Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Security+: "Finally, it's important to not"

Re: CCNA
Spend $50 on the ICND2 learning lab. I bought both ICND1 and 2 labs; I felt that after working through the first quarter of the ICND2 lab, the ICND1 lab didn't have much to offer.

CLL vs GNS3:
Not a buggy mess.
Emulates switches.
Don't have to worry about correct IOS version, or acquiring images.
Comes with scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

1000101 posted:

Why not bpdufilter?

You are correct. BPDUGuard is for filtering ingress.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Anyone else sign up for the Cloud+ beta? (it's closed now)
I'm sure knowledge of the existence of cloud-based technologies will help my company proactively leverage all the synergies.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
There are several ways of understanding subnetting; you may have to look around for a technique that makes sense.
Multiplication works for me:
Class A /8: 256 256x256x256
Class B /16: 256x256 256x256
/18: 256x256x4 64x256

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
They teach kids to add these days by giving them a bunch of beads. By having the kids physically move the beads from pile to pile, children can see how addition works on a fundamental level. Well, with subnetting, each bead is a bit that is a power of two. One pile of beads is the network bits, and the other host bits.

If you don't understand this explanation, then find another, or stare at a subnetting chart till your eyes fall out.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I recommend Cisco Learning Labs over GNS3 for the CCNA.

Isn't a buggy POS, does switches, don't have to "acquire" IOS images :filez:, provides scenarios so you aren't blindsided by exam objectives.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
ICND2 is $50 for 90 days/25 hours. Although some might balk at a time limit, I only used up 10 hours when I took ICND2. $50 is cheaper than kit pricing, and certainly less than a retake.

Seriously, it's this vs "I thought Cisco didn't care about Frame Relay/NAT/IPv6" during an exam.

I took ICND1 after using the Cisco Press book to study with; I don't believe the ICND1 lab provides $50 of value over what the Cisco Press book offered with their practice exam.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I took an 400-level IS Auditing course in college. Remember kids, ask the network admin if his network runs on half- or full-duplex, to show him you're tech-savvy.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

CrazyLittle posted:

I... who... goddamnit. Where the hell is that idiot?

It's the mid 90s. You can install Windows, so you're practically a wizard. Do you:

A) make the metamorphosis from "computer guy" to sysadmin/developer/IT manager, or
B) cash in your rep for a professorship and ride that gravy train to retirement?

15 years later, you're worried the cracks are beginning to show. The accounting majors eat up everything you say, but the IS guys seem...skeptical, almost contemptuous.
He lasted another year after I graduated; these days, he's probably doing his side work as an expert witness.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Shoeonhead22 posted:

I somehow doubt actual hands on information is included in this. It's more mysticism towards a nebulous computer god somewhere beyond the demarcation point.

I took the Cloud+ beta exam last month.

Buzzword count:

Cloud: lost count
Synergy: 0
Leverage: 1

The exam focuses on Fibre Channel, virtualization, and basic arithmetic. If given a choice between two candidates for an entry-level DC job, I'd go for the one who already knew what a LUN was.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I'm told Cisco Learning Labs uses the same scenarios as Packet Tracer.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Anyone take the new CCNA:Security exam (640-554)? Plan on taking it in the next two weeks, and am curious if it is as CCP-heavy as the Boson practice exams make it out to be.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Jedi425 posted:

I took it about a month ago, and it was for me. Cisco loving loves that drat GUI. Know your syntax, but be ready to have to deal with a ton of GUI stuff.

Ugh. Guess I'm running through the Academy lab manual after all. Thanks.

VR Cowboy posted:

I'm wondering if anyone can clarify this for me.
I read that the new CCNA v2 exams from Cisco have changed such that you don't have to go CCENT -> CCNA -> CCNA {specialty}
instead, you can go
CCENT -> CCNA {specialty} so you don't have to have CCNA Routing and Switching as a prerequisite for wireless, voice, security, etc.

If this is the case, I'm scheduled to write the current INCD1/CCENT at the end of the month before it's retired. Would that qualify me for going right to, say, CCNA Wireless when the new exams are released? Or am I still expected to finish the ICND2?

Yep, you can get an associate specialization with the current ICND1. The gotcha is that when you finally get around to taking ICND2, you've only have until September before you have to take the new ICND1 or composite exam to qualify for CCNA:R&S.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Martytoof posted:

I need to renew my CCNA before Jan 30 or whenever. I was hoping to crank out CCNA Security but it looks like the new one is ASA-centric and I don't really have the means to practise that. Just going to have to man up and do CCNP ROUTE finally. Hopefully I can knock that out side by side with this VCP thing.

640-554 has some ASA material, but I'd say it's more CCP/IOS-focused than anything else.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Martytoof posted:

Will either of the CCNA Data Center tests renew a CCNA? Or both tests completed, I guess.

