Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I need to get a head unit for my 1986 BMW 325es and I want something basic that I can plug my phone into to stream google play. Mostly I'm looking for something that will mesh well with the E30 interior and isn't a million dollars. Pretty flexible other than that. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023MAD210/Blaupunkt-Madrid-210.html?tp=5684#details-tab

if I buy this am I going to regret it given my above post in this thread?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I bought this receiver for my car, a 1986 BMW 325es. I bought it without a stereo.

http://i.imgur.com/XY5PrAS.jpg (click for huge)
This is what I'm working with, no idea how hacked up it is from the stock harness. Plug on the receiver is just a standard 16 pin Alpine.

Crutchfield says if I use this I can tap into the stock harness, for the speakers at least, but that appears to only connect two speakers, so would I buy two of those for the front and the rears? The big gray cable I know is for the antenna, and the white wire wrapped up with it raises up the antenna or something but I have no idea what everything else is supposed to plug into.

I've never installed a car stereo in my life before so I have no clue what I'm doing. What's the best way to proceed?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

E: ^^^^ Usually there is some sort of adapter kit available. On my old-rear end Corolla, I had to find an adapter from old-rear end Japanese connectors to DIN, and it worked perfectly.

The only adapter kit that I can find is the one I linked from Crutchfield.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
God I'm reading this car audio thread on r3v and this poo poo looks super loving complicated, everything changes from year to year and depending on if you have premium sound or not. Wonder if I should just find an OEM stereo and install that.

e:

OK I got the ETM for my year, from looking at the harness diagrams it looks like the stock harness is there and intact.

rscott fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 26, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I stripped the harness back pretty far and this is what I ended up with.

The only problem I'm seeing so far is that I've only got 4 speaker wires and I need a positive and a negative for FL/FR/RL/RR. Everything else I think I can figure out with the ETM images.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

It looks like the wire feeds go from the head unit to the amplifier, and from there it splits out to your FL/FR/RL/RR. Consider the ones you're looking at right now to be more "pre-out" wires.

So, find where the amp is/was located, you'll be able to patch in to the speaker wiring from there. You should find it anyway, as you're not going to want to run already amplified signal through that amp if it exists.

Or just run new wire.

Yep. I'm running 4 sets of wire for the speakers from where the stock amp is located up to where the head unit is located. I was going to make the harness today at work since we have a much nicer soldering iron than the one I borrowed but I couldn't find anywhere that sold 20awg wire, much less in different colors close enough to get there and back on my lunch break. C'est la vie. I'll have it wired up this weekend one way or another.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ended up getting 20 ft of this for $1/ft, 9 wires in one convenient package.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think they're 16awg, not sure since everything in the BMW harness is metric and doesn't line up anyways.

Well it took me 4 hours, I accidentally cut the plug to the OBC controller so I gotta fix that, but the stereo works finally. God what a lovely job. One of the wires for the left rear speaker was a different color than the ETM diagram which threw me for a loop for a while. Mostly just awkward trying to solder/splice the harness together in the trunk when you're 6'4".

e: Also gently caress BMW trim clips until the end of time holy poo poo

rscott fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm getting some static using the AUX in on the head unit I just installed when my phone is plugged in to the cigarette lighter charger. I guess I should start checking grounds?