Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000
Dear god, every please stop saying shmups

It's not okay that it became a thing. stop. STOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
I didn't see Death Smiles, which I'm kinda shocked over. The iOS version isn't bad at all. I just picked up Danmaku for iOS on the advice of a friend, it looks nice, yet to try it out though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zeether posted:

Also, another doujin worth checking out is Diadra Empty. It's like Defender/Fantasy Zone with a small girl riding a dragon and BIG bosses. The sense of scale is absolutely insane, and the music is beautiful too. There's also a cool "turbo" move that you use to dash past bullets with impunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_scNTNVkKXA

It's a very cool game. It looks ridiculously hardcore, but you spend about 90% of your time either far away from bullets or dashing harmlessly through them. It can get tough later on, but it's mostly fireworks and spectacle, and that's just fine, because it really uses a high-res screenspace well.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

fivegears4reverse posted:

I'd also like an HD remake of Einhander, and a blue Bugatti while I'm at it. :sigh:

Oh man, Einhander :allears:

You guys really need to play this game, such a beautiful (for PS1) game with an amazing soundtrack. Neat little story with a twist at the end, lots of mecha and German, and made by Squaresoft oddly enough. Your best best is emulating it unless you want to pay a bit much. I had a hell of a time finding it in '99-'00 or so until my mom got it on eBay. How does a 10 year old become so attached to an obscure game like this that they only played on a demo disc anyways? :psyduck:

Anyway, have some boss music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyITEQDiJq4

And a wallpaper because why not:

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Sizone posted:

There any interest in doing a goon shooter tourny?

I like the idea...but how would it work?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's a game on Steam Greenlight called Heaven Variant that looks like some kind of cross between Einhander and Thunder Force. The devs have apparently been rehauling the gameplay or something but the game looks pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18u_7sYVxA

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sizone posted:

There any interest in doing a goon shooter tourny?

This could be cool, just gotta make sure that the game(s) we play is widely available.

BillyBlanks posted:

Dear god, every please stop saying shmups

It's not okay that it became a thing. stop. STOP.

Sorry dude its been a thing for quite awhile. No going back now :getin:

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
I'm down for a tourney/contest. Gonna play the heck out of some shmups.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Deathsmiles is a pretty terrible shmup.

Best shmup of all time was Menace for the C64

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh man, Einhander :allears:

You guys really need to play this game, such a beautiful (for PS1) game with an amazing soundtrack. Neat little story with a twist at the end, lots of mecha and German, and made by Squaresoft oddly enough. Your best best is emulating it unless you want to pay a bit much. I had a hell of a time finding it in '99-'00 or so until my mom got it on eBay. How does a 10 year old become so attached to an obscure game like this that they only played on a demo disc anyways? :psyduck:

Anyway, have some boss music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyITEQDiJq4

And a wallpaper because why not:

Einhander owns. You can actually get it on the Japanese PSN as well which is pretty sweet. I had an account that had Einhander on it but I lost the password for it... I should make another one.

EDIT: I just learned that DoDonPachi and DonPachi are also on the Japanese PSN. poo poo. I should get another Japanese PSN card.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 6, 2012

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Namtab posted:

It had coop (online, even), that redeems it a thousand times for me over the majority of extraordinarily bland shmups.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zeether posted:

There's a game on Steam Greenlight called Heaven Variant that looks like some kind of cross between Einhander and Thunder Force. The devs have apparently been rehauling the gameplay or something but the game looks pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18u_7sYVxA

I'm really looking forward to this. The music is also something that really catches my attention. It's loud, full of energy and catchy. Why did videogame music ever stop sounding like that?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I just got Sine Mora and it immediately sucked me in for the better part of an hour; which normally doesn't happen. It's polished as hell and it didn't even make me install another copy of DirectX. Also: made by Grasshopper Manufacture

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
So I'm trying to get my friend into Parodius, but I don't know which game would be best to start with. What do you guys recommend?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dogbutt posted:

So I'm trying to get my friend into Parodius, but I don't know which game would be best to start with. What do you guys recommend?
The first Parodius is kind of long and the second stage might pose a challenge because of the giant showgirl section which parodies the Shadow Walker from Gradius II. I'd say go with the 2nd or 3rd games. Just make sure in the 3rd game to find the option that turns off the annoying announcer, I think it's the "Oshaberi" one.

Also, get the PS1/Saturn versions because they add a few new things.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Argh no not shmups they make me hate myself :smith:

I've 1cc'ed a few (several Touhous on Lunatic, Crimzon Clover, one or two others), gotten close on a few more (Don/DoDonpachi etc.), and generally raged long and loud. Shmups do terrible things to me. Gonna throw out that Crimzon Clover is indeed one of the better entries in the genre and worth checking out for anyone who hasn't.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

If you want an easy shmup to clear, Gun Nac is not that bad. It tosses bombs at you a lot and I was able to beat it pretty easily. Turning on the "ricochet" mode makes it one hell of a challenge though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My proudest gaming achievement is probably 1cc'ing Ikaruga on Normal.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I remember when I once bragged to a friend of mine that I could beat Gradius 3 without dying. He then demanded to know what version of the game I'd played, and started laughing hysterically when I told him that it was the SNES version. Then he made me play it on the Gradius 3 + 4 collection on the PS2, and I got my rear end kicked harder than just about any other shmup I've ever played. Seriously gently caress that game :argh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
My secret shmup shame is that I don't like the Gradius games and think they're boring.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

DolphinCop posted:

Anyway, on the topic of shmup games, there's La Soeur De Barrage. It's seriously anime and completely untranslated, but it has some of the best patterns I've seen. The later boss fights are completely insane.

