Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Just wanna throw this out here.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/

I've ordered from these folks a bunch. Always had great transactions. Hell They were out of a pioneer model I wanted and upgraded me to the premier version (added features! Woot!) for free.

A++ and what not.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So, Getting a new ride (2000 buick regal GS, loaded woo)

Need a new radio.

Wants.
Touchscreen, Mandatory
Bluetooth that works, Mandatory. Microphone and poo poo for calls, also needed.
Prefer "Factory" look. The less bling the less likely my windows getting smashed in for it.
Double Din, Obviously.

Everything else is sort of a bonus. Wifi and poo poo would be rad but I'm not willing to pay a giant premium for it.

Normally Id just buy a single din Pioneer thats middle to high end, and be done with it. But I'd really like this one to be an honest "set and forget" kind of setup. Navigation is not something I super care about since my phone does that already, CD/DVD is pointless, Ill never actually put a disc in, Aux for non phones would be cool but again not a big deal.

The car itself, No idea if it has the monsoon system in it, I'll ask the old man before I pull the trigger on things. And Id like to stay as far under 500 as I can since I do still have to put a sub in and potentially replace speakers depending on how hosed up my uncle has blown them since hes had the car.

So help audio goons. I'm so out of the loop anymore. Couple I've been looking at.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X350BHS/Pioneer-AVH-X3500BHS.html

I like it, Its a brand I know. Its cheap. Anything major I should know?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105ADV65BT/JVC-Arsenal-KW-ADV65BT.html?tp=20217

Also liking this one. Detachable face makes me happy actually. Reviews say screen is kinda mediocre, which I guess could be an issue but im not thinking its that big of a deal and the face being removable really really makes me happy. Thoughts?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_333ASTRDSM/Parrot-ASTEROID-Smart.html

Also seeing that floating around the internet. Major downside is no actual volume control.

One of my bigger concerns is crutchfield says NOTHING is compatible with my car. Oh lord, help me. Is this going to be one of those fun GM issues with security bypass bullshit? Or is it a depth issue? Going to be super bummed if I cant throw something nice and touchscreen in :(

I'm swimming in a sea of screens. Help me goons, So I can pull the trigger soon.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 6, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Aflicted posted:

I just bought this for my WRX. I actually like it quite a bit. The menus are intuitive, the bluetooth controls work well. It handles Pandora over BT with my Android just fine. My one gripe is that some of the touch icons are a bit small. Like the radio preset icons. You can skip through them with the physical button but if you wanted to choose 5 and you are on 1, it would be nice to just press 5. This isn't a big issue, you just have to be more precise with your chubby digits. Others have said that they have trouble seeing the screen in sunlight. The radio in my WRX is at the top of the dash and I don't have any issues with this. I do have my windows tinted 35%, but even with them down I don't see what the fuss is about. Solid radio, and I picked it up on Amazon for $280 shipped with Prime. No free install accessories, but I found those on amazon for less than $15 for everything.

I looked at the JVC units and they were my runner up to the Pioneer. It really came down to personal preference after going to a store and seeing the screen (which is mediocre) and cruising through the menus. I just liked the way the Pioneer looked and how it was laid out more. I have had Pioneer stereos before and had a reasonable certainty that I would be pleased with it. The JVC was a solid unit though. Also, pay attention because some of the JVC units have a USB bluetooth module that eats on of your USB ports.

Yeah I looked at this too and was totally underwhelmed when I played with it. After reading other reviews it seemed like few people had nice things to say about it.

They said that about a bunch of stuff I was looking at. I just did some searching about my car for information. If Metra makes a harness and dash adapter, its probably just fine. You mention you want to keep the price below $500, I'm assuming that you just mean for the HU. Speakers, Sub, HU for under that is going to be a stretch unless you start tossing out must haves.

I need a new sub. But I have an amp, box, etc. So really under 500 for both would be super nice.

Does the pioneers face detatch?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Aflicted posted:

The face does not detach on the Pioneer, no. The JVC unit is one of the only ones that I cam across that does that. If you already have most of the stuff, you could probably get it all done for under $500. The AVH-3500BHS can be had for 280 + 20 for install accessories. Leaves you $200 for sub and speakers which is probably doable with some diligent shopping. Or you could get some really nice speakers and just add a sub into the mix later.

That pretty much sells me on the JVC then. I really dont care about USB ports or extras. I just want bluetooth to work, maybe an aux which it has, and a touchscreen for operation. Anything else is kind of a bonus. And it seems if I shop around the JVC can be had cheap I think.

Thanks sir.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 6, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So the Buick I went and picked up.

Turns out. Has the Monsoon system in it. And every rear speaker is blown. So this means, Pay 100 per side for stock replacements (Or JBL GTO928 are apparently a direct replacement or something), or rip it all out and start over.

Does anybody know much about this monsoon poo poo? I keep seeing "you'll have to bypass the stock poo poo to use an aftermarket Hu". Isnt there some GM adapter or something that will make it work? Because if so, Thats going to save me a poo poo ton of money long term. If not, well poo poo.

