Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

moxieman posted:

I’ll have to take a look, it does cycle through some very silly early 2000s “cool” displays, but I don’t think dolphins is one of them.

Edit: it does do dolphins, and lol @ these selling for over $100 on eBay. Why are they desirable?

They were a huge deal when they came out because of the fancy animated pixel display, and were heavily featured in Pioneers marketing. They were the hot poo poo to have in your shitmobile when you were 18 and just had gotten your license, and very many people from those days now have money and are nostalgic. Retro head units are a big deal, and if DAB+ wasn't the only radio broadcast here, I would rock a sweet minidisc changer setup in my old Honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
There's dirt cheap single-din head units now with tons of awesome features, but almost everything has awful segmented LCD screens that look like crap and can barely show half a song title. I guess it's good that the pressure from the Chinese amazon stuff finally forced the mainstream brands into making affordable touchscreen units, but not everyone wants one of those.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

evobatman posted:

They were a huge deal when they came out because of the fancy animated pixel display, and were heavily featured in Pioneers marketing. They were the hot poo poo to have in your shitmobile when you were 18 and just had gotten your license, and very many people from those days now have money and are nostalgic. Retro head units are a big deal, and if DAB+ wasn't the only radio broadcast here, I would rock a sweet minidisc changer setup in my old Honda.

To add on, it's an OEL (organic LED) which looks incredible. I had a few over the years, and wish pioneer weren't charging an arm and a leg for head units when I can get an atoto for a quarter of the cost.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Gotta say I don't like the pioneer head unit on my Saab 900, it just doesn't fit. But drat I do appreciate the aux input and USB plug...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
For my Honda I went for a Sony MEX-N7300BD, which was the most neutral looking unit I could find that had adjustable color and brightness on the display so I could match it to the dash lighting. I would have gone for a Blaupunkt Bremen or Barcelona, but they cost three-four times as much. There are versions without the CD drive and without DAB available too.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Based on the recommendations from the thread and some other browsing I’ve done, ATOTO seems to be the default alternative to name brand head units. Are they just better all around or are there still reasons to spend more for a pioneer/alpine/kenwood or whatever?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I think they're the best of the non proprietary units. They run basic android and you can load whatever you want. I think the name brand units are much more locked down, I could be wrong though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah and they don't have any bullshit startup warnings.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Also, mine crashes way more than I'm happy with. Just FYI.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My Joying head unit still boots from scratch if I let the car sit for 4 days or more but it's only crashed 2x (once I had to pull over and switch off the car) and it hasn't reset and erased my apps and settings ever since I switched out the media player app a year ago. New media player is better anyway.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 19, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Don Dongington posted:

Imo just sub to Williston Audio Labs on YouTube and let Big D do the work for you.

He buys and tests all manner of cheap eBay/Amazon kit, and based on some of the amp dyno runs I've seen, it's never been cheaper to chuck 1000+ RMS in the trunk of a car. A lot of this has to do with Class D amps being cheap to make and super efficient vs the older Class AB kit from the Orion/Soundstream/etc glory days.

Some insane subs for the money too.

https://youtube.com/@wal

Seconded. I'm already subbed. When I see an interesting amp, I go see if he's already tested it.
Currently looking at the Skar RP-1200.1D to go with my Skar 10" sub. The 4-channel amp I'm using with the rear 2 channels bridged to the sub is running out of balls really fast. Bass can't keep up with the rest of the system volume, so I obviously need MOAR POWAH. Big D tested it and it hit rated power, so good enough for me.

Nocheez posted:

Mine doesn't crash, but it does occasionally show a blank screen when you switch to/connect CarPlay. A reboot fixes it, but the only way to reboot it is cycle the *car's* power. You can't really turn the head unit off from the front panel - just put it on standby.
Make sure you've got the latest firmware, to start.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nocheez posted:

Have you tried a factory reset and double checking your wiring?

I switched to lever nuts in my harness and it eliminated a lot of dumb poo poo like SWC not working right.

