Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

I definitely had a question about T568A/B on my A+ when I took it last summer. I also had two questions about it on my Network+, but it was far more expected that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

GOOCHY posted:

I only started to sweat a little bit when the EIGRP sim wasn't working for me. Sims are a big part of the weighted scoring so I definitely missed some points there. I think there was about a half hour worth of time left after I was done with the test.

This is coming from a person who has been working for a MSP/carrier level network for several years, though. Your mileage may vary if you don't have a bit of experience behind you. Granted, I was pretty deliberate about going through all the options and reading everything so I wasn't exactly trying to set the record for the quickest CCNA ever.

I just passed by the skin of my teeth with 828 ( first attempt, though I previously had just recently obtained my CCENT). I also had some issues with the EIGRP lab. I checked my work with my study guides when I got home and I had followed the correct configuration steps when writing but wasn't getting the proper results. Also encountered a bug with text getting cut off for my VTP simlet and no window adjustments or scrolling would fix it. I'd raise a stink about it had I narrowly failed. That EIGRP lab caused me to also be in a time crunch for the last half of the exam.

Why take ICND1 and then the 640-802? Long story involving vouchers, but I paid nothing as everything was covered by work.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

hackedaccount posted:

Thanks man. Anyone else want to weigh in, that sound about right?

Sounds accurate. I think the test is a breeze with the right preparation. The ICDN2 (for a relative newcomer to midsize business networking), decidedly less so.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

My work (a telco) is offering courses for the two CCNA SP exams, which I have enrolled for (Global Knowledge is our training vendor, my limited experience with them has been positive). The curious thing about CCNA SP is, of course, that there is no real study material readily available for it outside of classroom training (please, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong). BGP, VRF, and IOS XR are some of the more relevant topics in it that I deal with every day but have little understanding of. I'm hoping to knock out both exams as quickly as possible following the training, I'm counting on some of the CCNA Routing and Switching overlap to help me be ready faster. Work is really starting to add significant incentives to maintain a CCNP or higher, but it was always kind of my plan to tackle at least one CCNA concentration before moving on to ROUTE as a starting point.

I was able to start a real lab with spare equipment from work, so that should definitely help CCNP study. I have two 2811s (with what was the newest IOS 15 release last I checked), an 1841 with IOS 12, and sadly only one switch so far, however, it is a Catalyst 3550 (Layer 3!!!!!!). I'm thinking of adding a couple more switches to the mix, one being PoE preferably, to round out the lab shortly.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

e- Also, how much is each CCNA test if you go the two-test route?

$150 each, the standalone CCNA is 290ish, I think, trying to verify on their site but it's not loading for me presently. So, you don't save a lot on the single test. Go the two test route, I did the single test successfully, but I don't recommend it.

Canadian Maniac fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 11, 2013

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

Has anyone here gotten their CCNA Service Provider? I just finished a training course for the SPNGN1 (first of two exams) through work and I'm sitting the exam in 2.5 weeks. I have my CCNA:R&S but I'm worried about the IOS XR stuff (annoying differences in commands compared to IOS/IOS XE), and I actually work with IOS XR routers at my job. Just worried I'm going to freeze up on that stuff, but I guess I'll see how it goes and, in a worst case, learn the hard way what I need to focus on for a rewrite.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

CheeseSpawn posted:

IOS to XR etc basically shows that IOS was showing its age and definitely took hints from junOS. I'm getting more comfortable with XR but I sure as hell miss the show | compare and commit check commands in junOS. It was a great way to make sure I didnt gently caress over anything in my config changes. Also display set beats the hell out of show run formal. What to know a hosed up router/switch OS? Try Alcatel Timos. Working with the GUI is better than working on the cmd line.

My ROUTE expires at the end of the year I think so I really need to get SWITCH done in the next two months but :effort:

I use TiMOS every day at work and it's simply baffling. I can manage to accomplish most tasks using a combination of the CLI and their Service Aware Manager software, but it's a grind every time.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

Passed the CCNA SP part 1 exam a couple of weeks ago, amusingly, both labs were about Cisco proprietary protocols. Just this last week I attended a training course for part 2, and it was a hell of a grind. Thankfully I get hands on exposure with IOS XR at work, so hopefully it will help me keep sharp when I write the next test in two more weeks.

Oh, and I just discovered that I passed the Mobility+ beta exam! The passing mark seems quite low at 720/900 so if you want a MDM cert of extremely questionable value, I imagine it's going live pretty soon.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

TKovacs2 posted:

Came home today to find an envelope from Pearson on the table. Assumed it was one of those silly VCA certs, but it turned out to be the results of the Mobility+ beta exam I took way back in May. Turns out I comfortably passed! 782, needed a 720 out of 900 to pass.

Good way to begin the weekend if nothing else.

I seem to be the only person to get no email or letter from Pearson Vue regarding Mobility+. I logged into their site, saw the passing mark, and then two days later I got the CompTIA email asking me to verify my address so that they can send the certificate kit.

Jelmylicious posted:

I just took and passed SPCORE. The exam actually felt easier then ROUTE or SWITCH, because the scope is more limited. This might also be due to the fact that Idid a week long course, instead of group study. Next up, SPEDGE & SPADVROUTE.

Why does spedge sound like a bodily fluid?

I'm taking a 5 day SPROUTE course in two weeks and I can't say I'm looking forward to it, I told myself I wasn't going to pursue Service Provider any further than Associate (I write the SPNGN 2 exam next Wednesday). However, paid Cisco training from work can be highly addicting. Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in!

Canadian Maniac fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 16, 2013

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

547/1000 on 640-722 when I just finished a half dozen practice tests in the low 900's

Make sure , uh, if you get signed up for a class, that they actually cover stuff that's on the test? I'd say 30% we'd never touched on. labs weren't too awful.

CCNA expires tomorrow. Oh well, it was fun.

I know the feeling. I got burned bad my first attempt at the 640-461 for Voice, the in-class training (using material created BY Cisco) I received only covered UPC 7.0 and 8.0. My first question of the exam? It was about Jabber, never covered in any material I looked at. Also, our instructor assured us we wouldn't need to worry about rote memorization of GUI menu paths, but I had a lot of questions that were exactly that. I don't do any regular Call Manager (or any other Cisco voice product) administrative work, so I was working from the knowledge from my somewhat limited lab time and my studies.

So knowing what to expect the second time around, I regrouped and re-focused my studies over a couple of weeks and squeaked out a pass the second time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

Hz so good posted:

Oh, and another question. I was looking at CCNA Service Provider and SP OPs, since I did some of that work for 6 years. I can't find any books on the subject. I ended up having to torrent a CCIE Advance Tech Course from INE just to get *some* idea of what that track is about. Do you, or anybody else here having any info on that cert track?

I obtained my CCNA SP in the last few months, but I was lucky enough to attend classroom training for it and so I have Cisco's own training material for the cert. I had the same issue prior to the classes, my research pointed me to a couple of books from Cisco: IOS XR Fundamentals and MPLS Fundamentals. It's a substantial amount of reading, but I particularly found the IOS XR book handy as I deal with XR devices at my job. The crudest breakdown of the cert I can offer is that it's essentially CCNA:R&S with the following topics added into it:

IOS XR
Heavier IPv6 focus (it might be in line with the latest CCNA:R&S revision, I'm not sure)
Switching: MSTP, REP, and ME3400 switches
Routing: IS-IS, BGP

So, it's a wider topic base and during the exam it felt shallower than R&S did. CBT Nuggets is working on videos for it right now, it looks like they've mostly completed the SPNGN1 series at this point.