For reference. 2000 Buick Regal, With monsoon.

Why cant car audio just be simple like it used to be :(

I guess long story short. Can someone recommend 1/2 decent as good or better than the monsoon speakers, that I dont "NEED" an amp to run? And will fit without me cutting apart things? If I have to run speaker wire manually I will. Or maybe, Someone just hold my hand for a while and what not? Like maybe chit chat on skype or something? I'm at a total loving loss on this.

EDIT: And thinking about it. I Guess I could run a second amp. I just really am trying to spend less money now that I have to buy a handful of other things to fix the car up. So budget is getting tight. Hell i might even have to skip the touch screen :(

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 11, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mighty Horse posted:

Monsoon is all over the place as far as its setups. Sometimes I think they just used whatever they had lying around.

IIRC your car will have a pair of woofer only 6x9's on the rear deck and then a separate tweeter module (or coaxial 6x9's bi wired)

What most people do wrong is plug a normal set of 6x9s in there to one of the 2 outputs and either get only the low-passed woofer output or the high passed tweeter output, or worse twist everything together.... But if you find a set of 6x9s you can bi-wire or just stick a set of 6 3/4" components on an adapter plate you should be fine.

The stock speakers are sometimes weird impedances so you might get a reduced overall output off the monsoon amp, if that happens I'd run an external amp.

Yeah. I've been going over the wiring and I really only want to tear it down once. I think I'm going to bypass the monsoon poo poo and just replace it all. I have to compromise on the radio itself a little but I can live with it.

Think the factory wiring will work? Or am I running speaker wire to the doors and trunk?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

fingerling posted:

So I'm looking to upgrade the headunit it my car to something that A; is able to accept Bluetooth, and B; is in a language that I (mostly) understand <Japanese at the moment>.

I put in a single DIN JVC unit in my previous car, but as my new car is double DIN, I thought I'd get something a bit different. I had a KD-X30 in my last car, and it worked perfectly, no faults, just a bit of a headache to setup. Anyway, as I've stated, the only thing I really require is bluetooth, but USB functionality would be nice, along with controls over colours, bass/sub etc.

I've found this as a local listing for $200, RRP in some places is up to $500, but the average seems to be about $300-350 or so:

Being in Australia, we pay premiums for everything (even our own gas), but it seems to be a pretty good deal, as it's apparently still in the box. There any reasons you professionals can think to not grab it?

JVC KW-R800BT

Comes with the BT poo poo. And should be the exact same price. Its what I'm going to get I think.
It does lack proper sub out though. If that matters.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I need a new 12" sub. I have your standard prebuilt box and 250ish RMS watt amp.

I listen to mostly punk but I dabble in rap, techno, and pretty much everything.

I don't need to rattle windows and set off car alarms but in used to poo poo blurring my vision when I kick on some easy e.

The catch? I need to be a cheap rear end. There's some well reviewed stuff under fifty bucks at http://www.onlinecarstereo.com and would like to stay under that of possible.

I'm prefer that retailer because they have anyways treated me right with orders in the passed.

:-)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Wokrider posted:

I am considering doing a amp install, I've never done a auto audio instal before.
How much poo poo am I getting myself into?

It's not awfully hard. Run power on one side. RCA's on the other. Sometimes depends on vehicle on difficulty but mostly anyone can do it. Just get an interior panel tool or a bag or two of relevant fasteners

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Wokrider posted:

How do you mount the amp to keep it from sliding around?
I've heard most people tend to attach it to the back of a seat.

Personal preference. I've seat mounted it. I've mounted them to the sub box. I've mounted them to the floor/spare tire cover. Just depends on the vehicle and how permanently I want the amp there. A lot of the time I just mount it to the box. Makes it easier to steal but whatever.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

some texas redneck posted:

I prefer mounting to the back of the seat, or to the trunk floor. I don't like mounting them to the box; there's always a chance the box can slide around and rip the wires out.

Screw the box down.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I've had good luck repairing vintage speakers with tissue paper and epoxy or clear nail polish. Better to try before trashing, anyway. :)

Shoe glue. Seriously get some and try it. Its cheap and works wonders.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So going backwards from touch screens to something more "basic" in the new car.

I'm leaning to pioneer again. Mostly because I've always had the best luck with them, and I prefer the sound in most cases.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DX460BT/Pioneer-DEH-X4600BT.html

I'm thinking this. I "NEED' bluetooth audio. Id LIKE hands free. Plus I can get 2 sets of 6X8s which are bound to be better than the stock ones in this marquis I bought (They do sound new though). 168 bucks or something shipped.

Anyways. My question is mostly bluetooth related. Is any brand better than others right now? I mean, My rental Chevy had bluetooth and it even controlled google music. Would love for it to be able to read the track titles and maybe even change tracks like you'd think it could. I'm not 100% dead set on pioneer, And my installer buddy is pushing me at kenwood (He loves his apparently).

So, Around 100-150 bucks, With Good media streaming, and "acceptable" call quality. I'm also not opposed to ordering from somewhere like onlinecarstereo.com (Ive ordered poo poo from them, they tend to rock). But with that deal on CF right now, its hard to throw together something similar.

