Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
check junkyards for the poverty spec civic with no CD player, there must have been a little cubby or something that fits in there.

Or find one of those rad 1/2 din EQs from the 90s and stuff it in there.

Or Comedy Option: Install 2 radios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

EbolaIvory posted:

So the Buick I went and picked up.

Turns out. Has the Monsoon system in it. And every rear speaker is blown. So this means, Pay 100 per side for stock replacements (Or JBL GTO928 are apparently a direct replacement or something), or rip it all out and start over.

Does anybody know much about this monsoon poo poo? I keep seeing "you'll have to bypass the stock poo poo to use an aftermarket Hu". Isnt there some GM adapter or something that will make it work? Because if so, Thats going to save me a poo poo ton of money long term. If not, well poo poo.

For reference. 2000 Buick Regal, With monsoon.

Why cant car audio just be simple like it used to be :(

I guess long story short. Can someone recommend 1/2 decent as good or better than the monsoon speakers, that I dont "NEED" an amp to run? And will fit without me cutting apart things? If I have to run speaker wire manually I will. Or maybe, Someone just hold my hand for a while and what not? Like maybe chit chat on skype or something? I'm at a total loving loss on this.

EDIT: And thinking about it. I Guess I could run a second amp. I just really am trying to spend less money now that I have to buy a handful of other things to fix the car up. So budget is getting tight. Hell i might even have to skip the touch screen :(

Monsoon is all over the place as far as its setups. Sometimes I think they just used whatever they had lying around.

IIRC your car will have a pair of woofer only 6x9's on the rear deck and then a separate tweeter module (or coaxial 6x9's bi wired)

What most people do wrong is plug a normal set of 6x9s in there to one of the 2 outputs and either get only the low-passed woofer output or the high passed tweeter output, or worse twist everything together.... But if you find a set of 6x9s you can bi-wire or just stick a set of 6 3/4" components on an adapter plate you should be fine.

The stock speakers are sometimes weird impedances so you might get a reduced overall output off the monsoon amp, if that happens I'd run an external amp.