Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I like both scores, but think the Dragon Tattoo score suits the kind of visuals and locations and overall atmosphere of the film better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

It should be noted that the director of Oblivion also directed Tron: Legacy, and of course managed to get Daft Punk to score that one. I'm assuming we have the same taste in music, so his next film better be scored by Justice.

I didn't like M83's last album, and I saw them live last fall but they played too much new stuff. The two songs from this film though are more like his older work and I like them very much. Compared to M83's latest, excessively poppy album, "Before the Dawn Heals Us" is full of grander, more film-score styled music.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Oh poo poo that is eerily close to "Gotham's Reckoning" too. And yeah it's very synth-laced Mass Effecty stuff but it's pretty inoffensive and easy to listen to at the same time. And the title track completely owns.

The title track is the only one credited to M83 alone, and since Tron Legacy's score was a bit Zimmer-ish too, I blame the guy that collaborated with Daft Punk and M83 on those scores. He definitely reigned them from their usual styles.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

Gonna double post here because I have a question that has boggled me for a while. How much of that soundtrack do you think was Daft Punk and how much do you think was Joseph Trapanese? There are a few tracks where it's obvious, but I bet Trapanese did the majority. I think he did the same with Oblivion and M83.

This might have been a discussed a while ago, but if anyone knows an article or something I'd love to read about it.

His involvement was to the detriment of both movies IMO. They're fine scores but I don't see the point of restraining either artist. See Knife + Heart for a pure M83 score for example, although it's a very different style than in Oblivion.