Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

DropsySufferer posted:

Why are morons like this even given a chance for an in person interview? I'm assuming they had to have a BS resume and cheated to get the certs. It annoys me to read this because all I get are rejection letters and it would nice to get an interview for a change.

I hang out a lot on the Cisco forums, answering questions here and there, but mostly just absorbing knowledge. (It's a great idea that I suggest to all those studying for CCNA or thereabouts: Sign up for the study group, elect to get an email when topics are created/replied, set rules in outlook.) The amount of people that lead on discussions on how to get the latest or greatest brain dump are amazing. I seriously think that if they go in with how to answer the question, as opposed to answering the question, and get a CCIE, the believe that people will cower to them when they walk into that interview room, and they can spend their career's in a cushy office job looking up how to implement a Cisco-driven MPLS via Google.

Anyhow, for content: Lab all set up, got bored and implemented EIGRP on all but the Adtran router, for obvious reasons. Starting CCNP studies, picked up a CCNP reference guide from Cisco Press, wish me luck. Which one should I start with, Route or Switch? (My weakness is Switch)

Edit: Came back to mention this deal, which seems to be a load of downloadable PDF documents for $1 each:
http://www.learnsmartsystems.com/products/exam-manuals/view-exam-manuals.aspx

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Jelmylicious posted:

Just make sure you know most of what is on the relevent ones of these: http://packetlife.net/library/cheat-sheets/

Holy crap on a stick. I've seen the packetlife website, but never knew that this existed AND you can order posters from this site. This is amazing!

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

PancakeTransmission posted:

Edit: Passed the CCNA exam last week. Had some questions that were definitely not CCNA material (checked through cert guides, looked in CCNP books). I'm guessing they were the beta unmarked questions the intro mentioned. Or maybe they are mentioned in the official 3rd edition cert guides. I studied from the 2nd edition which is from 2008. :shobon:

They did add some questions while removing some aging questions from the pools. I think more on wireless technologies and IPv6, as well as removing some in-depth RIP material. Someone that I talked to that took their test around a year ago said that they added questions touching on Fiber and OC technologies, but I don't know how truthful that is.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

duck hunt posted:

Any Juniper goons in this thread? I have my JNCIS-FWV and JNCIS-SEC. Apparently I have to re-certify this year. I found out that Juniper now does their exams through Pearson as opposed to Prometric. Anyone taken any of the newer Juniper exams?

I was interested in taking this at my old job, but it would be worthless now at my current job (we do not use Juniper), but from what I understand, the newer exams as of about 1-2 years ago, all it takes is basic networking experience, and some memorization from PDF documents freely found on the Juniper website. At least, this was the case for JNCIA.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
I thought there was a method that you could use to "lock in" a test date on the Pearson Vue website without paying. Ah well.

Anyhow, has there been any changes to the CCNP 642-902 test that would not be covered in this book from Odom(Fifth edition)? Its definitely a thick read, but I find that I'm enjoying it a lot more than Lammle's CCNA book. I'm going to try and crank this out in ~3 months.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 3, 2014

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Yaos posted:

I've been reading the latest Odom book for ICND1. Is it awful in that it's missing information or another way?

Odom books have a reputation for being very dry, but information heavy reads. Lammle has good information in his books, combined with a bit of humor, however, in my opinion, can fall flat in getting that nugget of information as to why things work.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

1000101 posted:

I used this for my ROUTE exam:
mplementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam (Foundation Learning Guides)

http://www.amazon.com/Implementing-...ords=CCNP+ROUTE

It pretty much feels like the "textbook" they build the test from.

I have the one with the alternative cover that was co-written with Odom. They must have followed that poor girl all over the data center. No wonder why she looks bored.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Reached the 5th chapter in the Odom book. OSPF. This was my weak point in the routing portion of CCNA. Urgh. Any one know of any good websites that explain OSPF in a good, understandable way?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

QPZIL posted:

What part about it gives you trouble? I'm happy to answer any questions you have, or I can write up something tonight if I remember.

