Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I will second the love for the How to Train Your Dragon score.
That thing is the closest thing we've had to John Williams quality thematic scoring in years.

Powell's Bourne Supremacy score is really good too, as is his work on Face/Off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK3qXjcxTKI

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I agree with what you're saying, but it's easy to hate on Zimmer's style of film-scoring because it's almost completely taken over the film industry, and the John Williams theme-based scores have almost died out, which is tragic. It's not his fault at all, and he's great at what he does, but we're in desperate need of another Poledouris or Goldsmith.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
John Powell is seriously the most overlooked composer working in the business, his stuff has been amazing from Face/Off onward. I can't wait to hear what he does for How to Train Your Dragon 2

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Sith Happens posted:

I've said it before, but I honestly wish Giacchino was scoring The Force Awakens. I love John Williams, but I think Giacchino could have infused something new and great to the Star Wars saga, just as we all hope JJ Abrams is doing. Giacchino is evidently bursting at the seams to deliver a grandiose space opera score worthy of Star Wars, but the poor guy needs a quality hit movie to attach it to.

Giacchino is massively over-rated and can't write a memorable sci-fi theme to save his life. John Carter certainly wasn't it. His Star Trek scores are terrible. He's been coasting since The Incredibles and Up as far as I'm concerned, definitely not the right guy for Star Wars.

John Powell or Alexandre Desplat could probably pull it off though.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
If we're gonna talk game composers, I'm baffled that Jeremy Soule has never been given a shot at scoring a major movie release. From Total Annihilation to Elder Scrolls to Guild Wars, the man's been writing some of the most epic orchestral themes in the business and you'd think they'd hire him on for one of these big blockbusters at some point.

Giachinno has done good work, but for my money, Star Trek should've been his opportunity to deliver something great, and his entries aren't even remotely in the same league as James Horner's or Jerry Goldsmith's themes for that series.
If he couldn't write something worthy of Star Trek with 2 times at bat, I don't see how he's ready to take the reigns on Star Wars.