Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm debating wheter or not I should upgrade the radio on my 2009 Alfa Romeo Mito. I like how the standard one looks, but I want to have my own music. There are aux leads I can buy that may or may not work, and are expensive.
Head units from known brands are pretty ugly and cost way too much. Then I saw the chinese ones at Aliexpress / ebay. I know the finish isn't always the best, but I must say they often look cleaner and have more features (or rather, less restrictions) than the big brands. Anyone have any experience with them in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love all these aftermarket CD changer spoofers. Works so drat well and costs next to nothing compared to getting a new fascia and head unit. Best thing is that I still retain the bluetooth connection to the different protocol for calling etc. Well worth looking into if you want to stream Spotify or somthing without getting murdered / not having OEM look.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Given the choice of installing a $30-50 bluetooth CD-changer spoofer (that I press one button, and ma tunez start where I last left off) and a $300-500 poo poo looking/china crap buggyness/high end unit (that for some reason only supports Apple) while also having to buy expensive as gently caress fascias and steering wheel control adapters... well.

I've done the CD-changer spoofer on two cars, and it's worked on par with the bluetooth system in my dads V70. In fact, the V70's system has been more annoying as it sometimes decides that my phone doesn't exist anymore.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I can't say I'm really a audiophile when it comes to car audio, but out of curiosity: How are Harman Kardon audio systems in cars regarded? Or is it wildly different from car to car?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't test it out much but it sounded decent, albeit a bit "flat". But EQ settings do a lot as well. I'll have to play with the settings when (if) I get the car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm a bit of an idiot that can't leave things alone, so I've been looking at the ideaa of upgrading the Harman Kardon speakers in my brand new car. As I understand it pretty much all cars have super cheap speakers, but is it really that big of a difference?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Krakkles posted:

It can be.
All that to say - the single best thing you can do if you already have the factory premium system is probably an aftermarket headunit. The factory premium speakers shouldn't be THAT bad.

Hmm I see. Thanks. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I bought a Chevy s10 that had am aftermarket amp (Alpine BBX-T600) in it. I'm not interested in stuff like that in this case, but would like to sell it. What's the easiest way to test so that it functions? Bring it inside the house and hook it up with a battery to speakers?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So my S10 came with a super lovely wiring job for audio and an Alpine BBX T600 amp. I want to sell this as I'm not interested in using it. It should work, but I'd like to test it before putting it up for sale. I've stripped out the wiring from the car (parasitic drain etc), so I can't put it back to test. I do have home speakers that I can plug it into.
I was thinking I could use the car battery to power it and see if it works, but what do I do with the ground wire?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

falz posted:

Ground it to the chassis? That's what I did when I dealt with amps in the 90s.

Also double check specs on the amp vs your speakers, I'd guess the amp wants a 4ohm load and your speakers are 8ohm. Probably fine for the speakers but I suspect it will barely generate any load on the amp.

Thanks. I decided that I don't have the time or interest to mess with this. There is something I deeply hate about car audio, and it's not really the subject itself, but how it's implemented by people. Thinking about messing with this just reminds me of how pissed off I got when I saw the wiring the PO had made. I just put it up for sale as is for cheaper instead.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
All modern head units support Bluetooth music and calls (varying quality though). Carplay and AA are separate applications that run on your phone and stream to a compatible head unit. All the work is being done by your phone.
This fumction comes in both wired (USB) and wireless, and it's down to the compatibility of the head unit. Units that support the wireless Carplay or AA apps are generally more expensive.

There are also after market head units that run Carplay or AA on the head u nit, "separate" from the phone IIRC. I have no experience with these though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nocheez posted:

Wireless AA is soooo nice. I've got a rental jeep gladiator, and aside from being absolutely awful to drive the stereo also blares the local hair metal station until it recognizes that my phone is plugged in. Terrible, terrible UI and integration, you have to exit AA to get to your climate controls.

We're probably seeing the last of the aftermarket head unit market, as more poo poo is getting driven through the infotainment system.

I'm so glad to be rid of touch screen controls and capacative touch controls.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Captain Log posted:

So the general consensus is that CarPlay is a good thing?

This is a car I will drive until it explodes, so I'm not too torn up at the thought of making an investment in whatever head unit I'll be loving around with for the next decade or so.

I had no complaints while I was using Carplay before I got rid of my iPhone. Seamless and does what's needed. This was on an OEM head unit though. I think it's probably an even better idea to get Carplay if you don't already have a ton of car specific functions (like my car had augumented reality and showed arrows "on the road" in the HUD, but didn't work with anything but the stock navigation) and you are just adding to "nothing".

Lowclock posted:

I was curious so I checked and somehow this isn't actually true.

Lmao, I knew there would be an exception to the rule!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Wood screws in cars just says everything you need to know about the PO.