Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lowclock posted:

Well you only have to do it once, but I also don't know if you can somehow switch between charging and USB OTG. Something like that would be easy to make but good luck buying one.

My Galaxy Note with Android 4.0 supports usb OTG, but when I plug the OTG cable into a powered hub (USB M-M cable) it also charges. I didn't think it would, but it does. Pretty snazzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
98 Olds 88 dashboard gets very, very hot when the heater is on - to the point even the headlight switch on the other side of the wheel gets quite warm. I tracked it down to a leaking "flapper box" in the dash (the box with the vacuum-controlled baffles that mixes the hot/cold air behind the dash) behind the glovebox. Too lazy to fix it properly, though, so I just stuck some putty tape (butyl tape) on it and called it a day.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Protip: If you're a bit confused as to which speaker wire pair goes to which (happens on older cars, all four speakers had a striped purple/purple wire combo in my Plymouth) take a AA battery and make quick contact on the pair (with the car off and battery disconnected, as it already should be during an installation). The appropriate speaker will give a weak "pop" to locate it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
FWIW, I used this isolator for something like 9 or 10 years on an Eclipse amp that needed it (weird issue, fixable, but a GLI was cheaper and quicker), and it served me well. No issues, and pretty cheap. Also kept alternator whine from loving with things for 7 years on my Olds Delta that ate alternators every year or so. It's more expensive on Amazon, but it is surprisingly well stocked in just about every local shop (bulk buying must be crazy cheap on that particular model or something).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The reviews on that amp are pretty bad, pictures of the board found through Google and Chinese supplier sites reveal that it is pretty bad, and you should feel pretty bad for buying it, even though it is only :10bux:.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Put a 10kOhm resistor across the data pins on the charger.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are you trying to go "banging, dawg!" loud or something? What is wrong with 4" speakers? Doesn't seem like it's worth the work.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Screwing a speaker into the existing hole is less.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If the player turns on, a fuse isn't the problem.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are amps that can take the stereo mix from a stock headunit and mux out bass for the sub for that, but it never works as well as it should (the feature is built into good headunits; why can't it be built into good amps?!).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lowclock posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Do you mean low pass filters, or maybe non-fading pre-outs? Mux probably isn't the word you were looking for.

Yeah, I meant high level inputs. My bad. And I haven't had any good experiences with amps in the last five or so years, but that's just me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You've put it more eloquently than I could have. I was going to write something like "my father was an electrician who also did amp installs but he says it has gone to poo poo recently," while trying to imply exactly what you posted, but I don't think I would have gotten the point across.

The ~2001 Polk Audio / Yamaha combo I've been running is very comparable in audio quality and features (even MP3) to current products that cost about twice what the P/Y combo cost when I originally bought it, for example.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Kenwoods are not bad, and I've had one in a beater with an amp and small sub for a few years now and haven't been disappointed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

Whenever I plug my phone or iPod into my headunit (3.5mm), I get interference from the ignition (crackling with my iPod, engine buzz with my phone). Would just rewiring my cigarette lighter straight to the battery fix it? I can't think of a much better way to avoid weird grounding issues, which is what I'm assuming the problem is.

Doing that would also solve the other annoying problem of it being ignition-switched, which drives me insane.

Fix the ground on the stereo, and get a better cable for the iPod connection.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

numbs posted:

I just got my first car, and first job, and I really like bass. I want everyone else outside of my car to hear my bass too. Thing is, I'm not making much money at my job, considering it pays minimum wage. What subwoofers would you recommend?

Kill yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I called a dog rapist a dog rapist (the "things you did as a kid you regret" thread in GBS). Then I learned to stay out of GBS.