Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I added in an aux-in on my stock 96 deck that looked like this (I think): http://www.miata.net/garage/radio_images/CIMG0351.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Lets just say I got the money spent on both back and turned a profit after selling the red one for 800.

On tape adapters, cheaper ones have the output on only one side of the metal head. On my 97 I had to flip the adapter a few times to find the right combination. Also, does the unit work with regular tape? Sometimes they just go bad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

I added in an aux-in on my stock 96 deck that looked like this (I think): http://www.miata.net/garage/radio_images/CIMG0351.jpg

I have that same deck in mine. How'd you do it, FM modulator?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a plug on the back, and you just need to tap into the right ones. I think I had to use some archive.org poo poo back in 2007 in order to get it to work. It's been forever (quite literally).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Found it, thanks. I wonder if Mouser has a proper connector for it instead of making paper clip pins.

e: Looks like it's 13 pin DIN.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 4, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah, good luck soldering to that tiny motherfucker. I tried to do the aux in and just gave up on that lovely soldering job and crappy plug I bought from radio shack and bought a real deck. I'm perfectly happy with my $60 Dual cd player with BT, aux in and USB. It's basic but it does everything just fine and leaps and bounds better sounding than the stock one.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, one of the perks of my secondhand miata was the Sony deck with BT, AUX, and USB. The headrest speakers even work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That the M/20 DIN connector. The one I had was different and used a different connector. It was a 12 or 14 pin molex.

I was wrong, but this looks about right: http://miata.fosketts.net/index.php?title=CN200

And here's a post from literally 6 years ago: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=258912

Because I can't stop editing: http://forum.miata.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=97904&d=1262705457

The last link is pretty much what I had, and I put an LED on the switch because "lol blue LEDs" and seeing LINE on the head unit wasn't enough for me. Also, thanks to mnet, the picture I took of my headunit but was lost via waffleimages still lives:

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 5, 2013

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Well, we are turning the :fruity: dial all the way to 11 here.

Sold the blue 02 and the proceeds just happen to cover a slightly better 02:

Canadian special edition, black leather interior with silver trim, one owner 66k miles and everything working(so far).

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I liked this thread when you had the 1992 NA.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is like that one red paperclip guy except you're just trading Miatas.

Think you can get into a PRHT before the end of the year?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
4:1 he has a prototype ND before december, complete with razzle dazzle camo wrap.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It'd be one year anniversary of purchasing black 92 on the 21st.

Four Miatas under one year. My insurance broker gets funny when I call them.

There is gotta be some moral or warning here about buying cheap miatas.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My insurance broker is pissed at me owning three Subaru Imprezas at the same time so I can only imagine what they have to deal with when the Miatas aren't even different sub-models.

I must admit I have thought about buying a cleaner Miata so I don't have to deal with finding someone to do my rockers.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I've had too much coffee on the ride back from getting the car, so let me tell the story of how this came to pass.

On friday I was fondly thinking about the 97 green as the colour I liked the best on a miata. Upon further reflection only two colours really appeal to me, the mica green and the original 91 bright yellow. So when this 02 SE pops up on kijiji a couple of hours later, it seems like an interesting coincidence. By the way ifttt makes classified alerts into SMS so I know of any miata related item for sale pretty drat fast.

So this 02 is priced pretty low, just low enough to get me thinking I could afford it if I sold my blue for a similar amount and then cover any difference from hard top resale funds. I call the seller in Ottawa, 4 hour drive away, to ask some basic question. It doesn't sound too terrible but he also mentions that he can only show the car on Sunday or Monday. This gives me just enough time to put into action a plan "why the gently caress not".

List blue 02 for sale on Friday night. Have a buyer show up with full amount in cash on Saturday evening. Great, no car (and I'll never find a deal that good again).

On Sunday morning find a ride share to Ottawa and find a way to sellers house. Call seller every hour starting at 10am to try and schedule a meeting. Nothing but answering machine until 3 pm. Schedule for 4. Point at problem areas, wave cash, negotiate, negotiate , negotiate while other people call to schedule a viewing. Settle on a price surprisingly close to the amount of cash from blue car sale. Slap plates on and drive home for four hours.

I'll have to pay taxes and safety/emissions on it so there are some upgrade costs. Hopefully it won't need much to pass. I'm just a bit shocked it actually worked so far. There are a few ways this could all derail quite nicely.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

hahaha, you're nuts. Sell your only car and can't get ahold of the seller? I'd be making GBS threads bricks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

hahaha, you're nuts. Sell your only car and can't get ahold of the seller? I'd be making GBS threads bricks.

I've gotten ahold of a seller, sold my car and promptly had the other car sold from under me before :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I will never have less than 2 cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's how I do things now, that was in my younger/dumber days.

In fact I'm getting ready to pick up a third car so the Miata can stay on toy and alternate duty :)

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Rear caliper parking brake adjuster, very disappointing:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
For posterity, pictures of the blue 02 before it went away:

I've also got another $400 hard top last month, scratched up in storage:

This one paid for a road trip to NYC.

