Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I know little about it, but there's a new shmup on Xbox Live indie games called Aeternum that my friend did the soundtrack for.

I like these games but the difficulty is always a barrier. Jamestown was fun, especially since it's multiplayer. Lords of Thunder has a ridiculous soundtrack, but it kicks my rear end. Any games in the genre I could try to warm up with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I don't know whether or not it's still considered to be good but Crimzon Clover is a game that I like a lot. It's a very-polished Japanese indie game that came out about two years ago and people were pretty excited about it at the time. I don't really have the ability to describe it in terms of how it compares to other shoot-em-ups so here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV70bhThiuo. There's a demo here.

There's no English translation that I know of but you don't really need one. Here's the manual in English if you want: http://www.voidaudio.net/manual/manual_e.htm

It might be in a few other import shops, but I bought it from this cool guy. I've gotten a lot of shooters from him and it's always gone quite well, and he's been quick to respond to any questions I've e-mailed him. I can't actually vouch for him of course, but I've had good experiences ordering from him.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I know little about it, but there's a new shmup on Xbox Live indie games called Aeternum that my friend did the soundtrack for.

I like these games but the difficulty is always a barrier. Jamestown was fun, especially since it's multiplayer. Lords of Thunder has a ridiculous soundtrack, but it kicks my rear end. Any games in the genre I could try to warm up with?

Hrm. I might actually start with the original DonPachi. It's what got me hooked onto the genre. It's simpler than a lot of the other Cave shooters and is a pretty good introduction to bullet hell (danmaku) shooters. Any of the Touhou games might be good (Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil is the first Windows one, and isn't a bad choice to start with).

Danmaku shmups initially look pretty intimidating, with all of the ridiculous amounts of bullets flying around. It's when you realize that your hitbox can be as small as a pixel big that they start to become more manageable.

I'm not quite the person to ask for the more methodical shooters.

If you decide to explore a bit more, the OP links Cho Ren Sha 68K and Warning Forever, which are both really good freeware shmups.

futurememory fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 5, 2012

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
I bought this Sine Mora game off steam for 3 dollars yesterday and it has given me a few hours of fun so far.
Probably a decent game for someone looking to get into the genre and so far seems very polished for a steam released shmup.

edit: I should also mention that its a horizontal scroller.

bongsnake fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 5, 2012

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

bongsnake posted:

I bought this Sine Mora game off steam for 3 dollars yesterday and it has given me a few hours of fun so far.
Probably a decent game for someone looking to get into the genre and so far seems very polished for a steam released shmup.

edit: I should also mention that its a horizontal scroller.

I would have brought this up in this thread if it weren't for the longish discussion on it in the Steam thread. This is likely the closest we're ever going to get to a AAA shmup from anyone, and I'd probably recommend it to anyone interested in the genre as well. It feels like its both a methodical shmup and a bullet hell game, with a larger emphasis on huge, multi-phase boss fights. It's also one of the rare shmups I've played that actually has a story, although your mileage may vary as to how much you'll like it.

I finally got the true ending in it tonight and started on Hard mode, and I'd say it's definitely worth $3.50 or whatever it's going for right now. There's also a version on XBox Live, but that's still probably going for $15.

It's been ages since I've played Darius, but I'd probably compare it to that mixed with DodonPachi. If it helps push anyone over the edge to get it, both Suda 51 and Akira Yamaoka worked on this game with Digital Reality.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Conversely, I could not have been more disappointed by Sine Mora. Not only is it nothing like any of the games that the devs kept namedropping but it also commits a ton of really basic, fundamental errors like using projectiles that are difficult to track and shaking/tilting the camera for no reason, but even beyond all of that it's just boring - popcorn patterns are boring, visuals are boring, bosses are boring and whatever pacing it might have had is completely ruined by constant stretches of non-interactivity. Even the music sucks, somehow. Bad hori, bad danmaku, bad everything.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Conversely, I could not have been more disappointed by Sine Mora. Not only is it nothing like any of the games that the devs kept namedropping but it also commits a ton of really basic, fundamental errors like using projectiles that are difficult to track and shaking/tilting the camera for no reason, but even beyond all of that it's just boring - popcorn patterns are boring, visuals are boring, bosses are boring and whatever pacing it might have had is completely ruined by constant stretches of non-interactivity. Even the music sucks, somehow. Bad hori, bad danmaku, bad everything.

