Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Lowclock posted:

I've heard Optima quality has suffered in the recent years, but I'm not sure how true that actually is. There's enough companies making AGM batteries now that I don't think they really have much of an advantage anymore beyond marketing.

It has. I went with Optima for my project car and I went through two that wouldn't hold charge in 4 years. The quality is no longer there. I guess their patents ran out, they sold to Johnson Controls and all manufacturing went to Mexico and now they're just like anyone else.

Odyssey has a good rep but I have no experience with them at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I think they're the best of the non proprietary units. They run basic android and you can load whatever you want. I think the name brand units are much more locked down, I could be wrong though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

My Joying head unit still boots from scratch if I let the car sit for 4 days or more but it's only crashed 2x (once I had to pull over and switch off the car) and it hasn't reset and erased my apps and settings ever since I switched out the media player app a year ago. New media player is better anyway.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 19, 2023

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah when I've had issues like that it was because I was mis-identifying which frequency range I was actually missing and I'd learn something new like it was my crossover points rather than EQ that was screwing it up. Play with more settings or get a mic feedback setup like Lowclock suggested.

The other possibility is something I run into all the time, where you set it up to sound good while parked and then noise from the car or the road wipes out certain frequencies and it sounds terrible when driving. That's the worst problem with my convertible, I had to set it up to sound good at around 45 mph, which is where I spend most of the time driving. Highway speeds with the top down, you can't hear the stereo well enough to enjoy it, and stopped it sounds all muddy.

Last time I didn't like the way something sounded a friend agreed it sounded like rear end so he set things back to default and then played with it from there, and made it sound great in a few seconds. I had gone down a rabbit hole where I reduced some frequencies in the EQ to try and eliminate some high volume distortion. But that forced me to increase the gain which ended up distorting a wider band and I ended up sounding even worse than if I just used the default "rock" eq setting. The worst part is that I was chasing particular badly produced tracks trying to make them sound good instead of making known good ones sound good and ignoring the bad ones. My friend set me straight.

But yeah I'm also mad that my living room setup sounds so much better across all tracks. I think it's just the low noise environment.