this is coming from someone who digs the hell out of Zimmer.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ComposerGuy posted:

I was thinking about 80s movie themes the other day and realized that my favorite isn't actually a Williams theme...its Silvestri. I don't know what it is, but something about the theme from Back to the Future just makes it the definitive "80's Film" theme in my mind. He really nailed that one.
I kind of agree. As much as I love stuff Williams did in the 80's and frankly loathed a lot of Silvestri's other work around that time, the BttF main theme is just something so perfect. The story behind the entire score is kind of funny as well; Zemeckis was concerned about the budget and the quality of the special effects and told Silvestri to at least make the movie "sound like it's incredibly epic" and boy did he deliver. BttF is one of those movies that loses the majority of its impact if you were to remove the score.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vegetable posted:

If anyone is looking for a new soundtrack, Cloud Atlas is gorgeous. The Atlas March and its reprise in the final two tracks (Finale and End Title) are two of the best tracks I've heard in a while.
I have to agree with this. As a whole it's a pretty solid score and every version of the titular track is really wonderful, which is pretty necessary as it's an actual plot point in the film. "Cloud Atlas End Title" and "Sonmi-451 Meets Chang" are both definite highlights for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Boy, Zimmer's disappointing me something fierce lately. First the remarkably bland "Gladiator-lite" of "The Bible", the utterly unforgettable "Man of Steel" and now "The Lone Ranger" which is like "PotC: The Dead Man's Chest" without the charm. It tries to be interesting towards the end by taking the William Tell Overture and doing some "things" with it but kinda fails at that.

Guess I'll just wait and see if he returns to form with "Interstellar", whenever that comes out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have to agree with pretty much all of that, despite never having the chance to check out the extended score. :( I recently got some Williams compilation album that has some of his most famous work on it and there are two tracks from the Home Alone movies which reminded me how awesome those scores are. Also helps that I used to watch both movies every Christmas as a kid so the music very much encapsulates the whole season for me, even more so than actual Christmas songs.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Honestly, the only works of Michael Kamen I'm familiar with are Band of Brothers, the first X-Men movie and the orchestrated concert he did with Metallica. Band of Brothers has great music in it and Kamen is responsible for the X-Men "theme" that John Ottman did some great things with in X2. I can't for the life of me remember the music from the Kevin Costner Robin Hood or From The Earth to the Moon though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Darko posted:

The Robin Hood theme was used in, like, 50% of trailers in the 90s (with Shawshank being the other half), so you should know it, actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Edkb2Qo9c

Kamen has some gold, but lately, has produced nothing of note. There are a few composers like that, or people that were great in the 80s and then fell off a cliff.
His less than stellar productivity of late could do with the fact that he's been dead for a decade now.

And thanks to the link you posted, I now remember I have heard the Robin Hood theme in a few trailers but I think the most-used theme in trailers goes hands-down to Zimmer's "Backdraft" theme (2:55 onwards). That poo poo was everywhere in the 90's.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Darko posted:

Yeah, I phrased that completely wrong, hah. I meant, "in later years" and meant to compare it to people that fell off a cliff. Kamen was weird in that he only did a couple of good scores, but the ones he did stood out greatly.
It seems like he was a dude whose output quality depended a lot on the material he was composing for and didn't thrive quite as much if he was out of his element. As for his death, I didn't hear about it until a few years after the fact, and the exact same thing happened with Poledouris (which I was a lot more bummed out about admittedly) when I started wondering how I hadn't heard any of his music in a long while.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's kind of surprising. Aside from Carmina Burana and Aliens, I honestly can't really remember any of those in any trailers I've seen. I'm sure I've come across them but still can't think of any. "Sea of Love" is a bit of a puzzle too, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It seems like more and more trailers for films are using music from their own scores now, which is nice. I mean, when it's not Immediate Music or Two Steps From Hell or something. Seven Years in Tibet has a terrific Williams score and man, what a missed opportunity to not use that for the trailers.

20th Century Fox, funnily enough, has recently used John Murphy's music from "Sunshine" a whole bunch in its trailers. It's funny because Murphy had to fight like hell to get the Sunshine score released and even released a "private" version of the score on his own. I think it took like two or three years for the score to get an "official" release.