Darchangel posted:

Mine doesn't crash, but it does occasionally show a blank screen when you switch to/connect CarPlay. A reboot fixes it, but the only way to reboot it is cycle the *car's* power. You can't really turn the head unit off from the front panel - just put it on standby.
Make sure you've got the latest firmware, to start.

You can restart Atoto head units by changing the boot logo in the settings.

Sometimes Android Auto freezes on my wife's Subaru with a factory headunit, and I miss my Atoto headunit in those moments.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 21, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

Wiring is fine, both my unit and my buddies do it. We have tried resetting to factory, updating firmware, sacrificing farm animals and nothing has worked.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

I switched to lever nuts in my harness and it eliminated a lot of dumb poo poo like SWC not working right.

You can restart Atoto head units by changing the boot logo in the settings.

Sometimes Android Auto freezes on my wife's Subaru with a factory headunit, and I miss my Atoto headunit in those moments.

The head unit in my 2018 outback drives me up the loving wall. It improved a lot with the move to AAWireless, but it will still randomly poo poo the bed and not connect without a cold reboot, which you can't safely so while driving.

Carplay works for my partner about 50% of the time, and if it craps out it stays dead for the rest of the day.

The biggest issue I have is apparently specific to the pixel series phones, but any time I drive near a cell tower it drops out completely for a minute or two. If I connect via Bluetooth in the same trouble spots it's fine, but AA seems ridiculously sensitive to the slightest dip signal quality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lowclock posted:

There's dirt cheap single-din head units now with tons of awesome features, but almost everything has awful segmented LCD screens that look like crap and can barely show half a song title. I guess it's good that the pressure from the Chinese amazon stuff finally forced the mainstream brands into making affordable touchscreen units, but not everyone wants one of those.

Touch screen anything in a car infuriates me.

Also I just hooked up that base unit on my car and it works, but every time I turn off the car it makes an "omph" sound. I guess it's just how it is when the power goes off suddenly? Maybe I could add a capacitor between the two power leads to make it taper out or something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Don Dongington posted:

The head unit in my 2018 outback drives me up the loving wall. It improved a lot with the move to AAWireless, but it will still randomly poo poo the bed and not connect without a cold reboot, which you can't safely so while driving.

Carplay works for my partner about 50% of the time, and if it craps out it stays dead for the rest of the day.

The biggest issue I have is apparently specific to the pixel series phones, but any time I drive near a cell tower it drops out completely for a minute or two. If I connect via Bluetooth in the same trouble spots it's fine, but AA seems ridiculously sensitive to the slightest dip signal quality.

Hit up atoto customer service see if you can get a replacement/upgrade.

They were pretty cool with me via email.

I also noticed that Android auto is very cable dependent.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh this is the stock Subaru AA/Carplay unit.

I did mention it last time I had it serviced, but they didn't have a new firmware version for it and tbh it was the exact same experience in my previous Hyundai Tucson.

I think those early AA units must just be garbage, and the Pixel's tendency to just drop the connection every time it finds a new cell tower is making it worse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I might have gotten my hands on a Saab Clarion radio that's perfect for my 900. But seller has no code for it. Is it possible to unlock these somehow without it? Or to find the code somehow?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

evobatman posted:

Thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane... I might need to put one of these into my Fiero as maximum throwback. Had one of the lower-end ones in high school that had the sweet display but am pretttttty sure no dolphins. The internet said the dolphin hu was a 2002 release and I think I got mine in 2001 sometime.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
What are my options for sticking apple car play into a 2009 benz e350?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane... I might need to put one of these into my Fiero as maximum throwback. Had one of the lower-end ones in high school that had the sweet display but am pretttttty sure no dolphins. The internet said the dolphin hu was a 2002 release and I think I got mine in 2001 sometime.

I've got a Sony with the flip around front and a bunch of animated displays. At least, I think I still have that one. Might slap that one into my RX-7 if I can find a BT solution I like. It does have aux, so shouldn't be a problem.

