Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have been out of the game for some time and need a set of 6.5" Component speakers for my weekend/fun car. I have a Alpine CDA103-BT head unit and I think I still have a 4 channel amp (4x75w RMS) kicking around. Since my last set of old school Rockford Fosgates got stolen, I am wanting to keep this fairly cheap, like some Infinity Kappa CS's. Any other brands I should consider? I have a small 8" infinity sub to toss in the hatch off the other 2 channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Outside of grabbing the pin outs, you will need a 12v constant and switched source, ground, and at least two speakers. The issue with the 86-91 headunits is the tuners/amps go bad all the time. It may turn on, but you won't get any sound. Plus unless someone used a kit for the Pioneer, be ready for cut wires.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe it'll just be easier to fish out the Pioneer to see how bad things are? I don't have any specific tools, any tips, since you know a bit about FCs?

All you should need is a philips head and the little remover tools from pioneer. (Two $1 picks or small screw drivers will do the same thing.) Remove the shift boot, remove the ash try, carefully remove the vents. Remove the two screws under the vents and two screws under the ash tray. This removes the bezel. From here you can see if they used a mounting kit or just shoved it in. All wiring should be visible.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Any recommendations for a aftermarket antenna? My PO removed the wiring and welded the hole up. I bought a cheap one off Amazon and it sounded terrible.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QYSXAS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

everdave posted:

I have no interest in boomin anymore but love watching that crap

Same - SMD - Steve Meade Designs is a worthwhile follow for fellow former trunk rattlers.https://stevemeadedesigns.com/home/

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

We all know that the Ultimate Force in amp teardown and review is Big D over at WillestonAudioLabs

Sure, the dyno he uses was built by SMD, but I challenge you to find someone else on youtube who manages to test more amps - including weird poo poo, cheap poo poo, big brand halo stuff, and the odd 40 year old Orion Cheater Amp. He even did a couple of aliexpress-grade pcb amps which was how I discovered him in the first place, when I was looking at grabbing one to play with. Plus he's an absolute crack up.

https://www.youtube.com/c/bigdwiz

It's the Big D you deserve.

I've been binge watching his dyno tests and 100% agree. It's the Big D I didn't know I needed in my life.
I'm impressed enough I'm going to buy a JP95 and consolidate 3:1 in my trucks system. Now I just need a good
head unit with 5 channel outputs in a single DIN form factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Alpine and Pioneer were my go-to head units for installs in all my friends cars. I've still got a couple of the classics around, but I just want bluetooth and good sound quality. A decent Pioneer looks to only be around $140. Maybe I'll give it a shot.