Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The score for Evolution is so great. Say whatever you will about the movie, but that cue at the end of the Mall Chase is one of his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The music was the only thing I really liked in that movie. It was really good, and spooky.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was really harsh on X-3's score when I first heard it. I really loved the theme of X2 and I wish that was carried over....but that being said, yes, X-3's score is far superior and the best of the series. John Powell's scores mostly surpass the film they're made for like Evolution, which I find to be an underrated score.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The original pretty great. It has a theme. You know how precious a theme is these days?!

I miss themes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skoll posted:

I will not deny that logic. Let me revise, except for the theme, the OST for Independence Day was 34 tracks of Cntl V.

I enjoyed all of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked the second one better. The first doesn't hold up and is incredibly boring to me now. The first half is good though. The only thing I came away loving from the first after all these years was the score.

The second one is pure garbage schlock and it knows it. I was never bored and pretty much laughing constantly. I'll probably never watch it again though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darthemed posted:

Yo CelticPredator, on the topic of themes, do you have a favorite James Horner score?

I do!

Gonna say Aliens. I know it's mostly a rushed, ripped off score, but there's a lot of really great energy there. Maybe out of pure anger and frustration, but it's there. And the slow, almost simplistic parts of the score own. That foreboding echoing *dun dun dun dun* that moves throughout whenever the Aliens are present. I love it.

But you know what else is a great score that I kind of forgot he did? Casper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoyNg0Np2ZU&t=182s

I don't know what it is about this part, but it gets to me. Right deep down in the soul. It's astounding.

Horner is a favorite of mine, but I only dig a handful of scores from him and his last stuff I didn't care for at all. Especially the Amazing Spider-Man score. Both of them were pretty loving weak. I know people say "Well, Elfman's score is bland and I don't remember it." Maybe it's because I'm a MILLENNIAL, but that score is incredibly iconic to me. I was humming it out of the theater when I saw it. I'm curious what the new film's score will be, but I just don't think it'll ever match the original, you know?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm the guy who still listens to the UltraViolet soundtrack sometimes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skoll posted:

I couldn't get into TFA at all. It had maybe two scenes I enjoyed overall. The score itself was boring and I was kind of shocked that JJ Abrams somehow managed to make a John Williams score no fun.

His last Indiana Jones score was pretty weak overall. So I don't think it's Abrams fault.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien used Temp music, and the temp music is still in the actual movie and pissed Goldsmith off something fierce. It's not a trend. It's just how things work. You have figure out if the film works, and it's hard to really grasp that without some kind of music behind it. Other wise you're looking at very, very boring footage.

But I don't like this whole series of videos that pop up and I think I figured out why. If you asked me to hum The Avengers theme, I could do it. Why? Because I enjoy listening to film scores. It's something that works for me.

Most people really don't listen to them outside of something really big like Star Wars or Pirates of the Caribbean. No matter what, it will be background noise to them. But they could probably hum a popular song at the moment without an issue. They can hum Can't Stop The Feeling and I can hum the main theme from the new Ghostbusters movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Jsuhzh948&t=104s

Because I care about film music and I love listening to it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually, kidding or not, I KNOW no one would know The Avengers theme and I don't blame them for it. The theme's barely in the movie, and has like almost zero outside exposure.

The biggest issue with Marvel scores isn't really so much they're bland, it's that they don't have a through-line with their music. Captain America has 3-4 themes right now. Iron Man has almost 5. Thor has 2, Hulk has 3? Black Widow has like 2 or so? And they keep changing it.

Repeating the score is all you need. Like I'm sure a decent amount of people can at least hum the new Star Trek theme, right? It's been used for three flicks so far.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 16, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The 90’s is coming next

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno. I saw furbies and tamagaci keychain things around TRU when I worked there. It’s creeping in

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a Gizmo furby and it owned.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

The Last Jedi's nomination stuns me, because it feels like 90 percent of it, at least, is warmed-over material from The Force Awakens and then reprises of stuff from the original trilogy.

