Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm getting my wife a new deck for her car that has bluetooth and ipod connectivity. She wants a mute button, but I can't seem to find any Pioneer or Kenwood with one. So my question is, with the built-in bluetooth, when she receives a call, does the radio automatically mute the music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks guys

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I bought a Pioneer DEH-X6600BT for my wife to replace her 10 year old DEH1500. We don't have the removal tools for the old one but for some reason the tools that came with the new one don't seem to go in far enough to trigger the mechanism. I tried sticking a couple thin allen wrenches in the groove but that didn't seem to help either.

I found these on ebay and they look like they're longer than the ones I'm trying to use. Any other household items I can try to jam in there before I spend any more money?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

JackRabbitStorm posted:

1. Try a butter knife

2. If you have a car audio shop in town (not best buy), go there with the car and ask them if they can do it for you. Typically they will because it takes 2 minutes.

Worth a shot, thanks!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Nocheez posted:

I rented a VW Atlas for a trip last week, and the wireless Android Auto is a gamechanger for me. I would love to get my phone out of my cupholder for directions, and the Waze map on my main screen with Spotify chugging alongside.

I have a 2019 Camry hybrid SE. Despite the promises of the salesman (lol) they have not added any form of Android Auto integration to my car's infotainment system via updates. I am no stranger to installing car stereos, and I was a Pioneer-only guy for the last 2 decades. I don't feel like spending $1300 for what's available at Crutchfield, so I figured I'd ask the Goons what they see. Is a CHIMICHURRI brand or whatever just fine nowadays? Is there a better option for using my car's display but running something else in the background?

Thanks for y'alls time.

I just put a Pioneer W4500NEX in my brz, with a backup camera, and the $200 thing that links it with the OBD/CANbus on the car, and I spent $800. I looked at the lovely chinese tablets that are pretty popular but I didn't want to have to screw around with trying to make something work when I could spend a little more money for something that's literally designed for what I wanted. I have no regrets on any of it, and the wireless android auto is fantastic. I bought everything through crutchfield, but you're going to have a tough time finding head units right now depending on what exactly you want and your budget.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

Maybe someone with more experience will have issue with them, but I got these from Crutchfield and was really happy with them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_669PP500/Posi-Products-Car-Stereo-Wiring-Harness-Connectors.html

I used to solder/heatshrink everything but I bought a pack of these this year when I put a new head unit in my subaru and I'm never going back, they were so easy to use! The only down side that I noticed was it felt like they took up more space in the dash, probably because the connections weren't in a straight line anymore, but they'll still be my go-to from here on out.

Also, regarding splicing RCA connectors, it absolutely can be done in a reliable way. I put a camera inside our horse trailer so we can keep an eye on what they're up to while driving, and a backup camera on the back to act as a sort of rear view mirror. I hooked those up to a video switcher that I keep in the glove box and have the camera signals going through a separate 4 wire connector between the truck and the trailer. Both sides have spliced RCA cables, so that's 4 connections in total and they've been perfectly reliable for the almost two years that I've had the setup.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 17, 2021

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My boat currently has four speakers, I want to add two more and an amp. Does that mean I'll need a 6 channel amp?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks guys, that gives me a few more options.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Planning out an amp install on my boat, my two options are short power cable with long RCA cables or long power cables with short RCA cables. I haven't measured actual lengths yet but the short lengths are 3-5ft and the long lengths are probably around 20ft. Any issues with RCA cables of that length?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Nocheez posted:

I've used long RCA cables for years, much smarter than running a long power wire in a boat. Just buy some decent quality ones, and make sure you coat any exposed electronic metal connections with silicone so it doesn't corrode.

Perfect, thanks