Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone pursued any AI certifications?

I've been around IT for over a decade and am not a huge believer in the business value (yet) but it seems the wind is strongly blowing that direction. I see Azure has a few AI certs. Might try their 900 version.

I heard all Microsoft employees have to pass AI-900. I'm studying it for it myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

salartarium posted:

Passed Server+ yesterday. I was bad and only read up to Chapter 3 of the book. I was not expecting so many practical/simulation questions and took up every second that I had.

How difficult did you feel Server+ was, and how long did you take with studying/prep?

I'm looking to take it fairly soon, to fulfill a requirement for a potential promotion...Though for the most part, I'm not so sure why I'd need to pass it short of dodging the HR filter, and even then, I'm not certain how stringent the requirement would be.

based64
Feb 15, 2024

:question:

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 8, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any advice for getting geared up to study the CISSP? I have my Security+ and most of my work experience has been around IAM. I'm mainly looking at it to open up more doors on the government side of things.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It’s been like 8 years but I just used 11th Hour CISSP and the Official ISC2 Practice Tests as material. Also the Sunflower Cheatsheet although I’m not sure that’s still a thing.

Run through those for a month or two and assuming you’re scoring ~80% on the practices you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Passed my third to last class at WGU. Just python and the capstone left and I’m done

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
hell yea, keep it up

ive been dragging my feet on writing assignments but I'm still ahead, all things considered

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hotel Kpro posted:

Passed my third to last class at WGU. Just python and the capstone left and I’m done

Way to go! I just started. :smith:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Is the general consensus here that wgu is good? I have no prior opinion on it, but I'm already doing an associates completely online from a community college so if they have a bachelor's thing that's relevant to my interests, I'd def check it out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

hark posted:

Is the general consensus here that wgu is good? I have no prior opinion on it, but I'm already doing an associates completely online from a community college so if they have a bachelor's thing that's relevant to my interests, I'd def check it out.

I think IT Goons are high on WGU. My personal opinion is that "good" is relative in terms of education. For me, "good" meant affordable, easy to enroll, and accredited as a reputable program. WGU checks all the boxes.

The biggest draw to WGU for me is that it is self-paced, so there is a possibility that I could complete a Masters degree in 6 months. That takes into account that I've been working in the domain for a decade.

based64
Feb 15, 2024

:question:

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 8, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

hark posted:

WGU always felt like a thing meant for older workers getting a resume screen degree or a quick masters.

IDK your particular situation but you'd probably be better served getting your Bachelors from a state school or something.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 7, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

skooma512 posted:

WGU always felt like a thing meant for older workers getting a resume screen degree or a quick masters.

I feel seen.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

[/b]

I feel seen.

Yup

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I went through an Associates full on campus, Bachelors from WGU fully online, and working on my Masters at a college that does hybrid in-person/remote and I can say from my personal experience that the WGU program was just as good as my other programs. Probably even better than my current Masters program because some of those professors just have given up and are completely wasting my and their time.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I did WGU for my BS completion back in 2015. It checked a box quickly for me due to the certification credit transfers and allowed me to move onto a masters at a more well-known university. I don’t regret it.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Knowing what I know now, if I had the opportunity to go back in time and redo a life choice, getting my bachelors in an IT field from WGU instead of the state school I went to is easily near the very top of the list.

Though yeah my MBA is from WGU and it was a very “check the box for as cheap and fast/convenient as possible” as it was ultimately free for me (compared to $17k the local hybrid program would have cost me) and I was even able to move for much better paying job midway.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Something I've seen a lot of people doing now is taking classes from Sophia.com before they enroll at WGU, as the classes are pretty easy and transfer well into WGU credits so those who want to accelerate will do that first.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Those who’ve earned AWS certs, are they worth the time sink? My life is pretty much terraform, AWS, and GitLab all day every day. I was looking at the DevOps and SA Pro Certs or some specialty ones.

Some of it would require actually researching things we don’t use eg Sagemaker, AI/ML, Route53 since we use Cloudflare, but if I’m getting reimbursed, I don’t see why not.