Different strokes, I guess? The first thing I did when I got the game was turn off screen shake, which I probably should have mentioned earlier. I also thought Yamaoka's music blended really well with the overall tone of the game. What projectiles specifically did you find hard to track?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Neat, you can tell him I really liked the soundtrack.

There's a bunch of pretty good stuff on XBLIG. Revolver 360 is, IMO, objectively the best, mostly because it's got some innovation to it. There's a PC version in the works which will probably be worth waiting for.

Snops Attack! is o.k., looks -really- nice and is pleasantly easy.

Shoot 1up is by Mommy's best, also fun as hell, looks and plays with much uniqueness.

Prismatic Solid is a sort of solid, old school take, kinda reminiscent of Viewpoint, only good.

Vorpal isn't a bad boss bullet pattern trainer.

Vampire Rage is -decent-, looks like poo poo, but has a pretty good bullet cancel system.

Leave Home is pretty interesting, maybe not the best game, but a definite experience in how to cram a narrative into a scrolling shooter with abstract art.

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure, sorta stretching the pure SHMUP experience, but get it anyway.

There's a lot more which is kind of mediocre to terrible. Somewhere on the bubble are the various Lethal Judgement games and Packito Lost in Space which, at least, has the decency to not take itself seriously.

For other platforms, I really liked Sine Mora, but I have weird tastes. If you play it with a controller that has rapid fire, it goes from being a poorly designed piece of poo poo to instantly being a pretty good game with its share of bullshit moments. Weird to see the entire first page showing so much love for euroshumps, I love Tyrian and Raptor and Jets 'n' Guns, but that's a sub genre that is usually considered anathema.

It is also impossible to express in words how good Crimson Clover is.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I liked Sine Mora. The cutscenes were a bore but there's the fast forward button. Bosses were fine. Music too. Still did not get the golden ending, not sure what one has to do to get one.

Jamestown is one of the best schmups I ever played. The music kills, simply put, and the design is really unique.

Back in my Amiga days there were a number of schmups to choose from. Never bothered with R-Type (not sure why) but I played a ton of SWIV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woseXTQw3Qw

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How many people have played through iOS shootemups (don't laugh CAVE puts out loads of stuff there)

I've played Dodonpachi Blissful Death and Dodonpachi Resurrection and liked them both a lot. The problem is I liked them enough to never want to buy another phone-SHMUP because 2 is enough. I tried a couple of the iOS only ones like Phoenix HD and Danmaku Unlimited but the difference between those and an actual Cave game is just too much.

Apparently they released a Dodonpachi JUST for phones that isn't a port of anything, anyone try that?

I've taken a look at other Cave stuff like ESPGALUDA2 and such, it seems alright but I keep thinking "Just stick to Dodonpachi". Also doesn't help that they release like 5 versions of every game.

Edit: To all the people who say "I hate SHMUPS but I liked Jamestown": You like SHMUPS

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 5, 2012

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
There's an ongoing series of articles on iOS schmups here:
http://hardcoregaming101.net/iosshooters/iosINDEX.htm

Reive
May 21, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't know whether or not it's still considered to be good but Crimzon Clover
Considered to be good? You mean one of the only worthwhile vert-shmups in the last like 5 years?
Shame on the OP, this need to be up there!

Also a translation for Hellsinker came out.. this year? last year? I don't know!
The game is very mechanics heavy so even with the translation you're going to need a good manual, so much so there's a dedicated wiki:
http://wiki.hellsinker.net/wiki/Main_Page

Here's some gameplay clips I recorded a long time ago for both games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6NZmDTpNhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCBHstcpu8M

Reive fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 5, 2012

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Philip Rivers posted:

I dunno if twin stick shooters really jibe with the whole shmup scene or count as their own thing, but Bangai-O (DC, XBLA) and its sequel Bangai-O Spirits (NDS) are a ton of fun.

