Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

After The War posted:

Is the best approach to get an 8BitDo Arcade Stick and a bunch of their wireless adapters, and write off the PS4 and 5 as "too newflanged?"

Any reason I shouldn't impulse buy?

I can't say anything either way about the adapters, but a couple caveats about the 8bitdo stick itself:

- I found it pretty uncomfortable to use before long, as the sharp bottom left corner dug into my palm. That may be an issue with how I hold sticks more than anything else, but I'm a lot more comfortable with cases that are a bit larger.

- The stock parts (stick itself and buttons) are fine to start with, but they're not great. This is an easy upgrade for most sticks, but swapping out the joystick for the 8bitdo stick is significantly more of a pain than their site will have you believe. (You'll need to change some of the cabling and make sure the stick you want to swap in will fit in the small case in the first place.)

It's a fine starting choice if you need Switch compatibility and aren't convinced about this whole joystick thing yet, but if I were you I'd poke around and look for a cheap/used Hori Real Arcade Pro V for Switch before pulling the trigger just in case. (Caveat that I also don't know what the converter situation is for those either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Johnny Landmine posted:

- I found it pretty uncomfortable to use before long, as the sharp bottom left corner dug into my palm. That may be an issue with how I hold sticks more than anything else, but I'm a lot more comfortable with cases that are a bit larger.

With how I hold the stick it usually digs into my wrist until I adjust. That corner is far too close and the overall face could stand to be larger or the stick higher up.

I still like the stick for the record.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
There really isn’t enough space on the left hand side of the stick. If you want something with about the same build quality but a much better layout I would recommend the Qanba drone. I’m not sure what systems you plan on using the stick for but if you want switch and ps4/5 support you can mod one with a gp2040-ce pcb that has usb pass through for a mayflash magicboots. https://sgfdevices.com/products/sgf-gp2040-ce-advanced-breakout-board-pe

If you want to use it on a retro console then you can just get a specific brook adaptor for that console (Dreamcast+saturn example: https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/62472958/)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Do people rest their left hand next to the stick? I've never thought to do that

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is anyone here good at Luftrausers and can tell me how to not suck at it? My high score is like 27k!

What's a good ship build?

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

EDIT - Ah crap, they're even 20 bucks less on the 8BitDo shop than through Amazon, so I could get an arcade stick and PS1/2 adapter for less that a hundred bucks. Another 20 if I want to cover the Genesis, too. Any reason I shouldn't impulse buy?

You can use the 8bitdo Arcade Stick on a ps4 (and ps5 possibly?) with adapters. From the cheaper options I'd recommend Mayflash F500. Having used both it's more ergonomic, that hand rest on 8bitdo is the weakest point.

Mayflash also takes the shmups standard lever Seimitsu LS-32 if you plan on modding. The 8bitdo only fits smaller ones such as LS-62 or Sanwa JLF. F500 Elite also comes stock with Sanwa parts if you're not interested in nodding, they are higher quality than the 8bitdo ones (which are better than average, but no real arcade quality)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Oh wow, those Mayflashes are much cheaper than I was expecting. The F300 is probably more my speed, since I'm on the smaller side and I'd mostly be using it at on my desk. The Elite version is only a bit more than the regular price of the 8BitDo, too. I'll watch some review videos tomorrow before I take the plunge.

Thanks for the heads-up on Brook adapters. I'm still growing the modern console/reissue library, so my main focus would be on PS1/2 and Dreamcast - the early era of "Arcade Perfect" and where I've gone kind of crazy with :yarr:for SHMUPs and fighting games. Genesis and SNES might be nice down the line, but since those ports had to be remade from the ground up, I feel like they were more designed with standard controllers in mind.

Will let everyone know what I end up doing!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

After The War posted:

Oh wow, those Mayflashes are much cheaper than I was expecting. The F300 is probably more my speed, since I'm on the smaller side and I'd mostly be using it at on my desk. The Elite version is only a bit more than the regular price of the 8BitDo, too. I'll watch some review videos tomorrow before I take the plunge.

