Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Is there a good and cheap 1-din DAB+ solution for a BMW E90 that maintains steering wheel controls and at least does a semblance of the orange dash light coloring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Just thought I'd show y'all what I found inside the door of my Honda Accord Type R

Duct tape, wood screws and a Fisher speaker - literally the worst name in audio.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

moxieman posted:

Recently bought an 01 miata that has an old pioneer cd head unit that doesn’t work:

I’m looking for either a single din head unit with Bluetooth that matches the interior better, or just forget trying to make it look good and go for a double din unit with CarPlay.

Are there good CarPlay units that are in the $300 range? They seem to range from $200 to over a grand, and I haven’t paid attention to car audio in 20 years so I’m very out of the loop.

If you can make dolphins come up on that display, you might get some good money for that old head unit.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

moxieman posted:

I’ll have to take a look, it does cycle through some very silly early 2000s “cool” displays, but I don’t think dolphins is one of them.

Edit: it does do dolphins, and lol @ these selling for over $100 on eBay. Why are they desirable?

They were a huge deal when they came out because of the fancy animated pixel display, and were heavily featured in Pioneers marketing. They were the hot poo poo to have in your shitmobile when you were 18 and just had gotten your license, and very many people from those days now have money and are nostalgic. Retro head units are a big deal, and if DAB+ wasn't the only radio broadcast here, I would rock a sweet minidisc changer setup in my old Honda.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
For my Honda I went for a Sony MEX-N7300BD, which was the most neutral looking unit I could find that had adjustable color and brightness on the display so I could match it to the dash lighting. I would have gone for a Blaupunkt Bremen or Barcelona, but they cost three-four times as much. There are versions without the CD drive and without DAB available too.