This is very similar if not the one I have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNx-gEi-AmI

He cycles through several of the displays.
I got it from a friend who opened the front enough that it broke the ribbon cable. I replaced that, and it worked perfectly. The secret is, don't open it. You can control almost everything with one of the big console mounted Sony remotes. I only opened it to change CDs, and that not often.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Wow, a working Sony head unit from the dark ages! I love that the fix to using the unit is to not use one of its features.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Speaking of vintage audio I'm hoping this one will arrive this week, it's actually a trifle too modern looking, styling of the buttons on the left looks alot like what my modern stereo looksl ike, but price was good:

Alpine TDM-7574R with CD changer port. I have found adapters online for turning the cd changer input into a 3.5mm audio connection. Should be able to an integrated looking aux-port solution elsewhere on the dash.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Wow, a working Sony head unit from the dark ages! I love that the fix to using the unit is to not use one of its features.

I mean, typical.
You *can* still get the repair/replacement ribbon cables for it and it's siblings, if you just want to fix it every few years.

My Cutlass has a unique head unit: the Kenwood KRC-3006, one fo the very few shafted ("3-hole") head units that was a CD-changer controller, and yes, I have a working 10-disc changer for it as well. At least, it was working last I tried it. Currently it has an aux-input adapter, like His Divine Shadow is talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1yhvwYuKiI

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I wasn't in the scene that long ago, but I'm pretty sure my brother had that changer in his trunk. Want to listen to a different CD that he didn't load? gently caress you! We're not pulling over.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I wasn't in the scene that long ago, but I'm pretty sure my brother had that changer in his trunk. Want to listen to a different CD that he didn't load? gently caress you! We're not pulling over.

Well, mine's a 10-CD, so plenty of (my) choices.
edit: that I don't use since I have an aux input and a phone. ...which no longer has an 3.5mm headphone jack.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I decided to relocate my amps and crossovers to the spare tire well. It definitely looks a lot nicer. I'm just hoping there's no cooling issues. The 4 channel doesn't really generate much heat. The monoblock can get cooking if I play bass heavy stuff for more than a few minutes. I admit it isn't perfect but she aint a show car.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
How do you like that Ioxus ultacapacitor thingy? I was considering trying one out just because I saw they have some cheap b-stock ones online.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
It definitely does the job. This guy has a pretty good video on it...

https://youtu.be/L_JXo-7p_t8?si=DosKGOeF_VbKt26b

I can crank the volume and run every accessory including the big stupid light bar on the front and the voltage barely drops. Definitely no more dimming headlights since I got it. I'm also running a 180 amp alternator and an Optima yellow top with it so I couldn't say how dramatic of a result you'd see with a more stock charging system.

I also got mine as a refurb/restock from ebay. Can't remember what I paid but it was a fraction of what they run new. It was in great shape too. Just a few minor scuffs and a pain in the rear end to remove QC decal on top. Also, it didn't come with nuts for the terminals so I had to get those. If you decide to get one I can send you few.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

im buying a used 2010 tacoma with stock everything. it sounds fine but i want to upgrade the head unit with something that does carplay and works with the steering wheel control. i went and punched my poo poo into crutchfield and it spat out a bunch of stuff but last time i cared about any of this was like 2007 and all i remember is boss is bad, alpine was good, end of list. i did a couple for me and my friends and it looks like not much has changed in terms of physical install.

what makes a “good” unit these days? im not looking to go insane with the audio system, but id be open to upgrading down the road. im not an rear end blasters hear you down the block kinda guy anymore, but im also not expecting an audiophile experience in a 13 year old beat down pickup truck.

im happy to spend a medium amount of money on poo poo i dont need to go all aliexpress but its definitely head unit first for me then ill worry about Other poo poo

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
The lightning port in my iphone is dying so I'm trying to switch to wireless everywhere. I have a 2010 car with no GPS and a 2017 Pioneer head unit with no GPS and wired carplay that I want to upgrade to wireless.

