Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

I wish he was still doing Bond. I love Thomas Newman, but he was wrong for Bond. The Skyfall score has a few too many "THAT'S what you went with for this scene?" moments.

Yeah. Newman is serviceable, but that's it. Action beats don't play much to his strengths, and Bond needs a certain majestic repetition with rock structure backing that Newman doesn't really do much of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Speaking of which, Man With the Golden Gun just came on. John Barry probably had the most predictable, easy, composition style, but goddamn if it didn't work fantastically in almost every film he did.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

So, I just randomly came across the news that the new Spielberg movie written by the Coen bros coming out later this year...

...WON'T be scored by John Williams, but by Thomas Newman (Williams was sick). First Spielberg movie that's not Color Purple that's not scored by Williams, done by a better composer than Quincy Jones...I'm curious.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Star Trek 2009 is "I thought of one killer riff for this movie and by god if I'm not going to do it until we're all sick of it"

To be fair, there are TWO killer riffs in it that are repeated over and over.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

I've been one of the big Giacchino cheerleaders in the thread recently, but I have to admit that on my first listen, I didn't think his score for Jurassic World was that great. I'd definitely put it far behind both Tomorrowland and Jupiter Ascending, both of which were big, original, and full of great new thematic material.

I wonder how much of the positive reaction to the Jurassic World score so far is just nostalgia or familiarity with the old themes from Williams?

I agree with you on this. The orchestrations aren't as interesting as up or the Incredibles, and the (new) themes are nowhere near any of his best.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Instead of posting the usual Aliens soundtrack stuff you'd expect from me at a time like this, I'll just post this track from 'A Beautiful Mind' that I've always been a big fan of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEx6tolC6w

Well, as is typical with Horner, if you loved that, you'll love this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I0pf-t08Jw

Horner might have been film scoring's biggest plagiarist ever, but I still am sad to see him go. His early stuff that he re-used over and over again was instrumental in the films they were used in.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

Horner post-Titanic (really post-95) is where he really became the reuser that he is known as now. But he had a magical decade (mid-80s to mid-90s) of extremely good and important work.

Compared to most, that's more than enough.

He was always a re-user, he just got terrible with it in the late 90s/2000s. For example, Aliens is a mix of Wolfen and Star Trek 2 (to be fair, Cameron rushed him on that).

My favorite of his is probably Legends of the Fall. He has some great ones in there (and his greats are often revisions of prior stuff, but that doesn't make them sound any less good) and he'll definitely be missed.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 23, 2015

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jablonski's themes for the Transformers movies were all fantastic. I don't think I like ANY of his other stuff, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zimmer uses the gradually building layers template from Thin Red Line all of the time (see "Time" from Inception for how he's matured it), but that was the most noticeable "first" time he did it. Thin Red Line was pretty influential, as TONS of composers started doing more of that after that as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

It's actually one of my favorite things in soundtracks because it usually works really well with whatever is on screen. Are there any other notable examples of this because any time I think of it I can only think of "Time" and "Chevaliers de Sangreal" off the top of my head?

These are to varying extents, but they all contain elements

- Much of Interstellar is built like that; just has different instrumentation style.
- Leave No Man Behind from Black Hawk Down is a prime, prime example (and possibly his second best of that style, and ripped off in the Battlestar Galactica score). Things like Barra Barra in that score still use that structure as well, while being more vocal and fast pace.
- The first half of Idyll's End from Last Samurai is going like it will be structured that way before breaking off into an action piece
- Pearl Harbor has one in there somewhere as do some of his smaller, lesser known movies
- Injection from Mission Impossible 2
- Solomon from 12 Years A Slave definitely applies

That's off the top of my head; there are more.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zimmer is touring Europe next year; unfortunate for those of us in the U.S., but oh well.

http://www.themarysue.com/hans-zimmer-tour/

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Braveheart and Legends of the Fall have excellent scores. Horner had a nice little run in the 90s right up until around A Beautiful Mind, where he just gave up and repeated himself over and over completely.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sith Happens posted:

Just when I thought my hype meter for Rogue One couldn't go any higher. :neckbeard:

Desplat is slightly better at building on Williams (Harry Potter) than Giacchino (Jurassic Park). It's basically a lateral move with a tiny step down.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I flew to L.A. and saw him on Friday and it was one of the best concerts I've seen live (and I've seen Williams -with- Spielberg announcing for him and say it even topped seeing him conduct) - mainly because he turned his scores into crazy prog rock insanity.

Also, he's on the stream now at Coachella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zlqov8vivE

Darko fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 17, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Oh, and James Newton Howard showed up at the L.A. show as well, which was an awesome surprise.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I love the new Jurassic World theme, but that's also where he tends to shine the most (often repeating themes too much).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Randy's most historically famous score piece is probably The Natural - and was actually the first time I "noticed" him at all as a kid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Digging up ancient stuff from this thread, I found a James Horner score that doesn't make me want to rip my ears off for being a complete ripoff of his earlier work.
Mask of Zorro!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9NbU_R-y4

Watching a bunch of 90s films, Horner also has a few other recycled tracks and motifs that don't get brought up as much. One of them is the "danger whistle" which plays a lot in Zorro and in Legends of the Fall.

Zorro, Legends of the Fall, and Braveheart were a great run of scores in a few years. It was Bicentennial Man where he reached the rehash point of no return.