Driving in Brooklyn was interesting. Lots of big trucks trying to make it trough tiny streets, like this one backing up repeatedly for 10 minutes trying to make a turn:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
All this has happened before and it will happen again. I wish there was a plan.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I'm loosing my deal finding edge. Missed out on a $1500 93 white with hardtop, then $1300 91 BRG with ht and a jdm1.8 transplant. Was trying to find a cheap ride for the winter. Yellow is just too nice.

The fact is I'm at my spending limit with the yellow. Can't afford any interesting additions if I keep it. Just too nice of a car for cheap stuff.

Have a lead on sub 3k 97 but it's a bit rough cosmetically. I'd have to sell the yellow to get it, so I've put it up on cr as a feeler.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm pretty jealous of your deal-finding ability. In AB, there's $3000 NAs with worse rust than my old one. The only reasonable deals have been ex-autocross cars - also with rust - and a $1500 car with so much rear quarter rot that the trunk was exposed.

There are a bunch of "always garaged, never seen winter" 90-91s that are $5k+. Those don't have hardtops.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
We can't have nice things just yet. Yellow would have to become a daily driver this winter and it's way too nice of a car for that. Tentatively sold. If inspection goes well next week it'll retire to a farm upstate to be used for Sunday drives by a nice retired couple.

Back to trawling the bottom of the market for a replacement.
Looked at all of the craigslist yesterday. Way too many "rare automatic with 120k miles only 6k" NA ads. Other auto avoid keywords most certainly involve "raceland coilovers" and " slight rocker rust".

I mean how bad could this possibly turn out:
http://bit.ly/16ClKIw

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I saw that one too. I was like "eh, paint's a little bad, a dent in the fender..." then I hit the interior pictures.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Oh god. That eBay 95 in non running, complete mechanical mystery, trashed interior condition went for 1825. I was promised cheap cars when I joined the Miata playground, where are my cheap cars?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Drifters (and their less talented cousins, the sticker kids) got them.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've been winter convertible shopping and, despite some brief moments of fiscal insanity where I start looking at NCs and W30 MR2s, will probably end up with the cheapest Torsen-equipped NA or NB I can find. It seems like everything cheap I can find so far is lacking the LSD, hideously modified on the outside and idiotically modified on the inside - to the point where it'd double the cost of the car just to set things right.

For some reason I'm OK fixing a car with honest problems, but paying to correct someone's needlessly poor taste really bugs me.

blk fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 28, 2013

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
There's a pretty clean green 99 with leather in California on craigs this week with a cracked rad for asking 2.5k. I don't feel like flying cross country to negotiate, but it could be a good roller or head gasket practice or just add water case.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Looks like you don't have PMs on your account; I'd be interested in sharing search results if there's a good way to communicate off thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd be interested in that too. Set up a Google group or something?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I know nothing about google groups at all. Changed AI profile to public email, it's just @gmail anyways.

Let's see what I've dredged up on the weekend. People just don't seem to respond to emails anymore, baffles the poo poo out of me for a "for sale" ad.

Top of the list right now, I want this one, it hits all the proper value spots for me plus an adventure that doesn't get anymore cross-country:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4153314394.html

quote:

I have a 1994 Mazda Miata that I am looking to sell quickly. The clutch, transmission, engine, and most other systems in the car are in good shape. For the most part it is in working order, but there are a few issues that need to be fixed before it is taken on the road, and other minor problems. The issues are as follows.

1) The cooling system needs work. It was in working order only two days ago, but just yesterday had a problem and steam came out from behind the engine. Note it was steam, not smoke. It has not been run since, so the engine will not have been affected.
2) The tires are quite bald
3) The ground wire to the battery is corroded and will need to be replaced (very inexpensive, but it is an issue)
4) The motor for the power windows work, but the mechanism that moves the drivers side window up and down on the track is snapped and will need to be replaced. All the electrical for the windows including the switches have been replaced.

Basically I am not going to do the work to get this car going again, but it is a fantastic little car and has served me well. It has been in my family for the past 14 years, and was regularly serviced throughout that time. I am selling for a low price because I know that it will take some time/work/money to get it back on the road and I know that some enthusiasts really like restoring this model. Let me know if you are interested. $600 for the car, $900 if you would like the hard-top for it also. (the hard-top itself costs $500)

On the other end of the scale we have this, which is perfect and hits all the "want" buttons, but is priced out of my range:
http://up.craigslist.org/cto/4080864111.html

quote:

Original owner, Leather interior, "M" Edition, includes Nardi wood shift knob, many extras, includes factory hardtop, A/C does not blow cold air, all else works great. Everything is original except tires and windshield wipers. 48,500 miles. Manual 5 speed, 1.8 DOHC engine. Beautiful factory chrome aluminum wheels, Marina Green. Complete factory manuals included. Bilstein struts were standard on this model. Last of the "frog eyes" pop up headlights. Great car!!

