Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

guppy posted:

Congrats!

It's been a while since my CCNA but as I recall you don't find out the results when you finish, you have to go get the report from the proctor.

The screen legit said “congratulates you passed!” the moment that I hit the finish exam button. It was so fast that I honestly figured that I had mistaken it for something else.

I appreciate the immediate feedback, as having to wait after feeling like I bombed it with a C- amount of question answering would have been stressful. Maybe it would have been even more of a surprise though?

edit - I guess I am forgetting that a C- is still technically a pass in the grading terminology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Handsome Ralph posted:

CompTIA does let you go back and forth, which is great because as you said, sometimes you will see a question later on that gives the answer to a previous question.

Confirmed, with Comptia you can go back and forth/flag for review before you submit.

I wasn't sure if there's a similar mechanic for doing any of the Microsoft exams, the labs/scenario with the MD-101 based questions scared me enough about just powering through those at the beginning, just so I got credit for them, thankfully I had enough time to complete the rest and review the questions I flagged.

Oh, passed Security+ earlier today, 789. Pass is a pass.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

jeeves posted:

The screen legit said “congratulates you passed!” the moment that I hit the finish exam button. It was so fast that I honestly figured that I had mistaken it for something else.

I appreciate the immediate feedback, as having to wait after feeling like I bombed it with a C- amount of question answering would have been stressful. Maybe it would have been even more of a surprise though?

edit - I guess I am forgetting that a C- is still technically a pass in the grading terminology.

The passing score for the first A+ exam (now replaced with the current version) was only 675, so technically even a D+ can be considered mostly a pass?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone took a stab at any of the Microsoft Security certs, like the SC-300 or SC-200?

Or work with Sentinel or Entra ID on a daily basis?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
now that i have a job now after three years how about i just blow $99 on an AZ-900 voucher?:shepface:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Idk if they're still doing it, but you can sign up for a webinar through MS and get a code to take it for free. That's what I did earlier this year.

It's also a mind bogglingly easy cert, I mean still do some studying for it but honestly MS-900 was somehow more difficult.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Idk if they're still doing it, but you can sign up for a webinar through MS and get a code to take it for free. That's what I did earlier this year.

It's also a mind bogglingly easy cert, I mean still do some studying for it but honestly MS-900 was somehow more difficult.

That was a special event. Microsoft does something like that at least once a year, though not in November with Ignite this year, but in the spring when I and probably you got this voucher.

A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks, it's up to you if you feel like AZ-900 would be worth it but IMO I would wait and see for a free voucher. This was in March IIRC. Also IIRC I hear Microsoft isn't going to give out free vouchers no more because lol economy, but they only ever did that for a limited time during events.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/offers/30-days-to-learn-it

Looks like they might still be offering 50% off on exams whenevers if you do whatever this poo poo is? If it works like the two times I did skill challenges for vouchers, don't sweat the little quizzes at the end of the modules or the labs, they only care if you complete them and the labs are practically optional and not assessed. You're gonna want to use these learning pathes for AZ-900 and higher anyway so hopefully you can two birds it and do your study and knock the price down to 50 bucks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Passed the CCNA exam this morning :toot:

I felt the most sanguine taking this cert compared to the sec+ and net+ certs where I constantly felt like I was bombing. It was hard, but I just kept telling myself to just loving send it, and worst case scenario I take it again with the safeguard option I paid for. Honestly having that in the back of my head throughout the exam more than paid for itself.

Think I'm done with certs for awhile though, started out the year getting my CompTIA trifecta knocked out before landing a job, then my boss at my new job encouraged me to earn this. I'm hopeful this helps open things up for me going forward.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Handsome Ralph posted:

I felt the most sanguine taking this cert compared to the sec+ and net+ certs where I constantly felt like I was bombing. It was hard, but I just kept telling myself to just loving send it, and worst case scenario I take it again with the safeguard option I paid for. Honestly having that in the back of my head throughout the exam more than paid for itself.

Think I'm done with certs for awhile though, started out the year getting my CompTIA trifecta knocked out before landing a job, then my boss at my new job encouraged me to earn this. I'm hopeful this helps open things up for me going forward.

Congrats!!

Is networking your current line of work, or are you rounding out the skillset for a future jump?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Currently doing desktop support, but I'd like to jump into the netops side of things at some point. My office had a network engineer that left before I started. The position was going to be filled but was put on hold till a merger went through. With that recently wrapping up, it's most likely getting opened up again next year, so I'm angling for that right now.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Congrats, hope you’ll get the job!

