Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

That's a really good idea. Is there any examples of this being done that I could look at ?

My question about that as a viable setup would be appropriate software (would have to be something purposed designed for this as the requirements while driving are much different than those while using it "as designed"), the ability to send A2DP to it/through it (play things off of your phone or iPod), and if there's any possibility of bluetooth handsfree integration.

I've not paid much attention to what's going on in the tablet-as-a-carpc space (if the even exists) so I wouldn't know where to look. Is there someplace where that breed of nerd hangs out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

.not 100% on sending files to the device via bluetooth, however with the correct file manager its possible to view shared files on a computer network if you know how to set things up on the server side via a wireless network.

No normal person wants to do this.

I'm talking about pressing a button that allows the audio from my A2DP paired device to output audio to whatever the tablet is attached to.

Lowclock posted:

There's 8 bazillion different skinnable interfaces and poo poo for this.

So what would one look for to find these apps? Do you have a name of one?

Because I have drat near every android handset as well a couple of nexus 7's and a few other android tablets on shelves at my office. If it's really not poo poo-level "I don't get what people who don't see operating their car stereo as a hobby" type apps that actually just make things happen properly it might be worth it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

If you want to stream audio off of your phone it would be a lot easier to just install a bluetooth capable headunit and pair the phone to it instead of going through the trouble of custom-mounting a tablet in your dashboard.

You're missing the point I'm making: I'm looking for it all. If you're saying a tablet can do that then tell me what I run on it.

I get that if I have only that requirement a production head unit is a better choice.

I'm a geek. I get it. But when other-discipline-geeks tell me something is doable like this I'm gonna ask questions to see how it fits at east basic functionality while adding more for the pain it will likely take to make it work.

I'm not seeing how it works out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

The tablet already has the capability to play music files, so its a bit confusing why you'd care about streaming through it off of your phone.

So when I want some other music I do what.....pull up to my house to grab a wifi signal to sync it/download other music? Tether it to my phone? Remove it and bring it inside?

A smartphone is already something that most people are managing their portable music collection on, and something they regularly have connected to the internet. This is why so many manufacturers make vehicle integration kits for phones or provide for A2DP streaming from a device. It's also going to be the easiest way to use Pandora or some other app that required an internet connection to stream music. Unless you tether to your phone. Or have a hotspot in your car. Or pay for internet service on your car stereo/tablet.

I don't see how this very common method of managing music and why it would be advantageous to be able to wirelessly play it over a car audio system is confusing at all.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 15, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whoops...reply is not edit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

if you were using an Android tablet in the first place, you likely have at least a microSD card.

This started out talking about a nexus 7. When I get back in the office on Monday I'll look for the card slot but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Viggen posted:

v- I believe he was complaining that this was counter-intuitive, despite it being, you know, not specifically designed for this task.

I started posting about this when someone suggested a Nexus 7 as a viable alternative to a head unit. I've yet to see how this works out other than in some edge cases for people who like to play with things more than just use them mindlessly (which I expect to be able to do with a car stereo as I'm engaged in driving when I would be in a position to use one).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

I think the easiest/most cost effective method to do what he wants to do is buy a headunit with bluetooth A2DP (literally all but the cheapest headunits on the market have it as a standard feature) and forget about mounting the tablet in the dash, and instead get a car mount for the tablet.

This isn't what _I_ want to do......

Again, it was brought up that:

Lowclock posted:

Just screw a Nexus 7 case/dock into a dash kit, and get a decent crossover/preamp and you have a better deck then pretty much anything else.

I started by asking what kind of software is available to make that happen and what kind of functionality it has.

The actual answer to that question is "whoever thinks a Nexus 7 is 'a better deck than pretty much anything else' has no idea what most people want out of a deck or how normal people expect to interact with a deck."

Every simple question I've had about using one as a deck has basically been met with "you're doing it wrong" when what I'm asking about is basic functionality found in even cheap head units.

I was honestly hoping that I'd missed a bunch of apps and/or development that made this something workable. Something as well put together as xBMC specifically for the purpose of using one of these as an in-car unit. Obviously that's not at all the case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

davertron posted:

Ok, I know the advice so far is "buy a new HU", but what if I picked this thing up? http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

The price is right, and I don't really care if the quality is garbage as long as sound comes out since I pretty much only listen to podcasts anyway. Could I just wire that directly into my current speakers if I removed my head-unit? I know I still need to get power to it somehow (running a new wire, or maybe taking the current PS and re-wiring it with a cig lighter instead, etc.) but otherwise this kind of thing seems like it would work.