Also, depending on if I get split on another contract, there’s some MS ones to look at since I have literally 0. Which I guess is where experience shows since that’s what I was hired off of.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
RE: WGU

Already have a BS in Science (Info Systems), been doing sysadmin/neteng poo poo for over a decade now. Unsure if WGU would be worth the resume boost (I'm also lacking certs, since current place doesn't give a poo poo about em, and I didn't plan on leaving until more recently).

Don't want to go management, wondering if their "Cybersecurity & Information Assurance – M.S" would be beneficial.

MS above rounded off with the standard sysadmin/neteng certs (ccna/np, jncia/p, fortiwhatever, ms) + some ~cloud~ ? Class/cert mayhem for 18 months, then maybe I can rage quit like I dream about?

I was going to take the vcap exams, but that seems quite less valuable now.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

EconOutlines posted:

Those who’ve earned AWS certs, are they worth the time sink? My life is pretty much terraform, AWS, and GitLab all day every day. I was looking at the DevOps and SA Pro Certs or some specialty ones.

Some of it would require actually researching things we don’t use eg Sagemaker, AI/ML, Route53 since we use Cloudflare, but if I’m getting reimbursed, I don’t see why not.

Also, depending on if I get split on another contract, there’s some MS ones to look at since I have literally 0. Which I guess is where experience shows since that’s what I was hired off of.

I’m doing contracting mostly for AWS roles so for me it’s worth it. With the job market become a lot more tight the SA Pro cert seems to help getting me interviews.

It also makes me actively look into services I don’t use that often which broadens my skillset.

Fwiw, you don’t really have to spend much (or anything) to study for the certs. Most of it is doable on free tier, but you usually don’t really need the hands on experience to pass the exam (although yhat obviously helps).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EconOutlines posted:

I think so? But I work primarily in AWS so they were relatively easy for me to get.

If nothing else they serve as a good guide to basic services you should be comfortable working with.

I should go for my SA Pro here soon. Been dragging my feet.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skooma512 posted:

IDK your particular situation but you'd probably be better served getting your Bachelors from a state school or something.

I got my bachelors from WGU about 10 years ago now (Nov 2013), and for me it was a way to get the resume screen degree. I had already been in IT for about 8 years and wasn't making past the HR folks with my AAS for jobs I wanted.

I will say though, the quality of the course work was on par with the classes I took at community college and the semester I did at Arizona State. It's a legit degree, not a University of Phoenix situation where if you're breathing and the financial aid clears you pass.

There wasn't as many options for legitimate(accredited) 4 year degrees online when I started like 13 years ago, but I'd do it again. Thinking about using WGU for a Masters degree in a couple years when the kids are a little older and I hopefully have some more free time.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Any recommendations for Security+ study materials? Both printed book format and online. Thanks.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I threw down $80 on Boson and knocked it out in five weeks. Can’t speak to any of the free stuff out there, I’m sure some of it is pretty good

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Get Certified Get Ahead was the defacto security+ book for years but unfortunately the author passed away in 2022 and the 601 version is the last he wrote if you plan to take that version of the exam.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

sporkstand posted:

Any recommendations for Security+ study materials? Both printed book format and online. Thanks.

Professor Messer has great free courses for the Sec+ on YouTube along with live streamed study sessions. I used his videos, Jason Dion on Udemy and some book that’s at home and I can’t remember the publisher.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Killer_B posted:

How difficult did you feel Server+ was, and how long did you take with studying/prep?

I'm looking to take it fairly soon, to fulfill a requirement for a potential promotion...Though for the most part, I'm not so sure why I'd need to pass it short of dodging the HR filter, and even then, I'm not certain how stringent the requirement would be.

About 90 days of studying. Took a 24 hour course on skillsoft and then used their practice test. Also, downloaded the ebook study guide but didn’t read much.

Honestly a lot of it was really easy questions but very broad and then the few hard practice simulations. If you have a basic IT, networking, Linux CLI knowledge it shouldn’t take long to learn the server hardware stuff.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
Passed AZ-900 today with flying colors.

I was shocked because I repeatedly bobbed the practice exam I had on Pluralsight. I think they just cribbed questions from a AZ-104 exam because questions weren’t even similar

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

salartarium posted:

About 90 days of studying. Took a 24 hour course on skillsoft and then used their practice test. Also, downloaded the ebook study guide but didn’t read much.

Honestly a lot of it was really easy questions but very broad and then the few hard practice simulations. If you have a basic IT, networking, Linux CLI knowledge it shouldn’t take long to learn the server hardware stuff.

