Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Remind me never to buy a car from up North.

I've literally never seen that much rust on a vehicle since the 1970's. When I pulled the lower a-arms off my 8 year old 110,000 mile Miata, the only rust I could find were a few tiny pinholes where rocks had compromised the paint. A little bit of a bath and they looked like new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

SierraEchoBravo posted:

There's hardly any rust on that car. :colbert:

Mind. Blown. I'll try to snap some pictures of what neglected cars look like around here.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

iv46vi posted:

Small details give character.
One of my own big personal gently caress ups was trying to tighten down the valve cover bolts with a Harbor Freight torque wrench. I thought it was just a hell of a kick when it reached the torque setting, but no, it was snapping bolts in half all along. I got to bolt #5 before figuring that out.
Actually, the problem is more likely that the torque setting is usually given in inch-pounds, not foot-pounds. You should be torquing to 43-78 inch pounds or 3.5-6.5 foot pounds. I suspect your HF torque wrench can't even measure that small.

• Locked thread