Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Xenaero posted:

So if I shoot for A+, N+ and S+ you would figure that would be a good groundwork to get past the HR wall of death and have a potential interview? I have practical experience but no certs and I'm not landing anything. Would the certs really help that much?

This is exactly the situation I am in and that's my plan minus the S+ for now. I've got 2 years in the field and I used to hear back from jobs that were basically sidesteps in terms of promotion but I've gone dry for the past 2 months or so since I started trying to land a more administrative position. Having a plan definitely gives me hope and makes me feel better about life rather than just sitting here and continuing to apply to job after job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Welp I failed the 220-801 exam by 29 loving points so I feel like a real dummy now. I know exactly what I hosed up on and didn't really prepare myself fully for the test. I'm kicking myself in my nuts now because my girlfriend told me to look my poo poo over the night before, which I did not do, so maybe those god drat 29 points could have come from that.

Really I'm just pissed that I wasted a good amount of money on that shot. When I go to re-take the exam, will it be the same exact test or will some things be different?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Kaethela posted:

If I may ask, what did you gently caress up on/not read up enough about? Planning on taking mine in a few weeks and want to be sure I'm prepared for it.

Well, I've been working in the field for 3 years so I figured I would do just fine. I spent about 4 months slogging through the Mike Myers book because it was boring as poo poo and some of the early stuff is what got me. I know for a fact I hosed up on naming basically every socket/connection on a motherboard because I simply didn't remember. Other than that, I also poo poo the bed when it came to questions like the max speed of USB 2.0 and some port related questions.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Definitely will not be identical (i.e. same questions), though the format will be the same. Don't feel dumb about it, just be better prepared next time. In future though, look into using a second shot voucher. It's a promo code you use when registering for the exam, and if you fail you get to try again free. They're mutually exclusive of the X% off ones though, so you have to pick one or the other. Check on ebay.

Never knew about that, wish I had known beforehand. Cheers for that though.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I failed the A+ 801 exam recently by a few points and I just checked my email to see that CompTIA sent me an email congratulating me on passing the test and that I just needed one more to be certified. I was a little confused, then I got another one 3 hours later telling me not to give up because 20% of people fail it the first time. Thanks a lot you fucks.