Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is it possible to put a head unit + front/rear speakers in a 1998 Civic for under $200? I went to Best Buy and their installation fees alone were $110, seems ridiculous. I can do this myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Should I jump on this? Trying to save money. How can I find out if it will fit my Honda Civic?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/3472435265.html

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If you didn't see earlier, I'm trying to stay under $200, here's what I have:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR330/JVC-KD-R330.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG1644/Pioneer-TS-G1644R.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777P69/Sound-Ordnance-P-69.html

Totals $184.97

JVC and Pioneer I've heard of, but Sound Ordinance seems like a discount brand. However, the speakers have 4.5 stars with 75+ ratings. What should I do?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Black88GTA posted:

I would bet that the brand is fine - possibly one of those brands that are actually pretty good, but without the Big Brand price tag. That said, all companies (even the big names) have their budget / crap lineup, in addition to the good stuff. Which is usually "OK" but never "great". Both sets of speakers linked have kind of lame power ratings - the SOs at 55w RMS, and the Pioneers at 40w RMS, which really kind of sucks for 6x9" and 6.5" speakers. OK for head unit power, but if you ever decide to build it up and use dedicated speaker amps, you're going to want something with better RMS ratings. I'd consider saving a bit more cash and getting something a bit higher end, honestly.

Thanks for the advice, but I'd really like to keep it under $200. It's not a car I'm planning on putting a lot into (a point A to B car) so I just want a decent sounding setup that I can connect my Android phone to.

With Amazon.com it looks like I can save enough extra to add in an amp, but I have no idea what kind of amp I'm supposed to be looking at. Crutchfield has a number of "Blaupunkt" amps around $50, but I don't know what I'm looking for. Do I need to match it to the power that the speakers will be taking or something?

EDIT: Crutchfield doesn't sell BOSS electronics, how can I find out if this fits my car?

the fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 30, 2012

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

LloydDobler posted:

Don't add an amp, because then you have to add a bunch of wiring that blows your budget. Use the extra budget to go with some higher quality speakers or go up in price on the head unit.

Just so you're aware, that boss unit has no CD player, are you okay with that?

Alright, I just didn't know if I would pop/blow/whatever the speakers if I didn't have an amp.

And yes, now that I found out those exist that's what I'd want. I don't play CDs, and I'd just want to listen to my cellphone. But how can I make sure that BOSS fits my 98 Civic?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Alright then, this is what I'm thinking of getting:

Look good? Also, how do I know what additional installation equipment I need?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Can someone let me know what kind of "Dash kit" I need to install a deck in a 98 Civic?

I have this in my cart currently: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEYJA/

Also, if I'm replacing both front and rear speakers, do I need two sets of these?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How do I make sure I get the right "dash mounting kit" for a 98 Civic?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, my 98 civic has "two" bays. I can't find a picture for it, but the radio deck is separate from the cd deck. The cd deck sits down behind the drink holders.

I'm assuming that the standard replacement is to replace the radio deck, but if I get rid of the cd deck I'll just have an empty hole there. What kind of thing can I get to fill it?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Finally installed my stereo deck today. Took 4 hours but it was a fun learning experience.

A few questins/issues:

1. The front left speaker doesn't work. I am not sure if it worked prior (this car is from 98). But I double checked all the speaker wires (front positive/negative) and they appear to be working. Any other way to test?

2. The antennae does not work AT ALL. Here's the confusing part: The wiring harness has a solid blue "Antennae" wire. The deck has a BLUE WHITE STRIPE wire and a BLUE YELLOW STRIPE wire. The BWS says "for amp power or antennae" and the BYS says "for steering wheel remote." HOWEVER, the instruction manual for the wiring harness says "Blue is for antennae" and "Blue white" is for amp power. I tried both, and neither get me any signal. What am I doing wrong? (Radio worked fine on stock deck).

3. My stock deck had some kind of 1/8th stereo cord that plugged in the back of it. It's now sitting loose behind the new stereo. I have no idea what it goes to. What does it go to?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is the "1/8 stereo" a bit more like this?

That's the actual antenna signal wire. The only wire in your harness for the antenna is to automatically raise/lower a power antenna as needed.

Yeah that's it. So where do I plug it in? My deck has no sort of plug for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

LloydDobler posted:

edit: Unless you got a unit so cheap it doesn't have a tuner function. Did you?

Wait, poo poo... Is that what that black hole is on the bottom left? God I'm such an idiot :doh: