Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Before I toss them on AI Marketplace or SA-Mart, I'm seeing if anyone on this thread wants them.

Memphis Audio MClass coaxial 5" x7" speakers

http://www.amazon.com/15-MC572-Memphis-MClass-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B005BTPKXC

I had them in the back of my 93 Mercury Capri, and don't use them. They are technically components (external crossover and all), but the tweeter is hard mounted coaxial to the bass driver. The tweeter does tilt around, which was wonderful in setting up a better sweet spot when used as rear speakers in my car. I sold the car at such a loss I didn't even bother to include them for the sale. They're about 2 years old, I don't have any of the packaging or parts other than the speakers, wiring, and crossovers. No grillies, though I could include the baskets and grilles from the Mercury if you are set on them

Now that I think of it, I have some Morel Maximo 5 1/4" coaxials too, I think I have the grilles for them, and the backing plates that make them with with 6 1/2" holes.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

some texas redneck posted:

So not only is my new (to me) car equipped with the GM beeps and bings and bongs and poo poo that go through the stereo, it also has OnStar, and the GM "retained accessory power" ahit.

I'd like to keep the dongs and dings, I don't care about OnStar. My car is apparently a special snowflake though; only Metra/Axxess make a harness that can retain that poo poo. A generic harness will allow the stereo to work, but also kills the RAP and OnStar, plus all of the DING poo poo... I don't plan to use OnStar, but I'd like it to be available for whenever I sell the car. And the RAP is really nice to have at work, since on really slow days I'll nap in the car (falling asleep to NPR or a podcast....)

e: the adapter is $100 online. :gonk:

e2: I actually went to Best Buy, of all places, looking for it. Their tech told me I could use a Cobalt harness if I could find some way to power the beeps/dings/dongs part, and said it's not too difficult to do so. I plan to keep the factory stereo for whenever I sell it, and don't plan to use OnStar, but it'd be really nice to keep the "hey rear end in a top hat your car is overheating" warning chimes and the like...so if anyone knows how to power the factory chime module and keep Retained Accessory Power without a $100+ Metra adapter.......

e3: by keep the factory stereo, I mean it'll be in a box, waiting to get tossed back in the day I sell it. I plan to install the Pioneer head unit from my old car..

The way I know it (may not be correct) is that the stereo routes audio for the Body Control Module, which has OnStar, door/headlight alarms, etc. The $100 kit creates a 'fake' output for those systems, allowing you to put in an aftermarket deck while retaining all of the BCM functionality.