Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm thinking about swapping back in my 1991 Rx7's stock head unit. I have some tapes I wanna play, I guess. Before I try to pry the Pioneer unit out and see how the wiring was done, is there some basic bench testing I can do to see if the stock unit powers up?

Here it is:

I have a couple ways I could get a 12V reference to power it up, I think. I just don't want to take the seller's word for it that it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe it'll just be easier to fish out the Pioneer to see how bad things are? I don't have any specific tools, any tips, since you know a bit about FCs?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

I'm gonna go with an insulting reality slap and tell you that spending any money on a tape player of any kind is a loving retarded decision. IT'S 2013 ON TUESDAY DUDE.

:) I lost a lot of steam when I realized the factory HU didn't have manual equalizers like on the FB RX7s.

There's nothing wrong with the Pioneer headunit, really. It sounds way way better than the factory unit in my Vette, which is kinda sad. My only beef with it is that I haven't figured out how to randomize the tracks it plays on my mp3 CD. Once I figure that out, it's pretty much game over for the old head unit.