Got the F500 Elite here, it's a heavy baby so it's pretty stable whether on desk or lap. Don't have anything else to compare it to, but well, it does the job of feeling like an arcade controller of old. The Elite thing is superfluous and overpriced for people who can solder, but since I knew I would never bother with it, I didn't mind paying the extra for the pre-upgraded buttons.

Reive
May 21, 2009

How does someone gitgud at r-type? I "beat" r-type 3 today using emulator rewind and it seems undoable without an ungodly amount of practice and the patience of a monk.

I really want to 'get' r-type because I love the design aesthetic and music but poo poo like the portals in the galaxy of abyss is down right cruel.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i think you just have to memorize every little thing.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Reive posted:

How does someone gitgud at r-type? I "beat" r-type 3 today using emulator rewind and it seems undoable without an ungodly amount of practice and the patience of a monk.

I really want to 'get' r-type because I love the design aesthetic and music but poo poo like the portals in the galaxy of abyss is down right cruel.

Memorization, yeah, but R-Type is also about building up power over a few levels. So if you die after like stage 3 in most R-Type games you're probably better off just starting over.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not losing your options in Gradius V was a great quality-of-life modernisation, and it's a shame I never got another of those.

For some reason R-Type has never grabbed me despite many attempts.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I beat R-Type as a kid. (on GameBoy, which is stupidly easy compared to the og and only has 4 stages)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Well, you bastards, I did it... I'm in the arcade stick club. Obsessed over it for a couple days, watched some reviews, and went with the F300 Elite. It was 50 bucks more than the standard version, but the Sanwa parts on their own are going for 45 as a set... so I basically just paid five bucks for labor. And judging from my "easy fix" soldering pile collecting dust, this is the only way I would have ended up with an upgraded unit. Also the Brook PS2 adapter, which has made for a pretty neat combination.

Been fun so far, even if it takes a little getting used to. Arcade stuff isn't necessarily easier with the stick, but it does feel more "right." Only issue I've had so far (aside from being excited to try it with pinball games only to find out they all use the right stick to control the plunger) is with the PS1 version of DoDonPachi refusing to work with it 75% of the time. No idea what's going on there, it still works fine with a regular controller. But I've got MAME if I really feel the need. Otherwise, it's just a matter of trying it out with all the stuff in the library, and I'll probably look at another Brook for the Dreamcast next. In short:

Buck Turgidson posted:

My only regret about getting an arcade stick is that I didn't do it sooner

Thanks for leading me the right way, everybody! This is a much better result than if I'd just gone with the 8BitDo like I originally considered, and for only a bit more dough.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm playing a couple of these in mame and am I out of my mind or is 19xx way way harder than dodonpachi? I can barely beat stage 2 without continues, whereas I can do stages 1 and 2 of dodonpachi without continues fairly consistently after a bit of practice

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Slow ship with a big hitbox will always get ya faster than a DDP stage 1. 1944 Loop Master is especially bad in that regard

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, there's a common misconception there. Bullet hell games look visually impressive with the domineering weight of fire they put onscreen, but they aren't necessarily any harder than "dad shmups". And it's a different style of game, so it'll take a little while to get used to it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Are there any shmups on GeForce now?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
WARNING! A RIDICULOUS SALE IS APPROACHING!

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/18992/The_Seventia_Collection/

Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles are currently on sale together for less than 2 EUR/USD. An absolute steal. Very good SHMUPs by the devs of Eschatos.

Ginga Force is a vertical scroller, Natsuki Chronicles is hori.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
PS Store as well to 3/14, looks like.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Excellent soundtracks from Yosuke Yasui too. Ridiculously good value.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Never played Ginga force, but Natsuki Chronicles on Xbox One is pretty good fun.

I've got the M2 Aleste collection coming at long last and I'm unreasonably excited about playing some Game Gear games.

Still playing DDP Dai out jou beyond that, the extra modes are great particularly the calendar one that you play little chunks of levels

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Das Butterbrot posted:

WARNING! A RIDICULOUS SALE IS APPROACHING!

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/18992/The_Seventia_Collection/

Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles are currently on sale together for less than 2 EUR/USD. An absolute steal. Very good SHMUPs by the devs of Eschatos.