I wouldn't mind Zimmer getting an Oscar for Dunkirk because some of his best scores, like Pirates: At World's End get ignored because they are attached to crap movies and Dunkirk's score pretty much WAS that movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like the Pirates suite the best, but that's partially bias because I believe One More Day is his best composition and Tina Guo kills it on the cello.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm really curious to see what Silvestri does with Ready Player One, as he has not worked with Spielberg before.

edit, oh, hes, uh, making it sound like Williams? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG-_56ZfqQk

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

That score might work for the movie but it does not feel appropriate to the book. It’s too upbeat for a story so horribly boring and often gross.

Most reviews said the movie greatly improved on the book. It is Spielberg, after all.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Legends of the Fall had that, and it was actually really good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I actually think legends of the fall's music is rather overblown. It's just not that good a movie and the overbearing music doesn't help. Plus being a James Horner score it still has his obsession with recycling motifs. It just me but I think the hissing scare chord he uses goes better with Zorro than with scalping Germans.

He didn't recycle much in LotF. I mean, his cues, yes, but he didn't pull a Bicentennial Man/Beautiful Mind or Wolfen/Aliens thing in it.

Without the dialogue and with just the "overpowering" score, the movie works really well. it plays like a silent film in that way.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Half of John Powell's scores deserve way better films.

He also tends to respond to or at least acknowledge your responses on social media/Facebook, probably because he doesn't have as large of a fanbase as some other composers.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Don't remember if I recommended it earlier in this thread but definitely add John Powell on social media. He seems to be very active and shares stuff early on it and recently opened up his PMs briefly so you could ask him details in person.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Oh that's cool. Link to any of his accounts?

Sorry, missed this. Namesearch him on FB and look for the checkmark, since he seems to be the most active there. Although he early releases more on Instagram.

Ans yeah, How to Train Your Dragon is his best work, and actually what he seems to put the most into, judging by how he posts about it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Jurassic World’s score is pretty good. It’s probably the sole reason I find the film watchable. Or at one point watchable. I haven’t had any desire to watch it since it came out on Blu Ray.

I definitely agree with that.

re: Rogue One; the one place the score is good is when he's composing in his own style. The sequence of the Death Star wiping everything out bridged into Vader attacking is good. Its when he was aping Williams that it suffered.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Only issue with TLW is Williams overuses the (great) main theme in the score.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'd say the Eddie Carr sequence is the best in a JP movie, and its scored absolutely perfectly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

For Horner, I realized that you just find the pieces that recycle the most stuff and listen to it as a kind of "best of" thing.

So instead of listening to Bicentennial Man, just listen to A Beautiful Mind, which recycles it and multiple other things and slightly improves on it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I didn't like Solo's use of the asteroid theme, speaking of Solo. It's possibly the greatest piece from Star Wars and worked because it moved so well with the Falcon's movements. Just kind of jamming it in to a space scene just ended up being distracting to me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQBodvlbSI0

This will probably get taken down soon, but John Williams seems to be pulling out all the stops for his last hurrah. Certainly better than his Last Jedi score, which I feel is probably his weakest Star Wars music due to it mostly being variations on existing themes.

Having listened to this a few times, I think it's pretty much hands down the worst of the Star Wars scores. Copied from the spoiler thread:

quote:

This is easily the worst Star Wars score and I'm including Solo and Rogue One in this assessment.

I re-listened to Phantom Menace (which is a really, really excellent score and possibly top 3 in the series) and then Revenge (as a more fitting comparison) to compare, and the big issue is that this one has nothing really new at all for themes. I mean, it has two new themes/motifs, but they don't seem to peak anywhere or do anything interesting and sound like lesser versions of stuff from his scores from, like, Minority Report. So then, everything else are just motifs peaking in and out of Mickey Mousing.

However, the difference is that stuff from the OT was MOSTLY only hinted to in the PT scores outside of the standby Force theme or done in really interesting/good ways (Anakin's theme segueing into the Empire theme, the celebration theme at the end of Phantom being a happy version of the Emperor's theme), with the scores mostly weighing on the new motifs or actual pointed scoring. In the ST, only Rei's theme really stands out (and ends up being overused in this), Kylo/First Order's was always somewhat weak, and the Resistance theme, while okay, is barely used at all, with the rest of the thematic work being just straight up OT stuff...again. And with that, even Solo did a better job of recycling OT stuff AND Han's theme is better used.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah like Hermann and Williams are the only ones I could think of that come close. But then Williams, as great as he is, kinda has his schtick. I think he’s the master of melody and motif though.

You're forgetting Jerry Goldsmith.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Zimmer's Dune score is interesting. It worked well with the movie but on its own it's pretty weird and slightly disjointed but on the whole feels like he left his comfort zone quite a bit.

I was disappointed by the inclusion of the middle-eastern sounds early on. Not because they weren't good but combined with the whole desert aesthetic it felt like something that's been done to death and I was hoping for something a bit more novel there. And it's off particularly since the movie obviously doesn't even take place in the middle-east. But otherwise I'm enjoying it I guess.

I didn't love it when I first heard it, but its great in the movie itself, like you said. On the flip side, I loved the James Bond score when I first listened, and like it less after seeing the film. That final death scene didn't do it for me so that it ruined the "standard Zimmer crescendo song" that accompanied it.

Darko fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I didn't even know that Tron Legacy got a "complete" score release last year. It's only nine extra tracks that play after the original score but hey, that's something and it's pretty great. It even has the version of "Outlands" with the organ coming in which I've wanted since the movie came out 10 years ago!

Yeah buddy, that's a pretty big spoiler in your post for the movie.

My bad; I thought I had spoiled that whole line, messed up.