I’m going to set myself the goal to get AWS SysOps Associate and AWS DevOps Professional before the summer of 2024 to complete all the main certs.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

man i gotta bang out my server+ finally so i can get my trifecta done

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Handsome Ralph posted:

Congrats! CCNA isn't easy and I think it's one of the most consequential certs you can earn.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Handsome Ralph posted:

Woohoo! Love to hear it. I just booked my exam (Feb 3rd) and took the safeguard option for the same reason.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I'm trying to pick back up with the certification grind for 2024 after basically taking 2023 off. I'm also planning to give myself a 6 month prep timeline instead of my usual 2 month panic grind, so hopefully with much less burnout this time.

Anyway, I'm looking into pursuing the Cisco Certified Devnet Associate (CCDA?), just curious if anyone here has experience with that one. Also specifically, does anyone know if it would renew my CCNA as well? They're both 'associate' tier so I'm not clear on that part.

Thanks!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Passed my CySA+ today. It had a lot of questions about how to interpret shell commands which I am definitely not strong at.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

chin up everything sucks posted:

Passed my CySA+ today. It had a lot of questions about how to interpret shell commands which I am definitely not strong at.

Congrats! That cert is on my list of ones to earn for 2024.

Have you taken the Security+ exam? How would you say the CySA+ compares?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats! That cert is on my list of ones to earn for 2024.

Have you taken the Security+ exam? How would you say the CySA+ compares?

I have my Sec+, the CySA is way more focused on how to analyze logs, how to do things according to policy, what thing to do when you encounter an incident, what to do after an incident is resolved and how to identify what the best way to handle/set policy is.
Sec+ was more about knowing how encryption works, how kerberos works, etc. The stuff you want to know as a system administrator trying to set stuff up or figure out how servers are communicating.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone have any experience with the Fortinet certs? Those are the next that my job wants me to pursue and they seem way more niche than Cisco poo poo.

I actively use FortiGate firewalls on a daily basis at my job so I’m not too worried about passing them, it’s just weird that I didn’t even really know that existed until know and thought I’d ask for people’s opinions on them.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The first three NSE exams are straight generic security topics and trivia about the whole FortiFabric ecosystem and are non-proctored if you haven’t already realized that. NSE4 is when you start to have to schedule with Pearson Vue or whoever.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah I was good with the analysis portion and I think I killed my 5 PBQs but the questions like “Here is a thing you want to do and here are 4 virtually identical Linux commands. Which one is right?” murdered me.

Still, a pass is a pass, and I got it right before I started interviewing for a promotion that I’m hoping to get good news on in the new year.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

rafikki posted:

The first three NSE exams are straight generic security topics and trivia about the whole FortiFabric ecosystem and are non-proctored if you haven’t already realized that. NSE4 is when you start to have to schedule with Pearson Vue or whoever.

I got a free Fortinet router after passing my NSE4 I think. They sent it to me for 'testing and development' but it immediately became my home router.

It's not super hard by any means but it's very specific to Fortinet.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

jeeves posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Fortinet certs? Those are the next that my job wants me to pursue and they seem way more niche than Cisco poo poo.

I actively use FortiGate firewalls on a daily basis at my job so I’m not too worried about passing them, it’s just weird that I didn’t even really know that existed until know and thought I’d ask for people’s opinions on them.

NSE4 is what you'd want to look at, it covers the firewalls (technically FortiOS), the other ones above that (NSE5 6 etc) are for other products/solutions.

NSE4 wasn't easy but it wasn't terribly difficult either, I'd put it around CCNA level of difficulty.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Anyone have a suggestion for what cert I should go for next? I have my Sec+, Network+ and CySA+ and I haven't decided what else to go for. I'm currently waiting for my security clearance to finalize and I'm in a very boring helldesk job with a couple free hours a day and free access to cbtnuggets.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It sounds like the leap to CCNA is next on those.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Hey thread, just wondering if anyone has ever done any training for any cert through udemy and thought it was worthwhile. I have access to one of those unlimited accounts (I forget what they're called because I don't frequent the platform much) through my work and I figure why not use that to train for certifications of some kind?

I currently have no certs but I'm halfway through my associates in computer networking and it's all heavily CCNA leaning material and our class workbooks are Cisco, so I assume that'll be the first thing I try to get.

Any suggestions for specific courses would be great, and if not, I'm open to other platforms even if they're paid. Just wanna try to utilize this free poo poo while also sticking it to my current workplace by using the udemy account they give me to get a different job.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

hark posted:

Hey thread, just wondering if anyone has ever done any training for any cert through udemy and thought it was worthwhile. I have access to one of those unlimited accounts (I forget what they're called because I don't frequent the platform much) through my work and I figure why not use that to train for certifications of some kind?

I currently have no certs but I'm halfway through my associates in computer networking and it's all heavily CCNA leaning material and our class workbooks are Cisco, so I assume that'll be the first thing I try to get.

