Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

I'm not sure what the hell happened, but something broke.

Yesterday morning everything was fine, everything sounded like it should. Nine hours later, came out of work, jumped in the car and suddenly my sub is clipping badly, like the volume / bass is turned up way too loud. I haven't changed any settings or moved anything. The only thing I did recently [around six weeks ago] was change the amp, after my venerable Soundstream PCA-1500 developed movement and a dry joint on the RCA [which I hope to fix]. I dug out an old Z Audio '400W' piece of junk out of the wardrobe, hooked it up correctly and it worked fine up until now. It also seems to miss certain beats, as a I listened to it during a three bass note track, and it was missing the low note, but picking up the mid and high, albeit punching the poo poo out of them and causing the whole car to rattle. I checked the sub for any holes or cuts, but couldn't find anything and turned the amp down a third which lowered the volume, but it's still making that awful fart noise.

Anyone have any idea on what might have gone wrong? Has the amp suddenly blown a cap / sub blown it's coil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H1KE
May 7, 2007

^^^^^ That carpet setup looks basically factory!

I don't have forums search [yet] so feel free to point me toward posts already here. I've been out of the game for a long, long time now but my old gear has been with me for many, many years and could use an upgrade.

Has anyone had experience with DS18 gear? I randomly found them via YT recommendations and watched a bunch of people doing non-sponsor videos, reviews, etc and they seem to be great. Given the Aussie tax, I'll be paying somewhere above the generic Pioneer / Sony / Alpine but below Focal / Polk gear, making them seem like a good price point for what I want, without getting into that five-figure area. Grateful if anyone has experienced them before and can give me an idea on whether or not to go for it. If anyone has any recommendations outside of the normals, I'd be happy to know as well!

I'm planning to replace the current rump-shaking single Orion 400W and 12" sub and going all out in building out the whole rear end in a custom manner. They are still going amazing after all these years but turning it up past a certain point will give the old headlight dip. Are Optima batteries still the go-to for a first and second battery setup, or should I look at something more like the deep cycle lithiums for a second battery and Optima for the front? The lithiums are on par price-wise to Optimas here, so either or is not a budget breaker.

Example AGM units but the list is a mile long on these things if anyone has any brand recommendations I can probably get over here.

The current Pioneer unit works, but I'm looking to replace it with a multimedia / NAV unit. The control unit in the Skoda Fabia we bought has spoiled me and I miss being able to scroll through my music in my car. Seen here as I fixed the PO's lovely install which caused the head unit to eject on a hard launch. :v:

It doesn't look like much in there, but I have drowned out larger dollar systems which always leaves them sitting there looking sad while I pass by like :unsmigghh:

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Awesome, thanks ya'll. I tend to obsessively research for months on end before getting stuff that I'll hang on to for multiple vehicles.

I had heard the rumors about Optima and after doing some looking around Aus car forums etc, it all seems to be true. I'll start looking at changing out to a higher amp alternator and swap out for a chunkier battery instead. A dual setup is common and cheap to do now, so I'd prefer to have a separate one just to keep the draw off the main where possible.

For available brands, it's a pain to find anything outside of the 'big three' [Alpine, Sony, Pioneer] so I'll talk to a few different shops I've dealt with before and trust before making a list. I used to find with my old wagon of the same model, I needed to add a capacitor to help keep the headlights dip away, so I'll see what's available there too. Others that seem to be pretty available are Hertz, JBL, and Soundstream. I had a Soundstream setup way back around the early 2000s, but they seem to have dropped quality now too, unfortunately.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Soundstream is a zombie brand now - just run-of-the-mill Chinese stuff.

Goddamit. I had one of their 12" Tarantulas back around '04 ish and man was that thing insane. Sadly I lost it when a jack handle came loose and sent itself into it.

And now I've posted about it, I was driving today and lost bass. I think my amp and/or sub finally gave out. :( Given the age of them, I'm not surprised if either has died because they have been through hell and back with me. Going to pull it tomorrow in daylight and put the multi across them.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

What a clusterfuck.

I also need to figure out which way to go now, because 2V from the output side of the amp. Godspeed little Orion 400, you done did good little buddy. :smith:

OR NOT

THAT'LL FUCKIN DO IT

Goddamn previous owner! :argh: I completely forgot about the inline at the front. Couldn't open the cover. Looked closer and found it had melted from sitting against the ABS unit. The entire fuse and housing just broke apart as I tried to open the cover. Replaced with an inline I had left over from an old kit and she's banging again!

E again: I took it for a quick run and holy poo poo, it's amazing the difference clean power makes. I wondered why the head unit was 'subwoofer: +6' to have good punchy bass, but thought it was just the way it was. Turned it to +2 and it sounds amazing now.

H1KE fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Imo just sub to Williston Audio Labs on YouTube and let Big D do the work for you.

He buys and tests all manner of cheap eBay/Amazon kit, and based on some of the amp dyno runs I've seen, it's never been cheaper to chuck 1000+ RMS in the trunk of a car. A lot of this has to do with Class D amps being cheap to make and super efficient vs the older Class AB kit from the Orion/Soundstream/etc glory days.

Some insane subs for the money too.

https://youtube.com/@wal

Exactly what I needed, thank you. I've watched a few different audio channels, but so many seem to have boxes of [insert brand] gear in the background and while they don't outright announce any sponsorships etc, it feels less than subjective takes when they review the gear of [brand] they have in the back of every second shot.