Sadly, Bangai-O (N64, Dreamcast) and Bangai-O: Missile Fury (XBLA) are two totally different games. The later isn't bad, but it plays more like a puzzle game than a shooter to me (like Spirits) and it lacks all the crazy boss dialog and charm.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw this thread and had it pop into my head, I remember an old game, was either mega drive or NES, side scrolling shooter and the only detail I can remember is your character had angel wings? My dad must have borrowed it from a friend of his going back some 20 odd years now? Anyone have any idea what game it is. A quick google search doesn't help me.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
You can't really make a thread like this without talking about the soundtrack to Tyrian 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYrDf4HH1ws

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Ramagamma posted:

Just saw this thread and had it pop into my head, I remember an old game, was either mega drive or NES, side scrolling shooter and the only detail I can remember is your character had angel wings? My dad must have borrowed it from a friend of his going back some 20 odd years now? Anyone have any idea what game it is. A quick google search doesn't help me.

There's a thread for that:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

It was Phelios or Legendary Wings.

edit: Didn't catch the horizontal, it was Gynoug.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 5, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

There's an ongoing series of articles on iOS schmups here:
http://hardcoregaming101.net/iosshooters/iosINDEX.htm

Neat, thanks.

waddler
Jan 3, 2008

Dodonpachi Maximum (iOS) cribs stages from previous games so it's not entirely new. Both shot and laser fire simultaneously for minimum chaining fuss; in its place is a proximity mechanic where large point items spawn (and add to the chain score) when destroying enemies up close. Five stages, plus a special stage for 5-Easy, plus a DOOM fight?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P5Qwb8A-S4

Demo movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMVy2-X-kHc

Mushihimesama Bug Princess (iOS) also works well in my opinion, due to not using an alt-fire laser like every Cave game ever. Point and shoot, no switching or other crap needed. (Proper Maniac scoring might be impossible, though.)

Demo movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYYTCSHK-_k

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I really enjoyed Sine Mora but it didn't have much to do with the actual shmup aspect of it, which as you mentioned could use a bit of work. The fact that the bullets are difficult to see led to deaths that felt unfair more than a few times, and it's hard to improve at the game when that kind of thing happens. I liked the story and art so I'd still recommend it, but solely as a shmup it's average at best.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
The game I remember playing as a kid on MS-DOS was OverKill. I seem to remember it being buggy as hell but it was just the coolest thing around; my house was a Mac house and so I'd have to go over to my friend's and we'd play it until we ragequit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5gwPzefurs

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hydorah is the best shmup I've ever played. It's by Spanish indie game dev Locomalito, and it's free to download. It's a blend between the space robot shooter and the space organic alien shooter.

He also made They came from Verminest!, which is a lot like Galaga but has a cool aesthetic to it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I picked up R-Type Final a few weeks back and am really just kind of overwhelmed by the number of ships you can have. It's too bad that there's pretty much no way I'm playing through it 101 or more times, I just don't have that kind of free time anymore. :sigh:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Reminds me, Stargunner is free and pretty good.

http://www.3drealms.com/stargunner/

Consider it an apologee for DN4E

Running it in DOSBOX requires tweaking the cycles setting via command line. Not too hard, but does take a little trial and error.

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

Not a Children posted:

I picked up R-Type Final a few weeks back and am really just kind of overwhelmed by the number of ships you can have. It's too bad that there's pretty much no way I'm playing through it 101 or more times, I just don't have that kind of free time anymore. :sigh:

Most of the ships kind of suck and aren't very enjoyable to fly anyway, honestly. You eventually unlock customizable ships that you can fit with your own selection of weapons and options, which is where the real fun is...but that's near the end of the unlock tree. Maybe download a save so you can try it out?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Reive posted:

Also a translation for Hellsinker came out.. this year? last year? I don't know!
The game is very mechanics heavy so even with the translation you're going to need a good manual, so much so there's a dedicated wiki:
http://wiki.hellsinker.net/wiki/Main_Page

I can't recommend Hellsinker enough. I'm a little biased, since it's one of my favourite games, but once you get used to the mechanics, it's great fun. Well, except the Segment 2 Behind boss.