Pretty much everything. I'm not too much of a moron about it, knowing that it's link-state, and knowing the very definition of LS routing protocols, and the pros/cons between LS and DV routing protocols. I guess I know the basic stuff. If you could write something up, that would help myself (and Moey) out a lot.

psydude posted:

Odom does a pretty good (and incredibly boring) job of explaining OSPF, breaking it down into 3 or 4 chapters along the way. The wikipedia article and the network cheat-sheets that I've linked in the OP are pretty helpful for explaining it. Also, Cisco's technical documentation on OSPF could prove helpful as well, although there's a lot of extra stuff in there you won't be using unless you're working with it in the real world or are going for your CCIE.

Speaking of which, I was originally not going to bother going for my CCIE, but I think I might as well once I finish the CCNP because why the hell not?

I'll have to take a look at the OP, as it's been a while, but I'm glad that Odom, as much as a snooze fest "hey this reads like stereo instructions" writing style that he has, take a moment and refreshes us in CCNA-fundamentals for each section. He does a fantastic and overbearing job explaining why things work, which is what I absolutely love. The whole EIGRP section, I walked out, feeling refreshed and garsh darnit, I lerned me a somethings.

I did notice a typo on one of the pages though.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

G.I. Jaw posted:

For anyone who has taken the exam since 2010, is the SWITCH test really as easy as it seems to be?

From what I understand, they ask more intimate questions about STP and rSTP, and especially VLAN information. Talking to someone outside of these forums, they suggested that I pick up a Layer-3 Cisco 35XX for CCNP SWITCH, so I got 2 of them, so I can imagine there would be questions about access-ports and the like. I'm hoping that there's some questions about BVI in the book (haven't read it yet). Gotta take my sweet time with that book, as switching in general was a little of my weak point.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

Wow, GNS3 has integrated VirtualBox now. When they finally add the simulated ASIC support for managed switches, you'll be able to run a $5000 lab on your desktop, to include a complete server infrastructure.

I noticed that as well. Figured I would use GNS3, since the latest updates seemed to narrow down the CPU that I use a lot better. Going to use it to emulate a few OSPF findings, and may systematically dismantle my physical lab. Congrats on passing SWITCH; I'm feeling more confident in ROUTE and may schedule it for April as opposed to May.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Edit: Nevermind. Cisco moved the bookmark.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 16, 2014

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Cenodoxus posted:

Edit: I flagged a bad question for review on the Pearson ICND2 practice test a few days ago and today Wendell Odom himself e-mailed me to follow up on it. Neat. :unsmith:

I bet his email was 17 pages long.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
I know this was referenced on the last page, but, the thing with Odom is that his books are written a very specific way. I think that if he was better at grouping the information, he could easily cut out 40-50 pages from his books. He will talk about one subject, then in the next subject, a few sentences-paragraph will mention the previous subject. His section about OSPF is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, as it's actually helping me understand OSPF a lot more. I was able to get one of my routers in my lab to have one area with another cisco router, and a second area with an Adtran router. I don't think I would have been able to do that with Lammle's CCNA book...

...which I believe I can safely get rid of.

Edit: Also, watched a preview or two of TS's Joe Reinhart's CCNP videos on YT. He seems like he knows his stuff. Anyone have any experience with him?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

front wing flexing posted:

Don't put yourself into crazy debt getting the degree, the certs and work experience will determine your career at this stage. That said, if you've got financial aid or scholarships go to school as much as possible. There are also discounts on some cert exams and other perks like that as well as the structured learning by going to school. Like universities, some CCs are really awesome and some are complete and utter poo poo.

