Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I bought a car and got a bunch of audio stuff with it.

The boxes are total lies, the smaller speakers are Pyle and the bigger are MDS, a brand I don't know anything about.

Sticker is faded but think it's a Blaupunkt THb 200A. PO has wiring done for this but it was disconnected, he said I could just hook it back up.

I don't know really anything about what constitutes a good audio setup, but I decided to install the larger speakers since I was making a new rear shelf anyway (old one was in bad shape), because I am cheap and like to suffer, instead of buying some MDF or thicker plywood and using the old shelf as a template to bandsaw or route out a new shelf, I made my own abomination using a wooden frame with 4mm baltic birch plywood on top. At least it should be a very sturdy shelf. Need to find original looking fabric and do some trim work yet.

PO had most stuff hooked up so they play when I hook them up, frame here not yet glued to the plywood top,

I also have a pair of smaller pyle speakers in addition to the filters. I was thinking if I should make holes for them and also hook them up using the filters. Since I got them for for free, or are they so crap they aren't worth it? I wasn't reading good things about Pyle earlier in this thread.

Frame glued to the plywood top, while the cross braces in the middle are just glued, I used mortise and tenons on the outer joints. I might paint the underside in some suitable color, or maybe put some fabric over it, I want it to look nice when you look inside the trunk as well, which also means redoing some of the POs wiring.

Holes routed and the pioneer speakers fitted, I need to fit the sides better yet as there are some unsightly gaps. I didn't even try and make a tight fit because it was difficult enough to get it in as is. I might just cover it with fabric when I get it, maybe glue some plywood under it so they are more like flaps I can fold u, then it will have some structural integrity. Factory shelf was screwed in inside the C-pillars and was a PITA to remove. I won't even try and use that again.

So all in all, looks a bit of a hack job so far, I hope I can pretty it up when I get the fabric fitted. Still wondering if I should fit the smaller speakers and/or the base unit, or just leave it as is. No grille covers for said speakers, maybe I'll make my own though, just route out some circular MDF.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I fitted the carpet now and I think it looks kinda nice actually. I was not able to find the proper color or style to match the factory original. The store I went to had this really nice looking carpet though that would have looked even better, almost the same color match and this nice striped pattern. But two weeks lead time! I instead got this very thick carpet that was hell to work with, but very sturdy and rigid. Slightly different color but it looks close enough IMO that you could imagine the factory using a slightly different style for the shelf.

Just the two bigger speakers fitted so far. I want to try and hook up the base unit now and see that that does if anything.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gotta say I don't like the pioneer head unit on my Saab 900, it just doesn't fit. But drat I do appreciate the aux input and USB plug...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Lowclock posted:

There's dirt cheap single-din head units now with tons of awesome features, but almost everything has awful segmented LCD screens that look like crap and can barely show half a song title. I guess it's good that the pressure from the Chinese amazon stuff finally forced the mainstream brands into making affordable touchscreen units, but not everyone wants one of those.

Touch screen anything in a car infuriates me.

Also I just hooked up that base unit on my car and it works, but every time I turn off the car it makes an "omph" sound. I guess it's just how it is when the power goes off suddenly? Maybe I could add a capacitor between the two power leads to make it taper out or something.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I might have gotten my hands on a Saab Clarion radio that's perfect for my 900. But seller has no code for it. Is it possible to unlock these somehow without it? Or to find the code somehow?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Speaking of vintage audio I'm hoping this one will arrive this week, it's actually a trifle too modern looking, styling of the buttons on the left looks alot like what my modern stereo looksl ike, but price was good:

Alpine TDM-7574R with CD changer port. I have found adapters online for turning the cd changer input into a 3.5mm audio connection. Should be able to an integrated looking aux-port solution elsewhere on the dash.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I upgraded my cassette stereo with an aux input (next to the cigarette lighter). Now if I'd find where I put that last plug so I can cover up the unused button space.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nope it's all DIY'ed, I went in and cut the audio paths from the tuner and soldered in new wires and an aux-port, new hole through the back of the stereo as well to run the wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I bought one of those and they didn't work. And I don't want bluetooth so I never bothered trying those. I am happy with this solution and it's far more rewarding than just buying something to boot.