Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

Williams' best score is "Hook". I will defend this opinion to the death.

This really isn't an incredibly radical opinion the more I think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

teagone posted:

James Newton Howard's Hunger Games soundtrack goes unappreciated I think. Catching Fire made me realize there's some good stuff going on with the score. I had to go back and listen to Horn of Plenty because drat that track owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFAUzAtSz0w

Just got done watching this and I completely agree.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

The Jurassic World soundtrack is out, and my first impressions so far are that it's up there with Giacchino's best and overall it's a huge love letter to the JP soundtrack. Loads of great Williams-y touches throughout.

I definitely think it's his best, on first listen. He has such a reverence for Williams' work and he makes the references and "Williams-y" touches seem organic and part of his own work, not just "oh hey here's Williams out of nowhere"

standouts (for me) include:

Nine to Survival Job
The Park is Closed

and I love the rework of Willams' work on the ending of Costa Rican Standoff

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

I've been one of the big Giacchino cheerleaders in the thread recently, but I have to admit that on my first listen, I didn't think his score for Jurassic World was that great. I'd definitely put it far behind both Tomorrowland and Jupiter Ascending, both of which were big, original, and full of great new thematic material.

I wonder how much of the positive reaction to the Jurassic World score so far is just nostalgia or familiarity with the old themes from Williams?

I didn't love JA all that much on first listen, and I haven't listened to Tomorrowland at all yet, but you make a very good point. I'm probably high on nostalgia

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Well guys, I was going to go ahead and give Inside Out a listen, but now all I want to do is pop in Conan.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Necro-ing this thread to post the new Star Wars soundtrack.

https://play.spotify.com/album/3fUKGTsiYL1kSroBWBLmmR

In my opinion it's REALLY solid. I've said it in a few other threads but it really reminds me of Prisoner of Azkaban. Less emphasis on repeated melodic themes and more on really nice orchestration and timbre to convey mood.

March of the Resistance is a great track, but the only one I don't love in context. It sounds more like an Indiana Jones piece than a Star Wars one.

Thoughts?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

Indeed.

The Rogue One score has grown on me quite a bit as I've listened to it more and learned it better. I think it fits in perfectly with the other films and scores by Williams.

This track, Jyn's theme, stands right up there with Leia's theme from the link above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42CTq5QZtI

I feel like both new SW scores work better independent of the films.

I watched Rogue One and was disappointed with Giacchino. But listening to it on its own it really is fine work

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Darko posted:

Randy's most historically famous score piece is probably The Natural - and was actually the first time I "noticed" him at all as a kid.

I love that score

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Has anyone been listening to the Thor: Ragnarok soundtrack?

It's legit one of my recent favorites. Mothersbaugh's synth work in it is exquisite

ComposerGuy posted:

I just found out the upcoming Thor movie is scored by loving Mark Mothersbaugh.

I just got *way* more excited about it.

Ah ha, there we go. Yeah it's good AF

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Thanks for posting those but yeah, none of them do much for me. It did make me realize how badly those movies could do with some leitmotifs. Is there a single theme that's consistently used for a character in the solo films? Having different themes for every movie makes for a really inconsistent soundscape.

Already posted about Cap's march, but holy poo poo that one is criminally underused in Cap 2 and 3 . I'm hoping the return of the Avengers theme for Infinity War means it will be back in full force as well

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Living up to the thread title, Hans Zimmer summing up highpoints of his career and explaining his process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGs_NT4iL2c

I remember there being talk of a release of Gladiator where you could watch the movie with only the score, no dialogue, no sound effects, just the music. Did that ever happen? I'd imagine it would play like an opera or something.

I've always wanted to see this - Star Wars as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

And it's off particularly since the movie obviously doesn't even take place in the middle-east.

but it is meant to be a rough stand in/allegory for that land/its people nonetheless. a very deliberate one from Herbert at that.