Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oblivion's score has really grown on me, but there was a bit in one of the tracks that really bugged me for ages because it sounded so familiar and I think I've nailed it. In "You can't save her", around the 2:45 mark, is that not note for note from Zimmer/Newton-Howard's "Batman Begins" score? I'll try to dig up a comparison.

E: Actually it was in "The Dark Knight", the track being "Harvey Two-Face" around the 2:42 mark. There's a more similar version somewhere on the album which isn't quite as "Zimmerific" as that but it's pretty drat close I'd say.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh poo poo that is eerily close to "Gotham's Reckoning" too. And yeah it's very synth-laced Mass Effecty stuff but it's pretty inoffensive and easy to listen to at the same time. And the title track completely owns.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cacator posted:

The title track is the only one credited to M83 alone, and since Tron Legacy's score was a bit Zimmer-ish too, I blame the guy that collaborated with Daft Punk and M83 on those scores. He definitely reigned them from their usual styles.
I'm inclined to agree, though the title track does use some (of the more decent) bits from the main score in it. And as an aside, there really should be more synth+orchestra scores around.

E: I'm currently watching Enemy at the Gates for the first time in years and holy poo poo, James Horner. Not only does the whole film kick off with his staple four-note horn motif, I'm only 15 minutes in and already I've noticed him cribbing Williams' "Schindler's List" main theme and the one bit of music from his own "Titanic" score where the ship is sinking, which was curiously absent from the actual soundtrack. I'm sure I heard some "Braveheart" in there too. This might be the worst offender for the most unoriginal Horner score yet.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 1, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not to divert from Hornerchat (seriously) but why is it that I only today found out that there's a 20th Anniversary version of Jurassic Park's score? I had no idea they'd released this, partly because it's digital only and iTunes only sells it in the States for some bizarre reason (had better luck with Amazon). Overall the sound quality seems better than in the original release -- though I admit my version of the score is a cd rip of my own from a few years back.

Sound quality aside, the big thing is that there's 11 loving minutes of previously unreleased music on the album! Mr. Dna theme? "This score is only temporary..." Yup, it's there. It's even called "Stalling Around" after Carl Stalling :allears: The music from the scene where Rex chases the jeep? It's there. The gorgeous choral piece when the digging team find a mosquito in amber? There in all its glory. Even the bit where Richard Kiley talks about Jurassic Park when they embark on the tour has its music on the album. It's fantastic. The last track even has some twists on the menacing four-note Raptor theme.

If you like the original score, I'd say this release is worth it for the four added tracks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

For anyone interested, Soundcloud has 1-minute track previews of Howard Shore's The Desolation of Smaug score. It's tricky to tell from 1-minute long samples but it doesn't really feel like Shore's usual Middle Earth stuff. And I mean that in a good way; there's definitely some Hugo and Silence of the Lambs in there which is awesome.

Not too keen on the end credits song "I See Fire", though. And the lack of the orchestrated "Misty Mountains" theme from the first movie is a bit of a bummer, that needs to have its "The Lighting of the Beacons" moment.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Holy hell, I had no idea Korzeniowski had scored another movie (Escape from Tomorrow). His "A Single Man" score is absolutely stunning. Gonna have to check that score out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I won't hide the fact that I have a huge soft spot for Zimmer and I like a whole lot of his stuff but his recent work hasn't been that good; The Bible score was like a soulless and limp version of his Gladiator score and the Man of Steel score was completely forgettable. What I've heard from the ASM2 score, yeah, it's not all that either. I recently rewatched the first ASM and the score is so generic and bland in true Horner style with his ever-present five-note "Horner" bit for extra cringe.

On a brighter note, I recently got the "complete" version of John Powell's X-Men 3 Last Stand score and it owns. The Phoenix theme is goddamn fantastic and I've been whistling it all day.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's pretty cool and made me think of the excellent score for The Lost World: Jurassic Park PlayStation game, also scored by Michael Giacchino.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think the best versions are the James Levine ones:

Mars
Jupiter

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sure thing. Here are the rest of that particular bunch for the sake of completion:

