Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I installed one of those CD changer output>Aux adapters in my 2003 Accord and I'm getting a poo poo-ton of alternator whine. I attempted to clean things up by putting in a ground loop isolator but that hasn't really seemed to have had much of a positive effect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean that up, or should I start budgeting for the expensive dash adapter to go aftermarket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Is it happening whether the phone is charging or not?

Happens even when a device isn't plugged in at all.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Seems like you have to keep the stock stereo buried in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij65nB366do

Looks like this gets most of the way there.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120HD...XgaArKvEALw_wcB

Could ask Crutchfield about the upper display retention.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Also, if you're going to go that route, don't buy dynamat. You can find the same stuff really cheaply without the brand name on it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

STR posted:

So was asking about stuff for GF's car.

I went against advice and ordered from Crutchfield. The lowest end Kenwood receiver that had the features she wanted was more expensive on Amazon, and didn't include a harness or mount kit. It's a $90 receiver, mostly around $90-100 everywhere. Crutchfield throws in the basic harness and mounting kit. That and some crimps are all I need.

(now taking bets on how pissy she gets on me getting the cheapest good name brand thing that does what she wanted... the odds are basically "I will definitely lose").

Having used Polk, Infinity, Alpine, and Pioneer speakers, I would also suggest trying Pioneer speakers (only higher end ones; their low end stuff is hot garbage).

I wasn't thrilled with the Alpine speakers I tried, but that was... uh.. before some, maybe most, of the people here were born (it was their original Type R component line I think, around 1997).

I've been really happy with Polk and Infinity.

I still have a set of DDDrive speakers.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

STR posted:

Get a short USB extension cable? If space is really tight, one with a 90 degree plug, like this? (note that that set of 2 has one right angle, one left angle...)

My current stereo (a 2018 or 2019 model Kenwood) has dual USB ports.... and an aux port...

On the back... via individual cables. :fuckoff: The microphone also hooks up to a cable hanging out. :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff:

It's already kinda tight for wiring behind the stereo. I never plan to use those USB cables; my old Pioneer just had a USB port on the back that you could connect an extension cable to (and it included said cable), if you wanted to. Otherwise it was just a port on the back of the stereo. There's plenty of room on the front of my new one for an aux input as well (and GF's Kenwood has it there.. where it belongs), I don't get why they had to stick it on the back like that.

Makes it easier to connect in to a factory USB connection. Also I'd expect most users that are using a USB connection want it wired to a port somewhere in the car and having it in the back there lets you hide the wiring.

They should just unplug from the board if you want to just pop that part of the case open, I did that with my pre-outs on my old 7949 when I picked up the external EQ and routed all the audio to it via AI-NET.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

falz posted:

Sorry, this is off topic. Is there a similar thread for Home Audio? Actually what I'm looking for is something related to a A/V furniture recommendations (floating / wall hanging, like ikea BESTA).

Related to recent discussion- I head a 2000s Maxima with upgraded stereo (Bose?) and it was the hugest pain in the butt to rip out and put in stock stuff. Iirc there was power and an amp at each speaker locally. Seemed dumb.

Bose is overpriced garbage for hip idiots.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I've got the "big 3" wiring upgrade in (1/0, longest run is alternator positive at just over 5ft), and I'm about ready for a high output alternator. When I tested my amp's draw, it was only ~30 amps, but with A/C or defroster, headlights, wipers, running the engine, and actually turning the 12" subwoofer's dial above 2, I think I might be going above the 70 amps my alternator was rated for. I've found a 160 amp that's compatible with little effort, but I don't know if that's too much power. Or if "too much power" is even a thing, google results have been less than enlightening
I know that 160 amps is the potential output at a specific RPM and isn't what will always be flowing out, but is there anything I should be wary of when installing one that could put out more than 100% of what was intended?

I also plan on adding heated seats, upgrading the exterior and interior lighting, and more QoL improvements, so the idea of adding a second battery for good measure is also rattling around in my head

Unless you're going to be running all this poo poo regularly with the car off you don't need a second battery, and that's not what automotive batteries are really designed for anyway.

You'll probably either need to upgrade the feed wires from the alternator to electrical (should go to the primary fuse box and the are going to usually be barely rated for current power levels), or you could run a secondary line direct to the battery (make sure you fuse it). If you do the first thing you'll also need to upgrade the primary fuse (it'll be the first fuse you hit from the alternator lines).

Check and re-check, electrical fires are bad.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I've not bothered with much car audio stuff besides putting in a head unit before and not sure how to proceed. I listen to mostly podcasts and I have to crank the volume to even be able to clearly hear anything, and it just sounds...muddy and unclear. This is via bluetooth and plugged in directly to Android Auto. I've tried dicking with the equalizer settings a bit and shifting the balance and fade but nothing seems to have much effect. I'm wondering if the speakers are just junk, or if it's more because it's a minivan with a huge open cargo area with more road noise and volume. I can talk at a normal level and hear front seat passenger just fine though, so I don't think the road noise is that excessive.

I already put in an Alpine ILX-w650 Android Auto unit but not sure how that's worked out with the stock speakers. I believe it has a 7 speaker system (4 in the doors, 2 tweeters in the dash maybe and a sub in the cargo area) that I don't know if anything outside of the door speakers are being powered anymore (unless they're powered off the door speakers since you're given wires for 4 speakers with most head units...don't exactly have component cables coming from the stock sub that I know of). What is enough to help my cause here? Just replacing the door speakers themselves? I've never dealt with amps and subs and feel that it may be excessive for what I'm looking for but I don't know much about this stuff.

Any advice is appreciated.

