Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
Wendel Odom's book on ROUTE is giving me chronic narcolepsy. It was noon, I just finished a large coffee and after 7 pages I was completely unconscious.

Hysterix posted:

My current goal is medical informatics, probably on the programming end. I've been good at programming in the limited coursework I've had (C in high school and C# last semester). That said, I'm a belt and suspenders person, so the more options I have, the better.

I'm doing something similar, going to school for CS while getting a pile of certs on the side. My goal is to become a massive generalist in security, but other than that I don't know why anyone would do what I do.

Rene Rancourt fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

dolicf posted:

Get a CCNA. Security+ is basically a joke cert that is pretty much just an HR checkbox.

Edit: Or better yet, do both. Security+ can be studied up for and passed with no prior IT knowledge in like a week tops.

I heard that it's a pretty big HR checkbox, though. Especially with the government.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Is there a general consensus on the quality of CBT Nuggets video training?

I use them for networking, along with reading the official study guides. What I do is I pick a particular topic, watch the video on it, and then read it in the study book. It makes things stick and the giant textbooks become much easier to digest. Jeremy gets annoying fairly quick but at least it isn't dry.

Also be sure to throw some hands on stuff in there, I think that applies to all certs.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

CheeseSpawn posted:

I took mine back in early 2011. I can tell you if you know the material in the LAB book, it's overkill for the sim questions. Nonetheless, the lab material is good to know for real world situations. If you are following the cert guide book, you need to know at least the keypoints. If you can effectively summarize each chapter, it'll go a long way in helping you. There's also knowing what cisco commands does what in order to apply in this situation type questions. You definitely need to know your EIGRP/OSPF and redistribution between routing protocols. Everything else is a blurr.

I'll have to brush up on LAN routing protocols for TSHOOT in a couple of months however. Should be fun to go back through ROUTE.

So there's less trivial bullshit on the ROUTE? I won't get asked to do things (as an extreme example) like gently caress with/calculate the reliability K-values?

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

I struggled with subnetting until one day I realized that it was just basic fractions (1 bit slices the network pie into halves, 2 bits slices it into quarters) and after that it just stuck.

e: also I think making subnetting a ICND1 topic and VLSM a ICND2 topic is dumb.

Rene Rancourt fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 12, 2013

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

A galactic federation of aliens will contact Earth and take all our IPv6 addresses in the process. That's the only reasonable scenario I can think of.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I don't know what you mean? Like, finding that a computer is pingable doesn't really mean much... Other than it exists.

-There's also obscure hacking techniques (which I don't really understand) that rely on ICMP's ability to return a payload. I've seen it used to bypass login screens at an internet cafe.

-Old school DDoS used pings, I figure that's probably been patched by machines made after 2001.

In general hide the ping on poo poo you don't want to be found (with exceptions), and allow pings where applicable. It's not a massive breach of security, though.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

FungiCap posted:

I took the CCENT last week. Missed the mark by only 4 points, but I'll definitely get it next time. I was afraid the test might have a lot of crappy questions but I actually thought the test was very fair. The print out tells you what you missed the most and I had about 88-100% in every category except for WAN's which was 20%. Easily cost me the cert. Oh well, next time is definitely a pass.

I did poo poo on WANs too, it's usually given a small portion of a study guide and it's stuffed to the tits with boring crap to memorize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

CompTIA ~cloud~
CompTIA Green IT

These are just from comptia and I'm sure there many more.

I think these are more prospective certs on CompTIA's part, trying to get in on the next big thing. I don't think the cloud one is worthless though because ~the cloud~ is reaching critical buzzword mass and it'll probably impress a lot of non-computer people.

Haha the syllabus:

quote:

The CompTIA Cloud Essentials exam covers:

Characteristics of cloud services from a business perspective
Business value of cloud computing
Technical perspective/cloud types
Steps to successful adoption
Impact and changes on IT service management
Risks and consequences

I somehow doubt actual hands on information is included in this. It's more mysticism towards a nebulous computer god somewhere beyond the demarcation point.

Rene Rancourt fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 19, 2013