Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

If you want to get all music nerdy about Shore's Lord of the Rings scores, then I highly recommend you check out The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films by Doug Adams.

It goes into real detail about the various uses of instrumentation and leitmotif that Shore used to give each character it's own distinct theme, but totally interconnected with everything else in the score - like Gollum's theme, which shares some of the instrumentation of the Hobbiton music, but is melodically linked with the ring theme. It really goes to show how much thought and effort he put in constructing the music for those films.

It also comes with a really good CD of unused and early versions of some cues.

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

On another note, I noticed recently that there was a new release of Elliot Goldenthal's Alien 3 score, dubbed "The Complete Score" with 40+ tracks. Being my favorite Alien score of all time, I only own the 14 track version and I'd love to get my hands on the complete one, but Amazon isn't helping. I think there was also a complete version of Basil Poledouris' Starship Troopers score but I haven't been able to track that one down either, anyone know where I might get those?

It's possible they both might be bootlegs - complete score bootlegs are very common.

From what I've heard though, the master tapes for Goldenthal's Alien³ are in too bad a condition to make a proper complete release.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

The Time Dissolver posted:

One time I was messing with the first Harry Potter movie and its soundtrack album (I wanted to put John Williams music over Wizard People Dear Reader) and discovered the album tracks didn't sync with the film. Either they were recorded to a different cut of the film, to no picture at all (treated purely as pieces of music), or were edited and finagled around with TC/E voodoo to fit the final cut. It was kinda interesting.

John Williams will often use separate takes and different arrangements of a cue for the album which are different from the ones used for the film.

By now he's gotten really good at conducting a take and knowing which one will be better to listen to on the album and which one will be better for the film.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Michael Giacchino is going to score Jurassic World, using John Williams' themes:
http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/michael-giacchino-jurassic-world-composer/

I am very excited about this.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Looks like Star Wars: Rogue One has replaced its composer: Alexandre Desplat is out and Michael Giacchino is replacing him.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387

I'm sure Giacchino will do a really good job, but I wonder if he's going to be bringing something that's closer to John Williams' work than Desplat would have.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, start your pun engines for those upcoming track titles:
I Did It All For The Wookie
Starry Knight
Saber? I Hardly Knew Her!
Dark Side Of The That's No Moon
Rebel et la Bait
To Jedi For
Rook Your Bodhi
That's So K-2S0
Seeing Gerrara
Bailing Out Organa
Bonne Mothma

It wouldn't surprise me if he already has a folder full of Star Wars puns that he's thought of over the years, waiting just for this moment.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

So it seems like a bunch of different scores have been disqualified from getting nominated for the Best Original Score Oscar for a variety of different reasons, ranging from hilarious to bullshit: https://variety.com/2018/music/awards/scores-ruled-ineligible-for-oscar-green-room-solo-1203085221/

For example, John Powell's score for Solo: A Star Wars story (the best part of the film IMO) is ineligible because they forgot to submit it in time.

But the worst one is Johann Johannsson's score for Mandy, which is ineligible because the entire film is in fact ineligible as it went to VOD 'too soon' to count as having a proper theatrical release. It's kind of bullshit that Johann Johannsson's last score - which is amazing - gets a massive snub because the Academy is mad that something went to digital while it was still in theatres.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

But it didn't make it onto the soundtrack, which was a bummer. Such a nicely-understated version of it, too.

Someone's put together a good version of it in YouTube, most likely using the rear channels of the 5.1 mix with a bit of filtering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC5ur9wQak

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

They've just released a "Deluxe Edition" of John Powell's score to Solo: A Star Wars story, which now includes all of the music used in the film. That means we can now hear proper versions of tracks like the 'triumphant' version of the Imperial March for the Empire recruitment video, and Duel of the Fates when Qi'ra talks to Maul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFAqdRgf3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgXzQ1xxnQ

I really liked his music for Solo (it's the best part of the film hands down) so I'm really happy about this!

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Fartington Butts posted:

If any of y'all missed it an extended version of TRON: Legacy's soundtrack dropped last week. It has a bunch of songs that I think were included somewhere else before?

Yeah, back when the TRON: Legacy soundtrack was released, you would get different bonus tracks depending on where you bought it. So if you bought it on iTunes you got different tracks than if you bought it on Amazon. There was even a track that you could only get if you bought it on the Nokia music store...

This release collects all of those bonus tracks together with what was already released, but it's now also available as 24-bit lossless files if you're into that sort of thing.

This release dumps all of the bonus tracks at the end instead of putting them in film order. I believe this is the correct order if you want them to go chronologically:

01 - Overture (2:28) [unused - album track]
02 - The Grid (1:37)
03 - The Son of Flynn (1:35)
25 - Encom Part I (3:53)
24 - Encom Part II (2:18)
04 - Recognizer (2:38)
05 - Armory (2:03)
06 - Arena (1:33)
26 - Round One (1:41)
07 - Rinzler (2:18)
08 - The Game Has Changed (3:25)
09 - Outlands (2:42)
30 - Father and Son (3:09)
10 - Adagio For TRON (4:11)
11 - Nocturne (1:42)
31 - Outlands, Pt. II (2:53)
12 - End of Line (2:36)
28 - Reflections (2:42)
27 - Castor (2:18)
13 - Derezzed (1:44)
14 - Fall (1:23)
23 - Sea of Simulation (2:41)
29 - Sunrise Prelude (2:50)
16 - Rectifier (2:14)
17 - Disc Wars (4:11)
18 - C.L.U. (4:39)
19 - Arrival (2:00)
20 - Flynn Lives (3:22)
21 - TRON Legacy (End Titles) (3:18)
15 - Solar Sailer (2:42)
22 - Finale (4:23)

Fartington Butts posted:

Gonna double post here because I have a question that has boggled me for a while. How much of that soundtrack do you think was Daft Punk and how much do you think was Joseph Trapanese? There are a few tracks where it's obvious, but I bet Trapanese did the majority. I think he did the same with Oblivion and M83.

I don't think I've ever seen anything that breaks it down track-by-track but I wouldn't be surprised if the parts of the music that more closely resemble a traditional film score (with motifs and that) were the ones Trapanese worked on. So stuff like End of Line and The Game Has Changed are very obviously Daft Punk, but tracks like Adagio for TRON or Rectifier were probably Trapanese.

If you listen to the music Trapanese wrote for the TRON Uprising animated show, which he did on his own, you can get a feel of the stuff he was writing himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUIS0iFLqTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

Another thing worth noting about the 'complete' version of the TRON: Leagacy score is that it was made available in high-res audio for the first time, if you're into that sort of thing.

Also Joseph Trapanese - who worked in the score with Daft Punk - wouldn't agree with the name of that release.

https://twitter.com/JoeComposer/status/1340021645415596032

Trapanese's score for TRON: Uprising is also worth a listen, you get a good idea of what parts of Legacy's score was more him than Daft Punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5A83fXUikc