And to ask. Yes eventually I'm going to run a sub or two. Most likely 1 12 at most. So sub control I guess matters to some extent. Also I'm not opposed to touch screens or double dins. Its just going into a Grand Marquis that id rather not have to cut up anything to get it to fit.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I'm running a higher end version of that generation stereo (DEH-X8600BH).

The included microphone, to put it nicely, sucks. I had to mount mine to my visor to get people to hear me decently. Beyond that, Bluetooth works flawlessly. I had the same issue with my last Pioneer, they just seem to use crappy microphones. I will say I had issues with my old Pioneer and my old Galaxy Nexus playing nice - the phone would lock up constantly or reboot when I shut off the stereo or engine, on stock firmware and 3rd party.

Google Music, Slacker, Pandora, etc all respond to the Bluetooth commands, and at least on mine, the stereo is capable of displaying the artist/song/album (mine can be set to show song name, song name + artist, or song name + artist + album - I keep it on the last of those). I haven't tried any of the Pandora integration, or even tried plugging anything into the USB cable (not sure if the one you're looking at has one, but mine has a rear USB input and a 6 ft long USB cable with a female end that I tossed in the glove box - in case a friend wants to bring a flash drive full of music).

As a delivery driver, it's nice being able to fire up Slacker and Google Maps at the same time - Maps interrupts long enough to inform me of my next turn.

Month later, I'm finally about to pull the trigger again. Same drat headunit

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DX460BT/Pioneer-DEH-X4600BT.html?tp=5684

Other than the mic being potentially poo poo, Any major cons or anything? Id prefer it to be able to be green, But whatever. Seems to do everything I need. At most I'm adding 1 sub later.

I think I may pull the trigger on one of the Pioneers either way. I wanna replace the door and rear deck speakers and 50 bucks for 4 "better than stock" speakers with wiring harnesses is just hard to pass up.

Just tell me ill be happy. Unless thats a giant heap of poo poo and someone can point me at a better option other than the DEH-X8600BH? Honestly, I'm pretty close to just paying the extra for it. Faceplates removable yes?

EDIT:

So while shopping for the headunit. And trying to "cheap out" even more. Ive found I cant really, and now I'm sub shopping.

Ive ran all kinds of insane dumb poo poo but this go around I have a goal.

Vehicle. 2000 Grand Marquis.
Ideally. 1 Sub. Something that can hit most music types (mostly Rap/Fake Bass), but I can crank the poo poo out of and rattle my brain some. Not full on crazy poo poo, But you know. The eye wobbles.

Thing is. I'm used to cheating with hatchbacks and SUVs. So while my Focus had a pretty limited system (400 or something RMS), It still banged because of how it was setup.

Theres a poo poo ton of brands these days. And I'm all fine with going a bit cheap if I can still get what I want. I mean, My blazer had a temp sub (moving trashed my nice one) from walmart, it was one of those 29.99 jobs. It did fine, it wasnt super loud, but it hit some notes ok ya know? So I'm not obnoxiously picky, I'm going to be streaming over bluetooth and using cloud based music so super "audiophile levels of OCD" about sound quality dont matter. I just want the inside of my cabin to beat hard and not sound like poo poo.

Throw me some Ideas I guess. Budget is semi whatever. Id rather keep it cheapish if possible. But I'm not against spending a bit more. I've cobbled together a few misc things between 150-300 bucks. Keep in mind, This has to include something to hold said sub. So Sub, Box, Amp. Wiring I can get for free.

Something I would spend a few bucks more for. In the trunk of the Marquis. The spare tire is on a shelf sort of thing. To the left of that, theres tons of space to shove a small box. Any companies out there sell a box that fits there maybe? Its weird, But I actually kind of want to not fill my whole trunk with subwoofers and poo poo.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 24, 2014

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Totally ended up buying.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT362U/Kenwood-KDC-BT362U.html

Ended up keeping my old box and amp so I'm going to just push the stock garbage into the ground for a few weeks shopping for speakers.

Anyone own one?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I know I'm hilariously late on this, but that head unit has configurable colors. Green isn't a problem. It's discontinued, if you haven't snagged it yet.

Noooope I'm an idiot and ended up buying a Kenwood I mostly hate.

It sounds fine, controls are fine, Bluetooth is good. Display? 100% unusable in any form of daytime sunlight. I may call crutch field and see if they will swap me to a pioneer. Should of stuck with what I know. Sounds good though!!!

I like you. Hilariously late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

For what it's worth, my Pioneer is generally usable unless the sun is beating directly on it (and even then you can still read the big stuff). The controls are kind of crappy though, thanks to Pioneer burying everything in menus, and the mic that came with it has crapped out.

Yeah I always end up back to pioneer. Every stupid little thing I hate from other companies, I end pioneer don't have issues with and generally I lack major complaints. One time I think my largest complaint was the wheel was a bit wobbly. It never broke, and I used the remote most the time. Never another complaint. You'd think I'd learn my lesson and stay pioneer.