Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sol Cresta's like a lot of other Platinum games in the sense that every system is kinda gimmicky and not necessarily that fleshed out on its own but just having them all in there at once, it wraps around to being interesting and different.

It's also ugly as poo poo and doesn't run that well and really long and has a worthless story expansion as paid DLC and a million other nitpicks.

Reive posted:

Any reason to get the ps version of doj over switch? I'd prefer switch but it's been hit or miss

The difference between M2's stuff on PS/Switch boil down to input lag (sometimes equal but usually a frame behind on Switch) and save data capacity for stuff like save state slots (Switch has a hard cap on save file size for games released physically, which means they can't offer as many save state slots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sol Cresta's like a lot of other Platinum games in the sense that every system is kinda gimmicky and not necessarily that fleshed out on its own but just having them all in there at once, it wraps around to being interesting and different.

It's also ugly as poo poo and doesn't run that well and really long and has a worthless story expansion as paid DLC and a million other nitpicks.

Got it. Wait until the game and dramatic DLC are $10 or less combined. Or just never if I can't be arsed when that day does arrive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Angel at Dusk feels like a game that should have a way worse English translation than it does (complimentary)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't really play shmups. I accidentally found DRAINUS at one point which I loving loved but I haven't managed to find anything that hit the same notes for me.

I'm trying Angel at Dusk right now purely because I dig the art quite a lot. Very unique art style that I rarely see.
Most I'm just baffled at every point. That game is like delving into the stream of consciousness of a schizophrenic and I can't stop looking at it in morbid curiosity.

What the gently caress is that music though? It constantly alternates between Touhou-esque doo deelee do do MIDI...thing...interspersed with tracks of someone rolling their head on their synth.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a lot of really satisfying taking apart enemies in chunks in Angel at Dusk. Burned through the first 2 arcade modes (think there's a third, not sure how to unlock it), then started spending a lot of time in Chronicle mode. It's got a big, branching tree of stages, and enemies drop level-scaled weapons that you can equip in between runs or eat to convert into currency for permanent upgrades.

To be clear, it's not a roguelike, all of the stages are pre-designed and you can choose to start at any one you please, though you may want to jump in a little further back to level up some before you get to where you're actually going. It's just got random loot.

If you enter a stage 3 levels higher than your equipped main weapon it goes nuts and every enemy starts shooting 3 times as many bullets, which I guess is just a way to kick you out, but it's fun to see how far you can get at that point too.

Turning on "esports mode" in the options turns all the bullets into more typical ones, which is kind of lame but I really struggled to see the little squiggly tentacle bullets the popcorn enemies shoot!

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 14, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Turning on "esports mode" in the options turns all the bullets into more typical ones, which is kind of lame but I really struggled to see the little squiggly tentacle bullets the popcorn enemies shoot!

Under Options - Colors you have a bunch of different settings for highlighting those bullets without having to gently caress up their intended visuals. It's really nice.
I made all the bullets be highlighted with a slight purple shadow and it stads out really well against the background that way.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I tried the Angel at Dusk demo. I'd buy the game right now but I don't like the aesthetic at all. As is I'll wait for a big sale.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Picked up Angel at Dusk. Even the very first screen where you select your input method is kind of psycho

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzLhP1SeDZA

Always cool to see shmups at GDQ events. But I don't think that's the PC version? MBL 1.1, on PC, last I heard, has zero slowdown anywhere. Did they fix it at some point?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

remember there're two Deathsmiles PC ports now, according to Steam reviews the City Connection version has more accurate slowdown.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Angel at Dusk has got to be the same freeware giger Galshell dev from 50y ago right? that was an interesting series to find in late high school early college.

last time i messed w mame, ketsui wasn't available — gonna be very busy for the foreseeable future.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

spider wisdom posted:

Angel at Dusk has got to be the same freeware giger Galshell dev from 50y ago right? that was an interesting series to find in late high school early college.

last time i messed w mame, ketsui wasn't available — gonna be very busy for the foreseeable future.

make sure to enable MAME's low latency mode if you haven't done so. shaves off a frame of input lag. it's under advanced.options iirc.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

Yes, Akiragoya is the Galshell dev, among other works.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Any recommendations for shmups that have light scoring systems that don't really matter that much for survival? I just want to dodge bullets and get upgrades and kinda zone out, not have to strategize big score outputs to get extends.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Reive posted:

Any recommendations for shmups that have light scoring systems that don't really matter that much for survival? I just want to dodge bullets and get upgrades and kinda zone out, not have to strategize big score outputs to get extends.

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

Reive
May 21, 2009

fez_machine posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

Not really looking for a rogue like, just a traditional 5 stage shmup, preferably vertical. But I'll add that to my wishlist.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think it’s more common than not for the score system to be kind of ignorable for light survival play. Dodonpachi is always a fun time.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Reive posted:

Battle Garegga Premium Mode in the M2 port. Drops gravitate toward your ship, and the rank is static. Feels like playing regular BG but manageable.