Ginga Force is a vertical scroller, Natsuki Chronicles is hori.
The publisher has a few other games on absurdly deep discount at the moment (the most relevant being a 2016 doujin remake of Assault Suit Leynos), and there's apparently some concerning signs surrounding them (no releases since 2020, parent company is undergoing a restructuring), so, uh, if you want this stuff, get in now, because it might be getting delisted (at least temporarily - that Leynos remake's dev is long disbanded so that's probably screwed, but the ESCHATOS devs are still kickin' on).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A new Shooters FES event has been announced for this year by Mikado, happening on April 6-7. Highlights from the currently-incomplete schedule include a new game announcement by City Connection, a panel on Happymeal's Final Exerion that mentions a "Final Series" (so there'll probably be an announcement there) and, surprisingly, the Swedish team that did those flawed Steam ports of Toaplan games, alongside all the usual suspects.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I picked up Crimzon Clover World Explosion and Gunvein in some of the recent sales. These games kick rear end.

I don't know how the hell I'm going to beat that last boss in Crimzon Clover without dying. The bouncy ball phase just wrecks me lol

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Buck Turgidson posted:

I picked up Crimzon Clover World Explosion and Gunvein in some of the recent sales. These games kick rear end.

I don't know how the hell I'm going to beat that last boss in Crimzon Clover without dying. The bouncy ball phase just wrecks me lol
Max your score on previous stages with hyper and bank lives. The only terrible pattern is the watermelon seeds

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
inbachi has finally been killed in a full run of saidaioujou

https://twitter.com/ifc_srh/status/1770781589481406506

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCRI69pQpY0

sounds like this persons next goal is to do it on pcb lol

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

inbachi has finally been killed in a full run of saidaioujou

https://twitter.com/ifc_srh/status/1770781589481406506

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCRI69pQpY0

sounds like this persons next goal is to do it on pcb lol

i was just about to post this. what an insane achievement. only took 12 years lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Caved in and picked up Angel at Dusk this Steam sale and :stare:.

I was digging the Giger style visuals on screenshots, but live, with the music, the ships and the rest of the weird presentation, that thing is incredible.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
What’s a good bang-for-your-buck cheap but high quality Steam SHMUP a brokeass mofo like myself can get without breaking the bank?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Just a few cheap but good Steam shmups from cheapest to least cheap:

- Gana Blade - old school style, down to the broken translation
- Hazelnut Hex - pastel horizontal shmup that's not super tough but it's charming
- Angel at Dusk - great tutorials, interesting progression mechanic, :gonk: visuals
- Crimzon Clover - Very solid bullet hell
- Mushihimesama - More very solid bullet hell

Capcom Arcade Stadium also gives you access to a lot of good picks like Progear and Giga Wing for practically pennies.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
ZeroRanger is great and only $12 at full price

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I already have ZeroRanger and it’s 10/10 awesome

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Crimzon Clover is the GOAT imo

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
That's unfortunate timing, Crimzon Clover was on sale for a tenner in the spring sale which ended 3 days ago.

Of course, if you don't mind :filez: and MAME, there are a lot of great arcade ones. Too many to make an exhaustive list, but I'm very partial to Batsugun (Special Version) personally.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I’ve played Crimson Clover and that Mush-something bug one but I kinda prefer more old school style shmups. My favourite ones are the 16 bit/32 bit ones like Super Aleste, Axelay or the Gradius games or uhh PS1 games like Einhander or Darius Gaiden. I duno guess I’ve just never into bullet hell. That Angel at Dusk game looks awesome tho

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I’ve played Crimson Clover and that Mush-something bug one but I kinda prefer more old school style shmups. My favourite ones are the 16 bit/32 bit ones like Super Aleste, Axelay or the Gradius games or uhh PS1 games like Einhander or Darius Gaiden. I duno guess I’ve just never into bullet hell. That Angel at Dusk game looks awesome tho

You may enjoy Moon Dancer and other Terarin titles

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the art isn't the best, but I love Operation S.T.E.E.L.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I played RagingBlasters from Terarin. Fun little schmup, nice music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Hydorah is a wonderful little love letter to Gradius that costs zero earth dollars. Super Hydorah is a expanded and polished commercial version that goes on sale a couple of times a year (It's currently half-price at the Epic Games Store, should you use that).