Does your source have volume control as well, or does it pass directly to the head unit? If the former, crank the volume up on the bluetooth source all the way, then use your head unit to tune for listening volume.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In a lot of cases too there's some serious diminishing returns when trying to upgrade car audio in current vehicles; as long as you've got okay integration with your mobile device I'd focus on upgrading the speakers/amplifier and just not touch the head unit at all.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

DrChu posted:

I'm in the middle of installing a backup camera in my BRZ. I have the camera installed in the deck lid and starting to work the wiring up to the front. Rather than run a ground to the head unit, I found this in the trunk, it seems like a ground but I wanted to check before using it:

Any wire you attach to the chassis is going to be a ground.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Coredump posted:

drat that's so simple that now I feel like a dummy. :downs:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's one of those things that you don't think about until it's mentioned, and then you'll never forget again.

That particular bolt is clearly intended to be ground, so you'll be fine, but any other handy chassis bolt works too, provided it's not otherwise insulated and it's not covered in paint. Personally I like using seat-belt mounting bolts for amplifier ground.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

So - I'd like some sound in my old cars. In the past I've restored the vintage radios, but my patience is wearing thin on them, I've restored 2 radios to factory spec with aux inputs and they've both failed. I have been looking for a solution that fits my insanity - ive been using a little jbl bluetooth speaker thing, but it honestly sucks and I'd really like to have nicer tunes in these cars.

the entire system needs to be hidden and completely controlled by my phone - I'd love to put the unit under the seat to avoid going under the dash:

I don't have much room in package trays, and I'd really like for the speakers not to be seen at all, as in under perforated fabric - in my station wagon, there is no package tray at all. another thing is that the only place for front speakers would be in the kick panels, because I don't want to cut in to the vintage door panels. honorable mention: both of my cars are 12v and charged by antiquated generators, not alternators, one of them I converted from 6v, so thats coveredish.... another note is that I basically listen to music that your grandparents listened (20s - 50s) to as well as 80s-00s gangster rap - no heavy audiophile requirements although a small sub maybe be kind of fun.

I think the weirdest requirement would be that I would love to have an on/off/volume knob that can be hidden on the dash somewhere. I dont need any real controls, screens or hands free phone. I really

I've seen a few units that kind of fit the bill but this kenwood is the only one that is a name brand - im not thrilled that the volume up down are buttons and not a knob.

https://www.kenwood.com/ca/car/marine/kac-m1824bt/

the price is super reasonable
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-1177...03840801&sr=8-3

as far as speakers are concerned, I think I could do 2x 6.5" in the kick panels and maybe 2 6x9's in the back of the wagon and for my 48, there is one giant hole cut in the package tray.

I'd love your guys input on this.

I'd suggest something like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZNWfK...5YaAlvCEALw_wcB

Or this:

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwit_8BRCoARIsAIx3Rj7hax0tzyg7N7nKRj9PZD4gvfYpsEbwhg1kGCwM-MYGtcEaITFScbkaAqpaEALw_wcB

Retro style and fitment with modern internals. The second link has hidden audio options.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MREBoy posted:

It's a 2014 Nissan Maxima. Supposedly there is a pre-made hole behind the glove box somewhere so that's where I am checking first.

Well the issue is the fact I have to somehow join 2 individual power lines (amp & head unit) to 1 wire going to the positive terminal of the battery. Below picture is the battery wire for the head unit, I have no idea what that connector is called. The corresponding wire on the amp is a pre-stripped yellow, and the 17 ft. chunk of red 12 ga. wire has just a ragged cut end I will have to strip. The kit the red wire came in did include two 12-10 butt splices.

That's a bullet connector, you can get a matching terminal in that size without much effort.

You can feed two wires in to a butt connector, do that. Do not use wire nuts, they'll work loose in a vehicle.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MREBoy posted:

Yes, I have an Alpine ILX-W650 and the matching KTA-450 amp sitting on my dining room table right now. I think what I'm doing wrong is that I somehow got it into my head that both yellow wires marked BATTERY for these 2 separate pieces of equipment have to be wired/connected to the 12 ga. wire that I have to run to the + terminal on the battery, but this is actually incorrect. Since my friend bought this stuff from Crutchfield it came with a large assortment of install related stuff including a Metra 70-7552 Receiver Wiring Harness. If I'm now understanding right the amp alone will get power direct from the battery and I actually hook up the head unit power wire to the yellow 12v wire on the Metra adapter. After that the blue/white wires present on each device will be connected together, ignoring the blue/white on the adapter.

Adapter manual
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Manuals/120/120707552.PDF

Oh, yeah. Trying to run amp power off of that would cause some really entertaining results.

It should have direct, fused power to battery (in my setup, I fuse 6 inches or so from the battery on the main amp power line, then I fuse it at the distribution block where it splits it for my main speaker amp and my powered subwoofer), and then pre-outs and remote-turn on from the head unit.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I bought a little Bluetooth receiver "tile" for my car and plugged it on to the 3.5mm jack and USB power via a cigarette lighter USB charger.
The noise on the audio output makes it absolutely unusable.

Is there either a "power filter" type device for USB or a "known good" charger that won't cause this issue.

Google "ground loop isolator". You'll need one of those, cigarette lighters have absolutely terrible grounds and you'll always get noise if you have audio anywhere near them.

I'm assuming you've checked, but the superior option is to get an aftermarket adapter that patches in to the changer/aux connector, assuming your car has that option. I've got that on the Accord and Bluetooth is squeaky clean since it's patched direct in to the headunit and is powered from it. It also has a usb and 3.5 connector in case I ever want to use something that doesn't have Bluetooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Hell, they've got ones that'll replace your rear-view mirror.