Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Skoll posted:

Jurassic Park theme in minor key. This is absolutely beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prLWMqMjDWY

Huh. I wish the guy had chosen to stick with the leading tone (so the main melody would stay exactly the same as the original). The use of natural minor makes it sound like it's not really going anywhere, kind of church-y especially with the MIDI. It was interesting to listen to though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Skoll posted:

I honestly didn't think of it like that. It does sound pretty church-y though. Think you can throw me an example more of what you mean though?

Yeah, here's some stuff I threw together just to demonstrate. Couple of wrong chords and terrible recording (and guest kitty vocals in one of the tracks). But I think it will show you what I mean.

Here's an approximation of the original theme:

Here's an approximation of the natural minor version you posted:

Here's an approximation of the way I would prefer, in melodic minor with the leading tone (also a Picardy third at the end just to be fun):
CRAP I missed changing a chord in this one. Oh well.

Writing it out did make me realize that my version is still not identical to the original melody, because the 3rd is still flat as it would be in the minor scale.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for linking that, he has a great conversational style and it lines up quite neatly with what I’m teaching my middle schoolers rn