Also throwing out a shout for Blue Wish Resurrection Plus and Eden's Aegis, two freeware shmups that are heavily inspired by Cave.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 5, 2012

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
Can't have a shmup thread without posting some Kenta Cho games. rRootage is the closest to a pure shmup and has 4 different modes of play - one of them is a standard "shoot, use bombs" mode, and the others emulate Giga Wing, Ikaruga, and Psyvariar. Torus Trooper is like one of the "tube shooters" mentioned earlier. Tumiki Fighters is a sidescrolling shooter where you can glue destroyed enemies onto you, at which point they start firing with their bullet patterns. It also got ported to the Wii as Blast Works with a really robust content editor, so if you like Tumiki Fighters, see if you can track down Blast Works.

You also can't have a shmup thread without some PRO REVIEWS

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hudson (Soft) also made lots of shmups that people enjoy, such as this classic:

(I poo poo you not that the captcha for one of these images was "see red")

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I know it's Babby's First Shmup compared to the bullet hells of today, but I will always have a special place in my heart for the original arcade Darius. One day I walked into my favorite beach arcade and there was this BEHEMOTH.

Twice as big as anything else in the place. The boss ships were bigger than an entire Galaga formation. Great Zuntata background music. FIVE different end bosses on an Outrun-style grid that made you think about what you'd eventually want to face. I fell in love and I played the living poo poo out of that machine, and soon learned the best part of a shmup: the crowd that gathers when someone really good at one is kicking rear end.

Something like Great Thing would pop up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2PMdIpHdE&t=1560s

and I'd hear ooohs from behind me and someone would say "But he's still only using basic MISSILES!*" and I'd beat it anyway and turn around and see jaws on the floor.

(* Original Darius had a cool weapons upgrade system but it was a TRAP in one significant way. You went from basic horizontal missiles to a triple-wide missile barrage by collecting orbs and then the next powerup upgraded your weapon CLASS to lasers... but at the lowest level. If you collected enough weapon orbs the next class was Wave, which was a great passes-through-walls wide beam, but the trick was surviving that long because the fourth boss (Fatty Glutton) was an absolute bastard to beat with lasers, and if you died you lost all your powerups and went down to base level of whatever weapon / shield / bomb class you were at. So I'd just stick with the triple peashooter and avoid further red orbs like the plague and even though that was actually easier, it added to the 'how is he DOING that' aura.)

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

While definitely a hybrid, I loved Guardian Legend. The boss fights were handled in a vertical schmup mini-game, while the rest was more original Zelda style. Yeah, gonna have to look into getting an emulator setup now.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

AndyAML posted:

Can't have a shmup thread without posting some Kenta Cho games. rRootage is the closest to a pure shmup and has 4 different modes of play - one of them is a standard "shoot, use bombs" mode, and the others emulate Giga Wing, Ikaruga, and Psyvariar. Torus Trooper is like one of the "tube shooters" mentioned earlier. Tumiki Fighters is a sidescrolling shooter where you can glue destroyed enemies onto you, at which point they start firing with their bullet patterns. It also got ported to the Wii as Blast Works with a really robust content editor, so if you like Tumiki Fighters, see if you can track down Blast Works.

rRootage is a classic, although the visuals are pretty lame. The difficulty scales up way fast and more you can skip the early levels if you want to go right for the challenging bits.

Warning Forever is probably the most famous procedurally generated freeware game. It features a a progression of boss fights in which the AI learns from your attack behavior and which weapons you die to most, and evolves its boss vehicles to destroy you more effectively.

I'm not including a link for that one because the original dev site disappeared a few years ago, so the only download links available come from shady file rehosting sites. Does anybody have a confirmed safe rehost?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I posted a link to Warning Forever in the OP, it links to TIGSource which is a database of indie games and not really a shady place as far as I can tell.

Apparently the crazy Famicom shmup Recca is coming to the Wii and 3DS Virtual Console in Japan. I hope it can make it to the US too, but with the way the VC is so little updated...