Passed Server+ this past weekend.

Agreed, many of the questions were pretty much "DUH" level questions.

I did perhaps a month of studying, tops.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Just wanted to say - thank you thread for pointing me towards WGU. I'm the proverbial older IT worker who needs to pass some HR screens, and it looks like they're seemingly going to take my 54 credits from community college :toot:

For certification content - anyone pass their CCNP Security? I'm not a security guy, but I need IaT II at a minimum for work, and CCNP Security goes a lot further than Security+.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I can’t speak for the CCNP security but the reason the vast majority of IAT II position holders go with security+ is because it’s by far the easiest certification on the list. Unless you cheat, I imagine you’re looking at a week of studying versus 6+ months of studying, especially if you aren’t a security person. I’ve met FSOs you weren’t even aware there were other qualifying certs.

Heck IAT II hasn’t even been updated to reflect that CCNA Security is no longer a thing. Since it was retired in 2020, I’m not even sure if there is still anyone certified with it.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 20, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vampire Panties posted:

Just wanted to say - thank you thread for pointing me towards WGU. I'm the proverbial older IT worker who needs to pass some HR screens, and it looks like they're seemingly going to take my 54 credits from community college :toot:

For certification content - anyone pass their CCNP Security? I'm not a security guy, but I need IaT II at a minimum for work, and CCNP Security goes a lot further than Security+.

If you're in the space that requires IAT II, just get the Security+ unless you specifically need that CCNP Security.

75% of the IT postings on ClearanceJobs directly ask for the Security+ in the requirements.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Thanks for both of your answers, and yes IaT II is all I need because I'm a collab guy. I am reviewing online stuff for Security+ and it its significantly easier than the CCNP Security. I'd been talking to recruiters (which is its own :downs:) and a few separate recruiters with different companies had made it seem like the Security+ was a meat grinder. I'm not sure who they were interviewing or talking to, but the practice test i'm looking at right now is common sense stuff? :shrug:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

In the past year I've gotten my Sec+, Net+ and CySA+. My ability to study has taken a hit because of depression and job hunting stress, but I know I need to get more poo poo next to my name to move to a better paying position in this area.

So now I have scheduled my Server+ test just to get myself off my rear end and finish going through training material. I don't see it being a problem passing based on the practice tests I have taken, I am just so tired of going through videos explaining stuff that I (mostly) already know.

Next on my list, Linux+ - which will at least be stuff that I've only dabbled in so it should be somewhat interesting.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Is Linux+ worth getting (as in will it open any kind of door) if I don't have any other certs yet? I like Linux and use it daily so I have contemplated getting that cert, but was curious about this, as I probably won't try to do any other certs I had planned until I finish this associates in networking

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

hark posted:

Is Linux+ worth getting (as in will it open any kind of door) if I don't have any other certs yet? I like Linux and use it daily so I have contemplated getting that cert, but was curious about this, as I probably won't try to do any other certs I had planned until I finish this associates in networking

No. RHCSA or bust.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

Thanks for both of your answers, and yes IaT II is all I need because I'm a collab guy. I am reviewing online stuff for Security+ and it its significantly easier than the CCNP Security. I'd been talking to recruiters (which is its own :downs:) and a few separate recruiters with different companies had made it seem like the Security+ was a meat grinder. I'm not sure who they were interviewing or talking to, but the practice test i'm looking at right now is common sense stuff? :shrug:

IDK if they were thinking of CISSP or something else but lol at Sec+ being a meat grinder. You could pass it with no book, just youtube, it's cake.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

skooma512 posted:

IDK if they were thinking of CISSP or something else but lol at Sec+ being a meat grinder. You could pass it with no book, just youtube, it's cake.

I could see it being a large barrier for people whose experience is tangential to IT but the job posting requiring one. Other than that, if you're comfortable and work with tech daily, you'll likely be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hughmoris posted:

I could see it being a large barrier for people whose experience is tangential to IT but the job posting requiring one. Other than that, if you're comfortable and work with tech daily, you'll likely be fine.

skooma512 posted:

I'm guessing, but I think its the PBQs. A lot of voice dudes I've worked with wouldn't understand ACLs or how to ping from a workstation