Everyone play this, it's unique as hell. Once you get used to the controls, it's really fun (it's completely mouse-driven!!!).

voltron lion force posted:

My secret shmup shame is that I don't like the Gradius games and think they're boring.

you're a monster

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

redmercer posted:

Also: made by Grasshopper Manufacture

Wait what

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sine Mora's visuals were done by Grasshopper, and the music is by Akira Yamaoka, but the game itself was made by a Hungarian studio called Digital Reality. It's not a good game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not a good game.

You're right. It's a great one - one of the best-reviewed shmups in years. Although it really seems to upset some genre grognards, for some reason.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Namtab posted:

I disagree, I love it. Then again I'm a bit biased when it comes to cave shooters and a bit of a PCB collector. I also liked akai katana.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Dominic White posted:

You're right. It's a great one - one of the best-reviewed shmups in years. Although it really seems to upset some genre grognards, for some reason.

Stories don't belong in shmups, especially when you can't even skip the story bits, you have to fast forward

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dominic White posted:

I liked it, but really who cares about shmup reviews? Gaming journalists are notoriously even less informed than usual when it comes to niche genres like these. Reason it pisses off grogs is probably because it hosed some basic poo poo up, like making sure its always clear what is or is not a projectile. Plus the timed system kinda sucks.

e: exception being xoxak's pro reviews which are objectively accurate.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 7, 2012

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SM64Guy posted:

Stories don't belong in shmups, especially when you can't even skip the story bits, you have to fast forward

Stories are fine in shmups so long as they aren't intrusive or they don't spoil the flow of things. This is why I still hold Einhander in such high-regard: the game's story unfolds through the action, and you're constantly moving through more and more layers of enemy defenses in a way that feels relatively natural.

It also worked in Gradius V specifically because it was simple and to the point (and the voice acting was amusing for the moment the two Vic Vipers meet up): you help yourself win.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hardcore shmup fans don't like it because the devs appealed to them directly and promised a game that is completely different to the one they delivered, and because the game they did deliver isn't fun and doesn't reflect any of the feedback they received during the pre-release period.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

fivegears4reverse posted:

Stories are fine in shmups so long as they aren't intrusive or they don't spoil the flow of things. This is why I still hold Einhander in such high-regard: the game's story unfolds through the action, and you're constantly moving through more and more layers of enemy defenses in a way that feels relatively natural.

It also worked in Gradius V specifically because it was simple and to the point (and the voice acting was amusing for the moment the two Vic Vipers meet up): you help yourself win.

I haven't really played many shmups with actual stories to them, I know Giga Wing was getting on my nerves with the cutscenes though like the stage 1 boss bombing a city when I just wanted to get on with it

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
For any of you folks who have a copy of DooM 2 lying around, here's something nifty:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32541&sid=f2c0552fba64f9229ff8b064da1f8038

More on-note, sometimes I wish I had gone with Playstation instead of Nintendo as a kid so that I coulda played R-Type Delta and Final. :( Ah well, Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth was okay too.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

I liked it, but really who cares about shmup reviews? Gaming journalists are notoriously even less informed than usual when it comes to niche genres like these. Reason it pisses off grogs is probably because it hosed some basic poo poo up, like making sure its always clear what is or is not a projectile. Plus the timed system kinda sucks.

e: exception being xoxak's pro reviews which are objectively accurate.

I still don't get this point. At all. I've cleared story mode four times, and I have no idea what this could possibly be referring to. Is it that enemies will sometimes come in from the background? That tripped me up the first time I played the game, but I got used to it really fast. I thought that bullets and missiles stood out pretty well :confused:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bovineicide posted:

I still don't get this point. At all. I've cleared story mode four times, and I have no idea what this could possibly be referring to. Is it that enemies will sometimes come in from the background? That tripped me up the first time I played the game, but I got used to it really fast. I thought that bullets and missiles stood out pretty well :confused:

Some examples I can remember are that there are some really thin and tiny missiles that constantly blend in with the background and those loving cave worms in one of the earlier stages. The worms especially, they're projectiles are green, and when they die that explode into green gibs also a green particle effect. The gibs don't hurt you, but the particle effect does. Also poo poo like flamethrowers.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Some examples I can remember are that there are some really thin and tiny missiles that constantly blend in with the background and those loving cave worms in one of the earlier stages. The worms especially, they're projectiles are green, and when they die that explode into green gibs also a green particle effect. The gibs don't hurt you, but the particle effect does. Also poo poo like flamethrowers.