Quoting this for the truth. I'm only planning (so far) to get my AAS (last semester woo!), and then work on certificates. I feel that certification that has to constantly be renewed/refreshed with current and up-to-date information, combined with an AAS, will trump someone that only has a BAS from InDebtHorrendously University from 10 years ago. I also landed my current position with only a CCNA and work experiences, and it required a 4-year degree.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

Most companies will let you substitute experience in lieu of a 4 year degree. That being said, it's much harder to land a management role without one, even though I've seen it done.

Oh yeah, of course. I'm talking entry-level; getting the foot in the door. I wouldn't even try a managerial position even with a four year degree. Oddily enough, some of the comapnies that I "follow" on LinkedIn post entry level positions that require 5-7 years in the industry, four year degrees, as well as knowledge in areas that don't even apply to the position. It's a silly thing.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Holy crap, I think I retained about 60% of that knowledge that Odom brainspilled in his book about OSPF. It's funny that no matter the resource I look up on the internet, all that knowledge comes together. But, I do have a better understanding of it now, even more-so than my CCNA studies.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
I'm about ready to tear my hair out. Why you may ask? Glad you did. You see, the room that contained my lab had water seep through the floor, into the padding, into the carpet, because of the mountain of snow that we have gotten in MI over the past 2 months. It didn't affect my lab, thank the good lord, but I had to move it out so the apartment management/maintenance workers can pull up the carpet, replace the padding and/or carpet entirely. Which means I had to move everything out of the room. Which means that my Cisco lab is sitting in pieces, all disconnected and crying at me whenever I walk by it. It'll be a while before they get in there to fix everything, and I can't cease my CCNP route studies.

So, in the meantime, I bit the bullet and spent the last 2 days configuring GNS3 (which I was meaning to do anyhow) to set up virtually the same configuration that I have physically. But, one of the serial links goes up/up, then up/down. I can't figure it out. I'm using the same IOS that I've used on one of the routers. I've set Idle PC so that when I launch all 6 routers, it barely eats my Core i7, and my RAM (24 GB), even with 4 VM's running, never goes past 60%. I can't seem to figure it out. Is there some type of "uh oh, you hit your Serial interface/router limit" in GNS3, or some tricks/tips that I can use if someone ran across this and figured it out?

I would post configurations, but to keep this post short and sweet, I'll just type them out:

Router 1:
interface ser 0/0
ip address 10.5.5.1 255.255.255.252
clock rate 512000
no shut

Router 2:
interface ser 0/2
ip address 10.5.5.2 255.255.255.252
clock rate 512000
no shut

It may also help to note that I cannot even ping any of these IP addresses when the interface comes up/up on the local router, but I do see a connected route in the routing table. After a while, it goes up/down.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psyopmonkey posted:

Only one end supplies clock. I had the same issue in GNS3 and in real world applications.

"No clock" on your distant end int should help.

Tried that as well. it defaults putting "clock rate 200000" in there, no matter if I remove it. I even tried a different router. It has to seriously be some type of limit: 6 routers, 12 serial interfaces. Figured it would be as simple as the rest of them, as I have configured this link exactly the same with the other ones. A bunch of reading on the GNS 3 forums, and random posts, it seems that the clock rate, or the fact that both ends are configured as DCE don't apply, the link should work, and I'm left wondering why it isn't. Could there be something I'm missing in the options?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

I'd ask in their support forum. They're pretty helpful there.

I decided to try one more thing, and it worked. From what I read around the forums, GNS3 sometimes doesn't properly emulate the HW of the virtual NM's in some of the routers. Perhaps my IOS that I pulled from a 2691 was a bit weird (which makes this even more odd, because the same IOS that supported the NM-4T HW-wise doesn't play nice with the virtual-ness of GNS3, perhaps), so I decided to try just using the 3x T1 WIC's that come standard, and that works. I'll just keep that in mind. Thanks for your help again, psydude! You helped me out with it about 3 1/2 years ago, and did again as well.