Mercury
Venus
Saturn
Uranus

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I bought this a few days ago myself but your post finally made me listen to it and so far it's really good. Very moody and fresh, really good stuff. I like the show but find that the soundtrack clashes really oddly with it most times, though not enough to bother me. A lot of the track names are pretty great too. Placental Repair? Yeah why not.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I went on a bit of a shopping spree and bought pre-Zimmer soundtracks for three Christopher Nolan movies (Memento, Insomnia and The Prestige) by David Julyan and I'm liking them a lot. Pretty understated for the most part but enjoyable. The only thing is that the Memento soundtrack is one of those "music for and inspired by" albums so pretty much everything that isn't the score stinks. Also the score itself has lines from the movie mixed in which really bugs me (though I do love the movie). Was the actual Memento score ever released on its own? I'm having real trouble finding it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This is the one I have, the one at the bottom of the page from your link. I've found snippets of the score on Youtube too that this version doesn't have, which is why I figured there had to be another "full" release of the score aside from the one I got.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've watched a lot of Steven Soderbergh movies for whatever reason lately and watched Contagion for the first time since it came out and it only now hit me how good Cliff Martinez's score is. I've been playing The Knick soundtrack on loop lately and I reckon Contagion is even better, a real overlooked gem. Watching the movie it almost seems as if the score is the one thing making that movie perfectly paced, like it's the one keeping the whole thing going and everything else is trying to keep up. Totally worth checking out for some dark, brooding synth beats.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of all things Howard Shore, the final Hobbit score is up for preorder on iTunes with 90 second samples. It's out early next month.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Village is up there as one of my absolute favorite James Newton Howard scores.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah the "Hand of Fate"s are terrific. It's amazing what he can whip up with basically just three notes at his disposal. I do love the movie too so that just adds to it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Giacchino, considering he's already taking over for Williams (ignoring Don Davis here) for Jurassic World and he's worked with Abrams a bunch in the past. Wouldn't be a bad choice at all, if it came to that. I still think Williams will do it though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Imitation Game had a pretty decent Desplat score but I honestly can't remember the Grand Budapest Hotel score to save my life. The other nominated ones I haven't heard -- I'm saving my listen of Interstellar once I actually see the movie which I haven't yet. Also surprised by Reznor not getting nominated considering how Gone Girl got so many nominations anyway, though I didn't much care for the score myself.

As for snubs, the Steven Price score for Fury is quite growing on me I have to say. Not sure if it qualifies as a snub but I'm kind of surprised it hasn't gotten more of a mention.

I thought about Newton Howard's score for Nightcrawler too but I think I might be biased there by the gimmick of the score rather than the actual quality.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's the first time I've heard a bad word said about Giacchino. I've always felt he's like the next Williams in a lot of ways, not only because he's taking over the mantle for Jurassic World but because he's great at composing pretty sweet and memorable themes (amongst some more subtle and gorgeous ones, like the one Timby linked). I've always liked his version of the Star Trek theme, even though I can't shake how similar is sounds to a certain piece from World of Warcraft of all things. Not that I think it's intentional at all.

I think a prime example of Giacchino channeling Williams is his score for The Lost World video game. That stuff is terrific and really gets me excited to listen to his Jurassic World stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Giacchino definitely feels like a "work in progress" composer but he's getting there. Now I have to confess I've not listened to his scores independently, but within the context of the films (Up, Star Trek, Mission: Impossible) I've noticed his talent. I'm sure he'll be up there with the greats soon enough given the opportunity. I agree, the potential is definitely there, he just needs the films and the opportunity to show his stuff.

I think a lot of the online appreciation of him has come from his work on games (Medal of Honor, The Lost World) and as such it's easy to be pitted against him and consider him an underdog when it comes to film scoring. I have no doubt he's the next big thing, but he does need the opportunity for it. Which is exactly why I'm very curious to hear his Jurassic World score. Also I don't know; I think in the Star Trek movies in particular his score worked tremendously well - swelling up and taking over with the themes where needed and backing down and being subtle where appropriate. Hell, I'd even forgotten that piano piece Timby posted earlier but I know for certain it delivered and thensome while I watched the film. Giacchino is a curious case and it makes him far more interesting than the "certified" composers and one to watch for when he's able to really spread his wings.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Word now going around that Williams is indeed scoring Star Wars (presumably VII-IX).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ah, I hadn't heard that, only today that he's due to start scoring in the summer.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It took me a long while to warm up to the Chappie soundtrack, I'd think it works very well with the film (which I haven't seen yet) but on its own it was hard to get into initially. It's definitely something you want to listen to very loudly with some good headphones and it's kind of cool to pick out moments where you can hear the Zimmer framework of a track but instead of an orchestra you get electronic, bass-synth craziness. It also reminds me of Blade Runner in some spots, weirdly.