You could wire it into TWO of your speakers. Most head units are 4 channel to run the read deck/back seat speakers.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but it is a complete and total hack job that will take some time to make work (extending speaker lines, mounting, etc) so unless you value your time at absolutely nothing and have the wire and connectors laying around......but a new (or used) HU.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Xarthor posted:

I've never really tackled car audio before, what should be my next step? I'm not looking for some kind of killer sound system, just something moderately priced where I can listen to music either through my iPod or on the radio. Thanks in advance.

You'll need the radio itself. This one should do what you need it to and comes with a free bezel/knob kit of your choosing. Then all you need is the harness to adapter (also available from Crutchfield and free when you buy the radio) that plugs into connectors for your existing radio (so you don't have to hack up the vehicle wiring harness).

Once you get all that stuff you'll use the wiring harness/plugs that come with the radio and attach it to the harness adapter (everything should be labeled clearly so it will be pretty easy). You'll need some electrical tape and even better yet some shrink tubing. Then it's just a simple mechanical install.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 16, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

11BulletCatcher posted:

Does anyone know how I can trouble shoot a 50 year old delco AM radio? Wiring seems easy but I can't get a signal at all. Speakers emit static so I know the radio "works"

Unless you're radio geeky to begin with it's probably not something you'll be able to pull off (assuming you've opened it up up and looked/smelled for obviously burnt components). Fortunately they are very basic and any decent radio repair shop (like commercial 2-way radio) would be able to take care of it. I'd call around and see if any of them are interested in taking it on.

Also, if you know any local amateur radio operators ask them who they know that builds all their own poo poo and would take on a side job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

I thought Bose was more of a case of "hey we used to be good in the mid 90s and are just riding on our name at this point," whereas Monster Cable has always been full of poo poo.

I believe it is, although they never got high marks from the snobbiest of audiophiles in their time.

But a set of 901 still hold up as pretty awesome speakers to this day. No, they aren't stark rendering studio monitors - they aren't meant to be.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

numbs posted:

I want everyone else outside of my car to hear my bass too. Thing is, I'm not making much money at my job

These two things go together.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

originalnickname posted:

There are some line level -> amp converters that support something like that, like the Audiocontrol LCQ-1 might do it:

GTO (Great Turn-On) Circuit: The main speaker level inputs have a signal sensing circuit (GTO) that turns the unit "On" when there's a speaker level input signal, and turns the unit off when the signal disappears.

I'm sure not sure how well that'd work though :/

Why not just use an appropriately sized relay with the amp(s) on the load side and the antenna power lead from the radio on the signal side?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Ah ok. So just to make sure I understand this, the technology of my stock head unit is the limiting factor here, correct?

No, the technology of the external iPhone/iPod interface that was installed is the technical limiting factor in your case, since your head unit has no idea what and iDevice is. Upgrade the interface if there is one compatible with your head unit, replace your head unit, or use an AUX in from the headphone jack and a cigaretter lighter battery charger.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bolind posted:

Not much to do about car audio, but I figured this might be a good place to ask anyway: where can I get that black non-sticky-yet-sticks-to-itself wrap that is used for making cable harnesses? I'm rewiring my car for powered seats, and figured I'd try to make it look reasonably stock.

Suggestions for alternatives also very welcome.

It's called "tesa tape", and it actually is slightly sticky to begin with (to help you get it on and hold in place). It just doesn't stick very well long term, which is a good thing for the application you are looking at.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bolind posted:

Isn't Tesa just a manufacturer of all things tape, just like 3M?

Yes, they are a manufacturer, but a quick amazon or google search for "tesa tape" will show you what you are looking for.

Saying "tesa tape" is like calling a copier a "xerox machine."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Also, dumb question that I didn't see addressed. I know I'm not SUPPOSED to bypass the e-brake lock, but I'm almost 40, I've got no damned interest in watching TV while I drive, but am I seriously going to get a ticket for playing Spongebob so my nephew in the back can watch it?

That depends on how you drive, what you drive, how you dress, and (in most areas) primarily what color you skin is. Sorry, but that's the drat truth.

Pick up a first gen iPad or old android tablet if that's all you want in-car video for. They're bigger and do more than just video.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

johnny sack posted:

Yea that sounds like a major pain in the rear end. Can you run the remote wire to the battery as well? Or will that then drain the battery?

If you do that the amp will always be on. Always. So, yeah....it's gonna kill your battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This is way preemptive, but I'm planning on picking up a 2014 Mazda 3 in the next few months. It will have a Bose system, and no replaceable head unit. What are my options for adding a sub and installing better speakers? Do I even have any without doing some crazy fabrication and stuff?

Order it with a base stereo system - non-bose. Then replace as required.

Basically nothing from the Bose system will be salvageable as it's all stupid and non-standard.

I'm not a Bose hater. I've had plenty of Bose stuff over the years, but you need to understand: it is what it is. If it's not doing what you want it to you just pick the whole thing up and throw it away. You don't add/modify. That's not how it works.