Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
I'd like a new receiver for my 2015 Honda Civic LX Sedan with a screen that support CarPlay. I looked up compatible headsets on crutchfield and they seem to fall into ~$300--400, but mostly brands listed as bad in the op and $1000+ Kenwood ones. Is there really no in between here? If the $400 ones work I'd probably just go with that so I'm curious if these brands have improved. I also found this rando Chinese one that on paper seems to do everything I need, but I'm out of my element/understanding here.

Some other questions I have are:
  • What does iDatalink-ready mean? Only the Kenwood ones listed above seems to be ready for that, but the description is really generic.
  • The cheaper ones all say (with a red cancel sign) "Hardwired connection to parking brake required." Does this mean the kit doesn't support this by default? Or is it just a warning to make sure I connect that wire so it works?
  • I already have a rear camera, but it seems that some of these come with a camera. Anything I could do with that? I can just keep using my existing backup camera, right?
The expensive Kenwood ones seem to support more features with the extra install kit, so I suppose I'm leaning that way. Especially since it's unclear to me how to do the parking brake connection myself. But would be happy to save a lot of money if I can go with the others just as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
Ah okay, that makes sense given all the features supported by the Kenwood ones. Thanks!