Automatics are half price, as god intended:
http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/cto/4143034120.html

quote:

Hi I'm selling my 97 Mazda miata mx-5-edition convertible. ONLY 85k -Transmission
Automatic-rare for miata. Engine 4-Cyl, 1.8 Liter-Great On Gas. Runs excellent. Looks excellent.Very well kept no rust. It has optional limited features such as a wooden hand break, custom floor mats, nice interior, nice seats,Cruise Control, air conditioning, power steering, auto windows, cup holders, New Speakers, etc..

Work done on the car: timing belt changed at 50 miles, NEW inspection,New Breaks all around, Tires in great condition,Full service done on the car cost $750. have paperwork on all things changed to the car.

the bad: the volume on the stereo doesn't work very well.

Overall its a great lil car to drive around town or on a trip.reason why im selling is because i have a baby on the way so i bought a new honda civc.

$3400 or best offer

Not too bad of a deal but blue, do they have rust in KY?:
http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/4099072463.html

quote:

I have a super clean 96 mazda miata. it has 129xxx miles on it and will go up due to being my daily driver. The car is the special M edition, therefore its has all tan leather seats with the hardwood grain look. It is a 5speed the clutch grabs good, absalutley no slipping, you can shift through all 5 gears with one finger. The interior is in excellent shape, it does have an aftermarket radio. power windows, cruise control. It has the good 1.8 motor, also with limited slip rear end. everything on the car works great, it has the hardtop and softop. i bought the car off an older couple that always left the hard top on, so the soft top window dry rotted and is brittle, but still looks great. underneath the hood is in immaculant shape!! no leaks of any sort, the motor is by far the cleanest youll ever come across guranteed.
car is rear wheel drive
gets around 32 to 35 mpg

Cheap someone else's project for the adventurous:
http://roseburg.craigslist.org/cto/4133611581.html

quote:

1996 Mazda Miata MX5 supercharged, 1.8L, 5spd, 124,XXX,
A/C, Cruise, Power windows and mirrors, Black paint,
Black Leather seats, Black Soft top with glass (zipper portion needs repair),
New: tires, Alignment, Valve cover gasket, radiator, timing belt and water pump.
Runs great! $3850.00

Price tells all you need to know obviously:
http://waco.craigslist.org/cto/4140898963.html

quote:

96 Mazda Miata - $12000 (Waco )

But price and pictures are still nice to have in an ad:
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/4128298854.html

quote:

Mazda miata 97 clean only 50k miles my unle has had the car since 98 he bought it with 7k miles and has not abused it its black convertible no rips in interior or top no problems everthing is great the only thing wrong with the entire car is passenger window dosnt go down which is like a 50 dollar part if its a problem if you buy the part i will fix it

IL has some interesting options:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/4144609420.html

quote:

I have, for sale, ALL the Mazda Miata donor parts needed to build a Exomotive Exocet. With these parts all you will need to buy is the kit from Exomotive. Kit information can be found at http://exomotive.com/exocet/ .

All parts are from a 2001 Mazda Miata donor car.
- Engine: 1.8L
- Transmission: 5 - Speed Manual
- 130k miles
- Full suspension
- Complete front and rear subframes
- All steering components (including steering column and wheel)
- Complete brake system (including all lines, booster, valves, calipers, new rotors and pads)
- All electronics ( harnesses, ecu, gauges, relays, fuses boxes)

The pictures below are pictures of the car as it currently sits.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

iv46vi posted:

Top of the list right now, I want this one, it hits all the proper value spots for me plus an adventure that doesn't get anymore cross-country:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4153314394.html

Buy hard-top, get free car. Wish there were ads like that round here, I'd snap that up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Invites sent. That supercharged one is closeish to me, not sure if I'd want to take that on, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The steam one is leaking CAS o-ring and the heater hose finally swelled up and let the coolant piss onto the exhaust.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Phone posted:

The steam one is leaking CAS o-ring and the heater hose finally swelled up and let the coolant piss onto the exhaust.

Either that or low coolant -> overheating -> warped head.
Personally I'd prefer to loop heater hose on itself in the parking lot and be done with it.
Alas he's not answering emails.

blk posted:

Invites sent. That supercharged one is closeish to me, not sure if I'd want to take that on, though.

If the car's otherwise good rip it out and sell.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Who's feeling lucky?

2004 MSM full of surprises and under 7k :
http://bit.ly/17nTMBd

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iv46vi posted:

Who's feeling lucky?

2004 MSM full of surprises and under 7k :
http://bit.ly/17nTMBd

Much like the rev limit. :v:

Seriously, doesn't the Mazdaspeed have a lower rev limit and barely enough extra power to match the non-turbo's power/weight ratio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
MSM exist in limited numbers and are the top crop of NB(and NA by extension) models. Affordable modern-ish factory-turboed cars that are fun to drive. Prices stayed north of 10k for a long time but seem to start coming down now. A salvaged title with full front clip needing replacement went for 5k by itself this fall. It's not a bad price for a 2004 miata, you just get a turbo and surprise accident damage in the deal.

• Locked thread