Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Are you looking to have a headunit that will kind of fit the look of the car? http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/retrosound.html May have some things you like.

Also, how much room do you have behind the seats? You might want to look into truck boxes/preloaded enclosures built for trucks as they'll be slimmer and built to still sound good in that tight of a space

Thanks for the link, I would definitely like a retro head unit. As for behind the seats, there's probably about a good foot of floor room back there, about two feet high, probably about the same as some pickup trucks. I don't know what truck boxes are, but the description sounds about right.

Where would be a good place to go to talk to someone about it? I live in Phoenix, so name a store and it's probably here. And any estimates for cost?

ErectorBeast fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
[quote="JackRabbitStorm" post=""410232290"]ErectorBeast http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/Truck_boxes.html for truck boxes, but if you are looking at getting everything installed at a shop, look up Mobile Electronics on yellowpages/google and go down to the shop. If you are wary of the shop/seems seedy stop there. Also, you may have issues with them installing a head unit that you buy online, and may be able to get you a retro head unit, but they will mark up the cost. Doing an install, especially in cap like the El Camino will be fairly simple if you have the time
[/quote]

Thanks for the help man, I'll probably go get a quote to see how much it'll be for someone else to do it, but I'll definitely come back to this thread for any advice you guys have.

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Something to consider with an old car, do you want it to look vintage? Are you doing any kind of restoration?

If you just want tunes, and don't mind skipping out on radio and such, you can bypass a head unit completely, and just run an MP3 player or iphone directly to an amplifier setup straight from the headphone jack. Then there's also one less component to steal.

Kick panels will allow you to install front speakers without modifying the doors or door panels, often with better sound due to them being in a real enclosure.

That's what I plan to do on my 1966 car. But it has a pristine untouched dash with the original radio in it, and it looks great so I don't want to mess it up with a modern head unit, and I never, ever listen to CDs or the radio.

Food for thought. Plus it'll save you money. Now you're looking at two speakers, two kick panel boxes, a subwoofer and one 3-4 channel amp.

That's not too bad of a plan. How much would it save me not having to buy a new radio/head unit?

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

And I could always install one later, right?

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

MikeyTsi posted:

You really need to figure out what kind of system you want. Ask yourself, "what kind of music do I want to listen to? Do I want navigation so I can follow it explicitly and drive on railroad tracks and off of bridges? Do I want to be able to connect my phone so I can talk to my friends while driving my dope ride? Do I want to be able to watch "The Fast and the Furious" while I'm street racing?"

The answers to the above questions will give you an idea of what you want for features in a head unit, as well as inform you as to how much power you should be looking at.

Once you have a general idea of what you want then you'll be able to get an idea of a price range.

I don't want to watch movies, I can follow navigation well enough just looking at my phone while driving like an outlaw, and I wouldn't mind radio but depending on costs I may forsake it at least for now. At the very least I want to just plug in my phone and listen to my Spotify. All kinds of music, from the bass-yy to the soprano-y