I don't have much more legally-acquired IOS's that will work within GNS3. It would be a wet dream if they supported the 1800/2800 series routers. Maybe in GNS3 1.0. If I get htis fully working like I want to (route-map filtering, access-listing, IPv6, etc) I may dump a few of the real routers that I have in my lab so others can use them.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

geera posted:

The official practice tests from Cisco seem to have a lot of similar problems -- lots of innocent typos ("EIRP" instead of EIGRP) and other more serious problems (like this one, for which none of the answers are correct, but the first one is what the test expects you to choose). Just seems sloppy and is something people should watch out for in general if using the practice tests to study.

Pulling memories from me taking my CCNA test 2 1/2 years ago, but I do remember a bunch of typos on that test. There was a button at the bottom of the test to "report" or flag the question for review. I did use that button a good half a dozen times, some were for typos. If I am paying 250-300 for a test that will strengthen my career, Cisco can spend a few minutes making sure each question is void of typographical/continuity errors.

Content: How much of IP SLA/PBR do I really need to know for the CCNP route? I'm going through that chapter now, but am really anxious to start the 4-5 chapters on BGP, which are next. I attempted to get the GNS3 lab to route BGP between 2 routers via BGP, but redistributing statis routes doesn't seem to be working, so I wanna be able to troubleshoot that as soon as possible.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
You can safely practice CCNA without the existence of a lab. There's really nothing gained via touching physical equipment that the CCNA covers within its scope. But if you really need to scratch that itch, physical labs can be had for 3-400 on ebay. Some are good, some are not. Stay away from the 2500 series routers.

Is there a good website that lists an example of a solid, but somewhat complicated explanation of route-maps (even prefix-lists) that people can use? My google-fu is bringing up tons of sites on GPS units, and rightfully so, but I need to brush up on that, as well as EIGRP/OSPF route summarizaton.

Thanks to all for your help so far.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Bone posted:

....of videos on YouTube by Professor Messer, and ...

I think his name has been brought up before with positive mention. I'd say go for it, especially if the video ratings are really high/people are commenting "thank" and the like in the comments.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

So fair warning to any of you pursuing your CCNP right now: take the time to learn MPLS, because basically every CCNP-level job that involves doing L3 work is going to require knowledge of MPLS, VRF, and MP-BGP. And that's like the only thing that the interviewers are going to focus on for some reason.

I really think that Cisco should revise the curriculum to include it.

This is from a few pages back, but psydude speaks the truth. The multiple telecomm/networking jobs that I have had over the years involve MPLS / VRF and even a bit of VES mixed in to some degree. It's the new hotness, and chances are, you'll encounter it within your travels. But, as he said, the CNP only mentions it in passing, so off to the internet you go. Keith Barker has a few excellent MPLS videos out on YT that explains the fundamentals of MPLS.

Can't speak much of MP-BGP, as I heard that is CCIE-level poo poo, and I'm currently going through the BGP chapters.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Okay, going to bite the bullet and schedule ROUTE for the 6th of June. How important is it to get the LSA's for OSPF down? EIGRP I have down, BGP, I can have down if I glance over my notes again, IPv6 knowledge, I'm pretty keen on. Anything else I should really scrub up my knowledge on?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

You'll need to have them memorized. Brush up on route maps and policy-based routing.

Thrawn posted:

Seconding this, also make sure you understand things like route tagging & basic IPSEC/GRE VPN configs. & especially make sure you've got IGP redistribution down cold.

I'll definitely work on these. Thanks! I have some videos to watch, as I'm almost finished up with Odom's book. It did a great job filling in the holes that were left over from CCNA, and I really want to get this exam passed, not so much for the CCNA refresh, but more for the fact that I can take a break from education for a month and go on a vacation.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 17, 2014

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Oh wow, thanks for that. Another YT subscriber worth checking out. I'm subscribed to Doug Suida's and Keith Baker's YT channels, both are valuable resources. For added gold, I do have some CBT Nugget videos to check out, one of the perks of having a few Cisco employees that I can communicate with.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Scheduled CCNP Route for June 12th. Wish me luck, I'm gonna die.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Welp, I'm glad that I passed the CCNP ROUTE exam, but not happy with the score. It doesn't coincide with the percentages that I received, and doesnt accurately represent the amount of time that I spent in studying. I kept track of the questions that I got wrong/didn't know the answer to, and also the ones that I was 100% for sure, final answer, bet my life on, correct.

