Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Not quite sure how to explain this, so apologies if it sounds like nonsense.

My car uses 6x8s (97 Thunderbird, if it matters). I have an aftermarket deck and amp, coaxial JL C3s up front in the doors (not sure what their passive crossovers are set at) and C1s in the back, and there's a sub. The doors are deadened. I'd say I have good low end and even mid-bass, and good high end. Despite that, nine times out of ten the midrange sounds bright yet ... hollow. I don't quite know how else to describe it. If the song is "full" production-wise (especially if it's modern), it sounds proper because all the elements are already there. But there's a lot of songs with a dominant midrange, and in those the vocals and brighter guitars sound incredibly one-dimensional -- flat. Basically, midrange parts tend to sound very shrill and lacking in depth, sometimes even if the song has good low end that's thumping along beside it.

Listening to the same things on my home stereo, there seems to be a natural-sounding bleed from the midbass area to the vocal area so that they're complementing one another, and that doesn't seem to be occurring in my car. In the car, it sounds like the midrange is almost isolated from any deeper elements, so that the low and midbass is being made over "here" and the midrange is entirely separate over "there" unless the song is especially full/lush across the board. I've tamed the midrange shrillness as much as I can with EQ adjustments, but I can't make it sound fuller, just less aggravating. Adding more midbass just makes things boomy without spreading any of the depth down to the midrange. Messing around with head-unit crossovers and front vs back balance hasn't helped.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this and, if it's a common thing, what the usual cause is. I know the C3s aren't the most world-shattering speaker, but they're not junk either. All the same, I'm willing to spend more on speakers if need be so I'm open to suggestions there.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yeah, that mic looks easy to come by. I'll check it out. I'm also going to check the seal on the speakers in the doors, in case they were sealed badly.

I've certainly encountered the "sounds better when not driving" effect. Just one more thing I had to compensate for, but by this point I feel I've made every tweak possible through the head unit (including resetting it all, going back to flat, and starting over with different settings a couple of times) and there's nowhere left to go in that regard.

Thanks.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
That's something I hadn't considered, but at the same time Thunderbirds were apparently very popular rides at audio competitions in the 90s, so I don't think that's the case here (unless they always did some standard thing to the car as part of that process that I'm missing out on).