Mecha Ritz has a fun drop system. It does impact score and extends, but iirc it's all about breaking the items quickly and snagging them, rather than chaining or something that needs planning. Difficulty is relatively low too, especially if you mind the rank system.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 21, 2024

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Reive posted:

all of them if you ignore the scoring system. I guess maybe ones that are less dependent on awarding extra lives based on score

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

in hellsinker, you can safely ignore the scoring system, the other scoring system, and the other other scoring system if you're going for a 1cc, though it'd benefit you to pay some attention to the other other other scoring system in order to delay shrine as long as possible and get a refill on extends later rather than earlier

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Reive posted:

Noiz2sa
https://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/noiz2sa_e.html

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 22, 2024

Reive
May 21, 2009

Oh I forgot about this guy's games! Heck yeah

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oh hell and drat yeah. I remember needing to put together a ridiculously complex tool chain to compile that for the dreamcast with a custom soundtrack

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Reive posted:

Mushihimesama original mode has very simple scoring

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXtlrWdD_jU

clippa
Jan 6, 2009
Always Surrender - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434200/Always_Surrender/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmCPa7Hzoug

This is great fun, very addictive. Six different modes (Normal, novice, timed, classic, expert, and pacifist), with online leaderboards for each separate mode, and it's cheap (£2.88 with the launch discount).

Would be great to see the leaderboards filling up.

In the regular mode, you lose your bonus if you die before surrendering. That's the idea, push it as far as you can and whack that button right before it all goes tits up.
There's also a classic mode that is endless without the surrender mechanic, just keep going for as long as you can.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a canonical "correct" controller for these games, like arcade games and arcade sticks? Or does it not really matter?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it doesn't. there are people who swear by using the keyboard. generally you want something digital and snappy so you can tap in tiny precise movements, but if your squishy analog stick feels better to you that's fine

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 30, 2024

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Old thinkpad keyboards for Touhou Project, arcade sticks for everything else

Nah but it seriously doesn't really matter as long as you use what you're comfortable with. I guess a keyboard/hitbox sort of setup would be the Objective Best insofar as there were one, but not by a great enough margin to be worth adapting if you're already comfortable with something else.

Personally I prefer arcade sticks on the whole and can't really hang with most gamepads, but I've been playing the M2 Aleste Collection on my Switch with an 8bitdo M30 since it has that Game Gear/Genesis/Saturn type gamepad so I can tell myself it's more "authentic"

e: Part of me kinda wants to build a custom "stick" with arrow keys on the right hand side so I can try Touhou controls for everything but I am not under the impression that I would actually stick with it

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 30, 2024

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

only incorrect choice is an old/bad keyboard with key rollover problems

well i've also tried a decent number of gamepads that kind of suck for shmups because they can get stuck moving from one diagonal to the opposite, which is a movement that doesn't really come up very often in other sorts of games

like this:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 30, 2024

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

lets hang out posted:

only incorrect choice is an old/bad keyboard with key rollover problems

well i've also tried a decent number of gamepads that kind of suck for shmups because they can get stuck moving from one diagonal to the opposite, which is a movement that doesn't really come up very often in other sorts of games

like this:

It's also helpful to directly and briefly tap a diagonal from a cardinal direction. This enables a sort of "braking" maneuver, particularly against the rearword edge of the screen. Hold down then tap a diagonal to inch sideways. I can never do this on dpads except Saturn style

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I cleared ZeroRanger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17to5CtmeII

I started playing this after I finished Void Stranger, and it's a really neat game. Its strong points are (I think) its great sense of aesthetics and spectacle, and the variety of situations the game puts you in, combined with the various weapons. And the soundtrack is sick. My only real complaint is that there's not a good practice mode.

I can see why it's so well-regarded! As a 1cc it wasn't too bad. The game hands out a lot of extends, especially if you're low on lives, but there's no bomb so it doesn't feel absurdly generous. Since there are more extends later in the game, I found the most important thing to be practicing the late game. I could imagine the game's length could get frustrating if I failed a lot of runs.

I think I see the influence of Hellsinker on the game, too, both tonally with its themes of suffering, repetition and enlightenment, and in terms of the game providing you with a wide variety of situations to deal with. It's interesting how much ZeroRanger and Star of Providence have in common, given that iirc both groups of devs were active in the English Fraxy scene.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
funnily enough hellsinker is one of the few games that DIDNT inspire zeroranger. the devs have stated they didnt know about the game until the comparisons started happening. the themes of zeroranger are a pretty straight treading of buddhism

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

drat seriously? I know hellsinker didn’t invent buddhism but I figured it did invent fighting a giant computer

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you do fight a giant computer as the... 2nd to last boss(iirc) of kamui, off the top of my head

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

icantfindaname posted:

Is there a canonical "correct" controller for these games, like arcade games and arcade sticks? Or does it not really matter?

Do not use analog sticks. You will have a very bad time doing it that way.

Otherwise, anything goes. I'm a d-pad shmupper myself. I'd say most of the "pro" players use JP-style microswitched arcade sticks, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You fuckers actually got me looking at arcade sticks! :rant:

The problem is that I'm SHMUPing across a wide range of systems, and I don't want to have a bunch of the things. Is the best approach to get an 8BitDo Arcade Stick and a bunch of their wireless adapters, and write off the PS4 and 5 as "too newflanged?"

I blame Mike Chi and Krikzz for enabling my bullshit. :mad:

EDIT - Ah crap, they're even 20 bucks less on the 8BitDo shop than through Amazon, so I could get an arcade stick and PS1/2 adapter for less that a hundred bucks. Another 20 if I want to cover the Genesis, too. Any reason I shouldn't impulse buy?

After The War fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
My only regret about getting an arcade stick is that I didn't do it sooner