Maybe I'm weird, but I caught onto the hitboxes for the worms and flamethrowers right away. The one main gripe I have with the game is with the third ship, because the hitbox for it is in the middle, where the other two have it sitting more towards the front. That's ruining my poo poo in arcade mode every time I pick it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

For any of you folks who have a copy of DooM 2 lying around, here's something nifty:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32541&sid=f2c0552fba64f9229ff8b064da1f8038
This is pretty cool. It does have "Euroshmup" elements (lifebar, inertia) but it's neat that someone pulled this off in Doom.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Justus posted:

I like the idea...but how would it work?

In general, agree on a game, set up a time window for everyone to practice, set up a smaller time window for everyone to post their scores, determine winner by comparing scores.

More specifically, I was thinking

Pick a game that is easily accessible, something everyone can find and get running. For simplicity and time constraints, a game that has a caravan mode (time limited score attack, usually 2 or 5 minutes and fixed settings (lives, bombs, ect.)) or a doujin game which is nothing but a caravan mode would probably be preferable, but really anything would work.
Recca has already been mentioned, if you can get a NES emulator working then you can play it. Personally, I think it's a neat NES tech demo, but not that great of a game.
The TG16 is well emulated and has a ton of caravan mode shmups and shmups that were played in the Summer Carnivals from which this idea is ripped off. I like Compile so I'd probably lean towards Spriggan, I also like Star Soldier games so I'd also consider Soldier Blade to be a good choice.

Once the game has been chosen, set up a schedule. Since we're mostly not crazy people with TATE setups, superguns and PCBs, I'm thinking 2 weeks would be a good amount of practice time. Not enough time, by any stretch of the imagination, to master a game, but long enough to get the hang of it, especially in a 2 or 5 minute mode and demonstrate that you're not completely rubbish. After the practice period, maybe a week for everyone to post their scores.

Score posting can be done either via screenshot or simply by posting your score. There is gently caress all to gain from cheating, so the honor system will be fine.

If there's a desire to add more depth to the competition, then we could repeat the process for a handful of games. Something like how a season in autoracing is judged, with 1st place being worth so many points, 2nd being worth so many and so on. Those points being aggregated over all the games played.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Zeether posted:

Also, another doujin worth checking out is Diadra Empty. It's like Defender/Fantasy Zone with a small girl riding a dragon and BIG bosses. The sense of scale is absolutely insane, and the music is beautiful too. There's also a cool "turbo" move that you use to dash past bullets with impunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_scNTNVkKXA

What the hell did I just watch? I can't understand how the shooting/bullet mechanics work in this crazy crackfest at all. I get it's 30 bucks and all, but I've never seen anything really like it. It's the whole arena shmup/geometry wars spawning stuff turned up to 11.

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?

OxMan posted:

What the hell did I just watch? I can't understand how the shooting/bullet mechanics work in this crazy crackfest at all. I get it's 30 bucks and all, but I've never seen anything really like it. It's the whole arena shmup/geometry wars spawning stuff turned up to 11.

The video looks like it's being fast-forwarded to me, but the description and such don't mention if it is. If that's not the case than I have no idea how you'd be able to play this without having a coffee IV beforehand or something. I still want to play it, but god drat that's fast.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Basically, you have a dash move ("Turbo") that gives you a short period of invincibility when you use it. You get coins and can use them to upgrade it, if I remember right. Also, because the screen area is so wide you kind of need it to get to certain areas fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Sizone posted:

In general, agree on a game, set up a time window for everyone to practice, set up a smaller time window for everyone to post their scores, determine winner by comparing scores.

More specifically, I was thinking

Pick a game that is easily accessible, something everyone can find and get running. For simplicity and time constraints, a game that has a caravan mode (time limited score attack, usually 2 or 5 minutes and fixed settings (lives, bombs, ect.)) or a doujin game which is nothing but a caravan mode would probably be preferable, but really anything would work.
Recca has already been mentioned, if you can get a NES emulator working then you can play it. Personally, I think it's a neat NES tech demo, but not that great of a game.
The TG16 is well emulated and has a ton of caravan mode shmups and shmups that were played in the Summer Carnivals from which this idea is ripped off. I like Compile so I'd probably lean towards Spriggan, I also like Star Soldier games so I'd also consider Soldier Blade to be a good choice.

Once the game has been chosen, set up a schedule. Since we're mostly not crazy people with TATE setups, superguns and PCBs, I'm thinking 2 weeks would be a good amount of practice time. Not enough time, by any stretch of the imagination, to master a game, but long enough to get the hang of it, especially in a 2 or 5 minute mode and demonstrate that you're not completely rubbish. After the practice period, maybe a week for everyone to post their scores.

Score posting can be done either via screenshot or simply by posting your score. There is gently caress all to gain from cheating, so the honor system will be fine.

If there's a desire to add more depth to the competition, then we could repeat the process for a handful of games. Something like how a season in autoracing is judged, with 1st place being worth so many points, 2nd being worth so many and so on. Those points being aggregated over all the games played.

I would totally be up for Spriggan, because Compile has the best drat upgrade systems. Bizhawk has a built-in recorder as well, so making videos is a non-issue. I never played it before last night, and holy poo poo this is the best Compile game.