Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Black88GTA posted:

What's your goal with this setup? Are you just trying to go louder?

What style box is it? Back maybe 15 years ago :corsair: I had a box with a window on one end, the sub mounted inside, and a port on the other end. A bit hard to describe, and I can't find a pic of it. I want to say it was an MTX Thunder box, but GIS is failing me for the exact style. Anyway, I got a 2nd sub (same size), mounted it in the same box right up against the existing one (facing it) and wired it out of phase, so that it would be "pulling" when the other was "pushing". :aaaaa: holy poo poo. It was the loudest poo poo I'd ever heard. Power handling went way up, since the two speakers were limiting each others' movement. I've since outgrown that sort of thing, and just have a single 10" in a sealed box in my main car now, but that old setup was super loud, and very clean. I didn't have to sacrifice any more trunk space either. Only problem was that the car sounded like it was going to rattle apart on the outside. Never was able to fix that.

That's a bandpass box, and (as you stated) a push/pull setup. Bandpass is good when you want deep and loud, but it requires more space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Lowclock posted:

Those would be called a single reflex bandpass box, and then a "clamshell" isobaric single reflex. Bandpass boxes are amazing if they're built correctly, but they're harder to design and build than most others. Isobaric is nice too if you have no space.
Well that beat the poo poo out of what I posted!

88GTA: I just did the same thing, gave away a bunch of 90s stereo stuff. Some of it almost new.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Tubes are a waste of volume from a what-I-have/what-I-get ratio. Get a truck box, and if you need to make it function as a larger volume, put stuffing in it. You get a bit of theoretical volume acoustically when you stuff a box.