Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking for a double DIN headunit for my Saabaru. Probably want something with BT that I can run Pandora from my phone, Aux in and a USB (don't care if those are on the back, might be cleaner to run wires that way). Also would be nice if it matched the green interior lighting. Any suggestions for a clean deck like this? Was looking at some Pioneer units but $300 sounds kind of steep. I'm no audiophile, so it doesn't have to be the best thing on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Looking for a double DIN headunit for my Saabaru. Probably want something with BT that I can run Pandora from my phone, Aux in and a USB (don't care if those are on the back, might be cleaner to run wires that way). Also would be nice if it matched the green interior lighting. Any suggestions for a clean deck like this? Was looking at some Pioneer units but $300 sounds kind of steep. I'm no audiophile, so it doesn't have to be the best thing on the market.

I played with a Kenwood DDX419 at Best Buy today and liked it. Any opinions on if this would be a good buy? I'm kind of annoyed that it seems most head units only work with Iphones and not Androids. (like mine :()

Edit: Also, which harness should I be looking at? This review says it's the wrong one for a 2006 wrx.

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harnes...x+radio+harness

I would just buy through crutchfield, but it's an extra $70 or so.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 26, 2012

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Stupid general bluetooth question: My beater civic has a $60 Dual cd player with bluetooth and it works very well. It syncs with my phone within 10 seconds and then I can just hit play on the cd player and it will start streaming music from the playlist or whatever was paused before on my phone so I don't have to take it out of my pocket. Is this normal with most bluetooth decks? It's a really badass feature not having to pull my phone out since that's what I use primarily to listen to music in the car. I'd like to pick up a nicer deck for my Saabaru like the Kenwood DDX419 since it's a double DIN and I can set the colors to match the interior (sadly this is a big factor), has BT and should work nicely. Should I expect it to have this same feature? Is there a better deck for the money and my needs? I really want BT, aux in and something nice and clean that I can get to match the green interior lighting of my car. I'm not really picky but would probably prefer a double DIN rather than a single with a pocket. That's why I was leaning towards the DVD ones with a screen and all that.

Edit: Phone is a Droid Razr M if it matters. It seems like it keeps whatever I had open before still open on the phone which is why the playlist is still there when I click play on the deck.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 22, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Pulled the trigger on a DDX470. Newer, cheaper, looks better all around.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looking for a stereo for my 2001 Silverado. All I give a poo poo about is having the colors match the rest of the dash and having bluetooth audio streaming and hands free calling. It has to be single din since my dash is stupid, and there are a bunch of lovely options I'm finding so far that look like they're from 1995. Anybody have any suggestions for something that isn't too gaudy?

Edit: considering this Pioneer MVHX560BT Digital Media Receiver for lack of any great options ~$100.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 30, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Anybody know of a good source for USB and AUX panels (or know what the hell they're actually called so I can search them out)? I ran the cables from the back of the head unit to a spot on the console but I wouldn't mind a little cleaner install. I have a little spot on my truck where the tape deck is (not hooked up anymore) and want to put a blank ABS plastic plate there or something and mount the USB and AUX stuff onto it.

Looks like this, it's the little black fella above the cup holders that I want to remove and blank off.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 13, 2015

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not sure where to post this but maybe somebody here can help me find what I'm looking for. My car has android auto and I'm looking to find a dock for it that I can just drop the phone in rather than hooking up the cable to the port and letting the phone flop around in the cup holder or whatever. It's a Galaxy S7 but does anybody know of some sort of universal dock/holder with the micro USB built into the dock?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

Can I ask about Android Auto?

At the expense of my question/post being completely overlooked, sure. :v: I haven't timed it, but I sit down, plug in and then it's about 10-15 seconds I'd guess. This is on a 17 gti with the stock stereo.

I love when I get in my beater truck and it immediately connects to Bluetooth and just starts playing automatically. That's why I'm looking for something I can just jam my phone in and futz less with cables.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

If VW doesn't have something you like in their accessories catalog, try ProClip USA. I will warn you now they're rather ugly when your phone is not in them.

I just decided to try a cheapy dock for my phone and hope it fits in the cup holder. There's a lot of variables (case thickness, phone model, etc) and phones change all the time so I get why something like this doesn't exist, it's just annoying.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've not bothered with much car audio stuff besides putting in a head unit before and not sure how to proceed. I listen to mostly podcasts and I have to crank the volume to even be able to clearly hear anything, and it just sounds...muddy and unclear. This is via bluetooth and plugged in directly to Android Auto. I've tried dicking with the equalizer settings a bit and shifting the balance and fade but nothing seems to have much effect. I'm wondering if the speakers are just junk, or if it's more because it's a minivan with a huge open cargo area with more road noise and volume. I can talk at a normal level and hear front seat passenger just fine though, so I don't think the road noise is that excessive.

I already put in an Alpine ILX-w650 Android Auto unit but not sure how that's worked out with the stock speakers. I believe it has a 7 speaker system (4 in the doors, 2 tweeters in the dash maybe and a sub in the cargo area) that I don't know if anything outside of the door speakers are being powered anymore (unless they're powered off the door speakers since you're given wires for 4 speakers with most head units...don't exactly have component cables coming from the stock sub that I know of). What is enough to help my cause here? Just replacing the door speakers themselves? I've never dealt with amps and subs and feel that it may be excessive for what I'm looking for but I don't know much about this stuff.

Any advice is appreciated.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

How do other sources (radio, cd) sound?

Well, they shipped the wrong antenna adapter initially, so I don't have it hooked up. And it doesn't play CDs, just digital media. To answer the other questions, I always crank my phone media to max volume but it still sounds the same over BT or plugged in. I'll try moving the fade and balance stuff around and see if it can be isolated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Probably. They're usually nearly color matched to the HU's harness.