I could do without the chiptunes here and there but they don't ruin the thing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's from Spike Lee's 25th Hour by Terence Blanchard.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I like a lot of David Arnold's Bond stuff and the Independence Day score (Godzilla 1998 isn't half-bad either honestly) but I can't disassociate it from the cheesiness of the movie, particularly when it comes to the Bill Pullman's speech. It's too hammy for me to not hear it when I listen to the score.

MeLKoR posted:

Yes, yes!! I re-watched almost the entirety of The Lives of Others because I was positive it was a period film and that looked like a good starting place. Thanks a lot man, this was driving me nuts. :)
No problem. And you could do a lot worse than The Lives of Others anyway. :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I like a lot of Newman's stuff but yeah, he's a bit odd for Bond even though it's hardly surprising Mendes brought him in for it since he's scored all (?) of Mendes' other movies.

Speaking of Bond, I only recently found a wonderful bit of music the late John Barry did for A View to a Kill, an orchestral version of the Duran Duran song for the movie. It's stellar. That flute.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of Newman, Bond might not be his thing but Road to Perdition was so goddamn good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Nightcrawler was scored by James Newton Howard and while I didn't find the score itself particularly memorable, its usage was genius. Basically the whole point of it was that the music in each scene was what Lou Bloom heard in his own head, not what the audience was supposed to hear in each scene. It was actually scored with that angle in mind and it worked really well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's a fantastic version. I was never really a fan of the OHMSS stuff but man, when the A View to a Kill music kicks in it's magnificent. I've always thought it was really up there as one of the best Bond themes of all time, as many as there are. And yeah, the bit you mentioned is Robocop. It's not even a matter of resemblance, I bet it's note-for-note.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Turns out some of Giacchino's Jurassic World tracks are online and his typical cringeworthy pun-names aside, they definitely sound very Jurassic Park.

"As The Jurassic World Turns" & "Untitled Track"

Williams shining strongly through and I can't not enjoy the note-perfect, if uptempo version of the original theme in there after Davis butchered it for JP3.

"Nine to Survival Job"

Really liking this. Reminds me a lot of Williams' excellent score for Hook.

"The Park is Closed"

Short but sweet. Giacchino always does good piano.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, it's the one I've listened to the most. It's too bad it's so short but if the rest of the score matches that it'll be something else. Giacchino's piano stuff always impresses, I think it's in the second Star Trek score where there's an absolutely stellar piano piece.

E: This is the one, it comes out of nowhere on the album and it's such an awesome surprise too.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 8, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Jurassic World soundtrack is out, and my first impressions so far are that it's up there with Giacchino's best and overall it's a huge love letter to the JP soundtrack. Loads of great Williams-y touches throughout.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wasn't the biggest fan of his, but goddamn that's tragic. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jablonsky's stuff is the same to me as Trevor Rabin's in that they do scores that are functional but completely soulless. There are a few decent themes here and there but pretty much all the Michael Bay movie scores were ruined for me by Harry Gregson-Williams' score for Team America which completely nails the music in Bay movies.

But on the topic of good music in bad movies, I stumbled upon Alan Silvestri's score for Judge Dredd, the 1995 Sylvester Stallone.. thing, and I'd forgotten how much I like it. The main theme is really awesome and I've had it stuck in my head for days now. And apparently Intrada just released a 2 CD remaster of it which even includes the theme Jerry Goldsmith wrote for the trailer.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, this is exactly what I was expecting to hear listening to that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So I watched The Thin Red Line all the way through for the first time yesterday and one of Zimmer's pieces in it kept bugging me because it sounded so familiar. I thought maybe I'd heard it in a trailer or something but it turns out it reminded me of a track from a completely different movie by a different composer. Going by the comments I'm not alone there.

For comparison:

"Journey to the Line" by Hans Zimmer, from The Thin Red Line (1998)
"Unravelling" by Harry Escott, from Shame (2011)

Could be a coincidence but that's pretty drat close.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"Fearful Odds" is another similar track on the Oblivion soundtrack.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

poo poo, of course no Finland dates. Just the UK and mainland Europe. :( Would've killed to go to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I can't believe Jóhann "The Theory of Everything" Jóhansson scored "Sicario". Really surprised me that it was the same dude. What a drat score, it's basically "Encounter in London and Bomb Malfunctions" from Williams' "Munich" score stretched out to a full score with a pinch of the broodiness of Howard Shore's "Seven" score. It's broken up with some more traditional bits which are really nice and provide some excellent contrast to when it gets all sinister and dark again.