I saw some posts on r/carplay that say most of those wired carplay adapters need a GPS signal from the car but some have GPS built in. Other posters say their adapter setup sucks at nav depending on where their phone is, implying that the adapters can still use the phone's GPS. The adapter descriptions almost always state that they only work with factory-wired carplay and never mention this GPS limitation.

Is anyone else in this same situation? Am I out of luck unless I upgrade my head unit?

edit: Through a really weird coincidence, I now have a 'ujizyav' wireless carplay adapter. The Amazon description has the same generic language I mentioned above and it works fine. Navigation is good and the startup time and UI lag really seem to be no worse than I experienced with a wired connection.

edit2: Startup takes an extra 20 seconds and audio controls have 1-1.5 seconds of lag. Still really happy with it.

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 10, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm far from an expert, but I think it should just do the communication from your phone to the port wirelessly, GPS should come from the phone (because CarPlay uses your phone's info for the display).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, GPS always comes from the phone when using CarPlay apps, for what should be obvious reasons (you're using the phone app.)
The wireless CarPlay adapter I got along with my Atoto head unit works really well 98% of the time. Actually, lately, it's worked 100% of the time, and the head unit actually displaying video from CarPlay about 98%, but that's easily fixed by turning off/turning back on.

I should really connect that Atoto wireless CarPlay up to my wife's Alpine and see if it works there.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
I probably read something wrong, but it kind of makes sense that wireless carplay tries to use your car's GPS to save battery. https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/htjb9k/gps_data_from_car_or_phone/

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Has anyone had any luck integrating one of those ATOTO units with the factory steering controls on a Subaru? My 2018 outback came with an Android Auto/Carplay unit, but it's really touchy even with the AA-Wireless.

Just trying to figure out whether it's worth giving one of those units a try, or whether I should prepare to spend bigger dollars on an Alpine or Kenwood unit that works with one of the aftermarket SWC interfaces (which cost about as much as an ATOTO unit on their own)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
TBH it depends on the model. If you got like a H/K unit like me it was a bit of a pain in the rear end and actually two of my buttons don't work because I lost a pin and didn't want to cause a short so I don't answer calls now

But it isn't impossible if you hunt down the right information on Subaru SWC pinouts

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Mine is the basic Starlink package with the 6.5" screen. Always avoid factory premium setups because they're full of proprietary poo poo, speakers with weird impedance and generally don't sound that great to begin with.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Maestro control units aren't that bad, and I just picked up this cheap enough thing for my OBS with atoto HU.

PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface Designed for All Major Radio Brands, Universal Interface SWI-RC1 https://a.co/d/jfvWp2p

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Don Dongington posted:

Has anyone had any luck integrating one of those ATOTO units with the factory steering controls on a Subaru? My 2018 outback came with an Android Auto/Carplay unit, but it's really touchy even with the AA-Wireless.

Just trying to figure out whether it's worth giving one of those units a try, or whether I should prepare to spend bigger dollars on an Alpine or Kenwood unit that works with one of the aftermarket SWC interfaces (which cost about as much as an ATOTO unit on their own)

I installed an Atoto headunit in my partner’s 2011 Legacy and was able to get the Steering Wheel Controls working without an additional interfaces. I posted about it earlier in this thread, I had some difficulties but that may have been because I had some pins backwards.

Here’s the general wiring explanation I followed:

https://ae64.com/20-pin-pinout.htm

Only the primary function for each button works, with the factory some have a secondary button (like holding channel up would seek to the next radio stations). Some of the nicer interfaces have the ability to add that back in.

If going for Atoto, go for a nicer S8 model rather than the F7 series. The F7 does have a nice display, but the interface is a little slow and has some frustrating things, like the CarPlay volume is a lot lower than radio and sometimes it doesn’t respond to taps in the very edges of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
If you have something with the standard old analog key wires for the steering wheel controls then you shouldn't need an interface because these Android things can just rebind everything. If you have a "normal" aftermarket deck or some kind of digital steering wheel controls then you'll probably need some stupidly expensive iDatalink box, but depending on the car you might have already needed one anyways.