It’s not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MCU scores are good except they don’t push the theme hard enough. The biggest issue. It’s what stops them from being iconic.

I’m curious to see what they’ll do with Infinity War considering they got Silvestri back and double downed on using his theme. I’d imagine it won’t be as sparse as it was in the first one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s so good that Whedon realized this and used it in Age of Ultron.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Strange didn’t use it enough. The Mummy Returns has a perfect theme to score ratio. Use that shiiittttttt

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re getting better about it. In Ragnarok they used the theme from Thor 1 at the end, both Avengers used Cap’s theme in a couple places. They also used a version of Strange’s theme in Ragnarok as well.

Also they brought Elfman on board just so he could bridge the two themes, the age of Ultron one and the Avengers one. Its okay. But I like listening to most of the Marvel scores. At least the end credit tracks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That score might work for the movie but it does not feel appropriate to the book. It’s too upbeat for a story so horribly boring and often gross.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The blood puke scene distracted the gently caress out of me during Hateful Eight because I knew I heard that music before but no idea where until someone said it was from the main menu to The Thing. I used to fall asleep to that movie, so it makes sense why that music bore deep into my brain.

He was the only one who deserved an award for Hateful Eight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I missed my boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Can5lbvRIGc

The cue at 5:15 is incredible. It’s not his best work, but I’ve enjoyed it more than the stuff he’s done lately. Probably my favorite score of 2018 so far.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5gaTxP__Lw

So drat good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just want to tell him how good the Evolution score is. It’s the best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've seen Evolution way more than I've ever watched X-3. Which I've seen like twice. It's a good score. But it's not my favorite of his like it is for so many others.

Solo is pretty incredible though. First CD I bought in a long time because I need something good to have in my car in case my phone runs out of service.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X-3 conjurers up bad middle school memories for me, so I tend to avoid it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC Murderverse posted:

seven new posts in this thread I assumed everyone had already read Pitchfork's list of the best movie soundtracks of all time.

nope.

so here it is.

Gonna take a wild guess and say that The Mummy Returns isn't there, and therefore is a bad list

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

this is the best part of that whole score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKLJpH2g5_k&t=286s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

idgaf it's getting posted again by me. Powell is a master of the themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9M7PhZKo4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Once again. No Mum, do Dumb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arcsquad12 posted:

Giacchino frustrates me because he has made a lot of music that I really really like, but his score for Rogue One just hit everything wrong to my ear. Trying to mimic John Williams only ever ends in failure. His soundtrack, while having a few good tracks (Krennic's theme is sweet), sounded like half a million other half-baked star wars fanfilm musical scores. The main title theme is so unbelievably bad and corny it actually managed to spoil the Star Destroyer ramming scene for me.

Overreaction? Yes, but then I'm also the guy who shudders violently whenever I hear a James Horner soundtrack cannibalizing half a dozen other James Horner soundtracks.

He did the whole score for Rogue One in 2 months due to Disney trying to fix it in the final hour.

It's not great but it's not like he had any time to do anything interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanted that too. I wish they didn't gently caress with Rogue One as much as they did. A Gareth Edwards fully directed Star War with Desplat doing the score? hell yeah.

Solo's the best score still though,

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jurassic World’s score is pretty good. It’s probably the sole reason I find the film watchable. Or at one point watchable. I haven’t had any desire to watch it since it came out on Blu Ray.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It kinda did in Solo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy poo poo HE did the score? That makes sense why it rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s been in the works since 2010. It was getting made regardless of Disney.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes yesss yesss! Solo is one of my favorite score in a long while.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All those tracks got released when the score came out, they were just strung out through different places. Some were only Apple, some were only some phone companies, ect. But they were all at least on YouTube or files.

Very weird roll out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Call me old-fashioned, but a track being on YouTube doesn't really count as a release of anything, with or without YouTube Music.

It is old fashioned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk. I listened to one track and it was just the belly of the beast from last crusade and the end theme sounds like an old man getting up from bed. It feels very freaky. :(