What concerns me is that 8 questions in, I started getting Adobe Flash scrpiting errors. The exam had to be closed out and resumed. Even though I was able to resume the exam right where it left off, one of the questions that I got further down in the exam was a repeat question. In another testing environment, in another city, I experienced issues with loading up a Cisco exam, and earlier than that, a fellow co-worker/friend and I went and took our CCNA at the same time. He had to wait a good 30 minutes because the exam failed to start, and a phone call had to be placed with Pearson Vue in order to correct the problem.

Why can't Pearson Vue get their poo poo together and provide a seamless testing experience? On another note, does Cisco believe in a resolution bigger than 800x600?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

If you spent as much time studying and learning the material as you say, then your score is irrelevant. You still passed the test and you still know the material.

Yeah, this is true. I'm just the type of person that wants a accurate physical representation of how well I did, and I didn't get it on this exam. The overall result, passing, is what I wanted though, so I can take a break from almost 4 years of educational courses and self studying for certs and poo poo.

Case in point: While transitioning between versions of Blackboard for my college, I lost one of the final scores of my class. I had to call different departments and talk to several people as they tried to recover it. Sure, I passed the class, but I wanted that silly little number in order to make myself proud; a number that grows more and more insignificant.

And, psydude, aside from the lab, I only got 1 other question about route maps. :) But, I know them inside and out, so thanks for helping me to recap pages and pages back.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

MrBigglesworth posted:

You actually got IPv6 questions?

When I took my CCNA many many moons ago, I got 3 of them. I was a bit surprised myself, because holy hell, the chapter on IPv6 within the 5th edition of Lammle's book wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Going for TSHOOT on the 27th, just shy of the Cisco test change extravaganza. I'm taking it somewhere else this time, because I don't want another screw up like last. Heard this test is easy as balls especially if you work trouble tickets on Cisco stuffins.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

icehewk posted:

ICND1 exam tomorrow morning. Any suggestions? Trying to maintain the regular habits, eat well, sleep early, etc. Not looking at anything exam related today and just relaxing.

Make sure you 100% understand the question before attempting to answer. Cisco has a funny way of wording a questions, and there are afew "AHA!" moments that will surface throughout the course of the exam.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Passed TSHOOT. Was really simple once you got the hang of it. Interesting to note: Somewhere I read that you could only see the running config, which wasn't true. I could look up route tables, route protocols, interfaces, the whole shebang. Didn't try changing things. I got just shy of a perfect score. I'm going to blame Cisco's everlasting decision to display their tests in 800x600 resolution, regardless that I was on a 24" LCD monitor. I'm pretty sure I chose the wrong device, as I didn't note the scroll bars on some of the labs. The dude that was testing right next to me had some serous swamp rear end, kept boil farting pretty much through the exam. I thought the guy sitting behind me against the wall was going to choke to death. It should be me applying my Cisco skills, not how long I can hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

psydude posted:

Someone's never had to rack a switch in an unventilated closet in an unairconditioned building in summer time.

Once or twice, I have. Factories that kept their equipment in "the smoking room", schools in SE MI that, unusually, kept their stuff in the boiler room. I fondly remember wiring up a lawyers office that smelled like cigar smoke and piss. Does that count? Nothing that even compares to the days of appliance repair. Current day finds me more on the remote end of things; management. I'll prefer the openess and the complexity of a colocate to the client installation angle anyday. Especially if I can remote into it from the comfort of the operations room.