Any suggestions for specific courses would be great, and if not, I'm open to other platforms even if they're paid. Just wanna try to utilize this free poo poo while also sticking it to my current workplace by using the udemy account they give me to get a different job.

I used Udemy for most of my certs (CompTIA trifecta, CCNA). Neil Anderson's CCNA course is pretty solid and has good labs as well. For CompTIA, I just used Mike Meyers stuff and it was pretty good as well.

For practice tests, Dion Academy's are well regarded for preparing for CompTIA's exams.

Anyone have a suggestion for what cert I should go for next? I have my Sec+, Network+ and CySA+ and I haven't decided what else to go for. I'm currently waiting for my security clearance to finalize and I'm in a very boring helldesk job with a couple free hours a day and free access to cbtnuggets.

Echoing going for your CCNA, my net+ and sec+ gave me a really solid foundation going into the CCNA, and I have no doubts the same would apply to you.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I'm currently trying to decide what to study next after completing my CCNA, I want to just keep moving on to ENCOR as it's relevant to my current duties as a jr net admin and have plenty of hands-on experience with a number of the topics... but before the CCNA (work required it for my position) I was studying for the Linux+ and almost passed so I also kind of want to finish that off.

For ENCOR study, I have the new 2nd edition OCG, but what are some good resources for video and labs (physical or virtual)? Jeremy's ENCOR video series isn't complete sadly. Boson was crucial to my CCNA study so I'll take a look at that for sure, but I know there are a couple of options for emulators and I do have a physical lab I can put to use now.

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 5, 2024

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Sixfools posted:

For ENCOR study, I have the new 2nd edition OCG, but what are some good resources for video and labs (physical or virtual)? Jeremy's ENCOR video series isn't complete sadly. Boson was crucial to my CCNA study so I'll take a look at that for sure, but I know there are a couple of options for emulators and I do have a physical lab I can put to use now.

If work will pay for it, look into Cisco’s “e-Learning” courses (terrible branding, great courseware) - they have labs built in, so you get instant hands-on with pre-set scenarios as you go. Everything is presented with written text/graphics and videos both, so you can follow what works best. If you want more freeform learning, pick up CML Personal. You can pay for both with CLCs, if that’s an option for you.

Edit: Actually, CML also requires a hell of a RAM-filled computer to run the simulations, so if you don’t have at least 32GB (and ideally 64+), probably not worth bothering with. I would just get the e-Learning and use those virtual labs to test what I want, since it’s all in the cloud.

Edit edit: Here’s an example link to the e-Learning I’m talking about https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/cisco-study-bundles/encor-e-learning-and-exam-bundle/CSCU-LPEX-ENCOR-V1-028237.html

Dalrain fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 6, 2024

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
If you are already working as an admin, you probably have access to some Cisco images via their support site right? I haven’t set up a GNS environment, it’s one of those things I keep planning to do, but you could probably download those images yourself and build the labs yourself.

Not sure what kind of requirements are needed for GNS. I actually have considered building mine in AWS or some other cloud service, to add a little bit of experience with that. Just make sure to shut it down when you’re not using it.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
After going through Comptia's Certmaster for the Project+ I am even less confident than I was when I started it...

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
You’ll be fine, probably. I don’t think project+ is supposed to be difficult

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I failed my first go by a few points so I'm already well past sick of everything about this cert lol

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Hotel Kpro posted:

You’ll be fine, probably. I don’t think project+ is supposed to be difficult

Narrator: "He was fine."

Passed that poo poo, get outta my way CompTIA.

Lots of trickily worded questions as per the norm.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Congrats!

Probably one of my least favorite of those tests, it was just memorizing word salad for what felt like weeks. I promptly forgot everything about it

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm confused about Cisco CE credits. Can they only be used to recertify an cert you already have? Or can they be used to earn a new cert?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Charliegrs posted:

I'm confused about Cisco CE credits. Can they only be used to recertify an cert you already have? Or can they be used to earn a new cert?

Recert what you have.

Let's say you got your CCNA back in late 2021. You have three years since your last recertification event (CE credits, passed the appropriate tier exam) to recertify, else you lose your certification. Get 30 CE credits before those three years are up, you're good for three years out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Am I going crazy or does the new MS-102 Identity Exam not touch on Enterprise Applications, Application Registration, Admin Consent, etc.!?!?!

What Microsoft cert does?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gucci Loafers posted:

Am I going crazy or does the new MS-102 Identity Exam not touch on Enterprise Applications, Application Registration, Admin Consent, etc.!?!?!

What Microsoft cert does?

SC-300 might have you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
Passed Server+ yesterday. I was bad and only read up to Chapter 3 of the book. I was not expecting so many practical/simulation questions and took up every second that I had.