Anyway, Recca is really fun, it's got some insane sprite count at times and the backgrounds go wild too. I love the second stage where the background suddenly scrolls backwards VERY fast.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 5, 2012

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zeether posted:

I posted a link to Warning Forever in the OP, it links to TIGSource which is a database of indie games and not really a shady place as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I checked TigDB already. You have to check the download links from that site before you post them because they don't actually host locally!! The TigDB page for Warning Forever links to a defunct website, as do a lot of their other older entries.

Anyway, on the topic of shmup games, there's La Soeur De Barrage. It's seriously anime and completely untranslated, but it has some of the best patterns I've seen. The later boss fights are completely insane.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't know whether or not it's still considered to be good but Crimzon Clover is a game that I like a lot. It's a very-polished Japanese indie game that came out about two years ago and people were pretty excited about it at the time. I don't really have the ability to describe it in terms of how it compares to other shoot-em-ups so here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV70bhThiuo. There's a demo here.

Everyone who hasn't played Crimzon Clover yet and claims to love video games OWES it to themselves to correct that mistake.

Maybe I'm not great at shmups, but I did find it to require quite a commitment. I started with simple mode, and logged maybe 30 hours before I could 1cc. Then it took maybe another 20 hours to 1cc original mode with the type-Z ship. Since then, I've logged several HUNDRED more hours, and STILL haven't quite managed a 1cc with the type-1 yet (I've gotten the second TLB down to a sliver a few times too!).

Part of the problem I think is that I'm addicted to the scoring system, so I keep taking stupid risks and suffering misses for it. I've managed 6500oku in original with the type-Z, and 3500oku with the type-1.

One of these days, I'm sure I'll be able to seal the deal. Probably need to just hunker down with unlimited mode so that original seems relatively tame. I've been able to 1cc up to maybe halfway through stage-4 of unlimited at my best.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AndyAML posted:

Everyone single one of these is a PRO click. Wish he'd do more :sigh:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Regarding Crimzon Clover, apparently some company picked it up for worldwide distribution. A rep from Nyu Media posted about it on Steam a while back but nothing's happened as of yet. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28283906&postcount=58

Also, another doujin worth checking out is Diadra Empty. It's like Defender/Fantasy Zone with a small girl riding a dragon and BIG bosses. The sense of scale is absolutely insane, and the music is beautiful too. There's also a cool "turbo" move that you use to dash past bullets with impunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_scNTNVkKXA

Zeether fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 5, 2012

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Zeether posted:

Also, another doujin worth checking out is Diadra Empty. It's like Defender/Fantasy Zone with a small girl riding a dragon and BIG bosses. The sense of scale is absolutely insane, and the music is beautiful too. There's also a cool "turbo" move that you use to dash past bullets with impunity.

Isn't Pedobear a random item in that game?

Also, the Warning Forever dev site seems to be back up

http://translate.google.com/transla...ved=0CDMQ7gEwAA

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Sizone posted:

Isn't Pedobear a random item in that game?
Yes, that's the one thing that detracts from it. :negative:

It's some hidden thing and I have no clue how it's triggered.

The Warning Forever guy also made a circular shmup of sorts called Cyclone or something like that. You control a laser cannon that rotates in a circle and you have to chain enemies in a single beam shot, but your cannon can take damage easily when the laser is out so you have to watch out. The laser handily cancels bullets though and when you stop firing you get a shield.

e: It's called Cyclops. Rayhound is fun too, check that one out.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 6, 2012

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
There any interest in doing a goon shooter tourny?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Sizone posted:

There any interest in doing a goon shooter tourny?

As long as we're playing Recca, sure :unsmigghh:

Admittedly, I haven't finished even normal mode myself, but it's always great to get people's reactions to that game. I think it technically falls under abandonware as well, since Taxan no longer makes games and guys in the US make repro carts for the NES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Zeether posted:

This looks loving amazing, it's a shame that it costs literally ~30 USD plus international shipping. If you really want to try and purchase this however, you need a valid paypal with a real address (and that address also needs to be in a country that japan will actually ship to). Add it to your cart from this page :siren:and then also click on the shipping surcharge button on the english section of this page:siren:

I hope none of this is necessary and somebody comes along to post a digital retail link instead.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 6, 2012