One will do.
https://i7lp.integral7.com/durango/do/login?ownername=cisco&channel=cisco&basechannel=integral7

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I took a Pearson survey and received a coupon code for their online store. 50% off Cisco Press books is a pretty sweet deal.

http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/store/

Code: LEARNINGSURVEY

Expires Oct 31st, and good for a single transaction. Free shipping (in the US). Doesn't work on book + ebook combos, but I bet you could buy the dead tree books and use the included coupon code to upgrade to the practice test ebook at the discounted rate.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

three posted:

PS You get what you pay for with community colleges.

I went to a state college and my experience wasn't much better--IT security course without labs because the professor couldn't figure out RADIUS, 10Base2 vs twisted pair discussions in 2010, etc.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I took 640-554 in June, and the Cisco Press book was my primary resource. It does not cover private VLANs and glosses over Cisco's service offerings. The book strikes an even balance between CLI and GUI, but unfortunately the exam is skewed heavily towards GUI for simulations. I found it to be good for explaining things (not difficult since CCNA Security epitomizes "inch deep, mile wide") but you want to find labs elsewhere and brush up on the topics I mentioned earlier. I picked up the Cisco Academy lab manual and Boson practice exam to round things out.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
As a prospective employer, what value should I place in a cert representing an afternoon of effort?
As a prospective employer, would it be reasonable for me to assume that if someone is certified in something, they have more than a casual understanding of the topic?
If yes, do certs that do not meet that criteria devalue vendor credibility and that of certifications in general?
If no, why should an employee bother to put that cert on their resume?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

dotster posted:

There are loads of IT certs that are useless to prospective employers depending on what they are looking for.

I'm waiting for Dilbert to claim that's a good thing. :ssh:

dotster posted:

If the VCA takes an afternoon of study but the test certifies that the holder knows that content then you know what you are getting when you see it. Hell, the VCP only takes a week long class to learn (because it is a pre-req) and no one from my team that has taken it has failed to pass on the first attempt so is that valuable? Would you hire someone to run your VM environment after only a week of study?

Knowledge can be acquired very quickly but expertise takes a great deal of time, certifications do a good job of testing knowledge but are typically very poor at testing expertise. Any employer that doesn't understand this and places to much value in any certification will end up in a bad way.

Anyway, I don't actually think we are really disagreeing.

I used two metrics: effort and understanding (depth of knowledge). Effort is not necessarily a good evaluator: a cert is not suddenly more valuable if the training class takes place over a week instead of a one-evening cram session. Depth of knowledge is useful for career roles that favor it (call center tech support being a good counterexample). I agree that depth of knowledge is not enough in some positions. As an employer, the question is whether I want the candidate to be able to figure out problems, or have already spent time figuring out problems on another company's dime (and as a result spend more time solving problems and less learning how to solve them). A certification would ideally meet the former at a minimum, and advanced certs (like CCIE) recognize the latter. I expect certs to be more important for junior roles and experience for senior positions.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I spent the better part of a week tracking down an issue with our phones. Root cause: a two-peer load balancer was configured for multicast, and the resulting traffic was causing dropped calls at the site. I am all for server admins understanding what their wizard is setting up.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
My company refuses to pay the Cisco tax on access switches--they've bought Dell Powerconnects for years. Take functionality like port security: on one switch, if you unplug the network cable, the learned MACs disappear, on another, the threshold is the number of MACs simultaneously in use, and on another switch, the learned MACs never age out (the threshold is effectively the all-time number of MACs on a port). Dell does not have an unified platform like Cisco does, so each new generation of hardware comes with an unacceptable level of uncertainty regarding whether the device will behave the way you expect it to. Are there viable/superior alternatives to Cisco? Sure. Are products half the price Cisco-quality? I wouldn't count on it.

Support ecosystem matters as well. Tech not knowing how to set up a VPN? Problem with any vendor (my worst distant-end tech got 11 things wrong with his setup, and that was a Cisco ASA). Not knowing whether your device supports the functionality in the first place? If the tech's first email includes "Watchguard," "Netgear," or my favorite, "enterprise-grade," I double the installation time estimate. The average tech is incapable of setting up anything moderately complicated if there isn't an example on Google to use as a reference.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

psydude posted:

Is CCNA: Security even worth taking, or is it nothing but ASAs?

CCNA:Security is CCP, ACLs, access control, ACS, IOS IPS, IOS firewall(CCP), ASA, site-to-site VPNs (ASA and IOS) and RA VPNs (ASA). It is a IOS-heavy cert, much more so than ASA. In terms of practical knowledge, there really isn't any aside from how VPNs work. It is a product catalog with some tasks included for legitimacy. The cert is a requirement for CCNP:Security, but if you don't work with ASAs already, that's an uphill battle.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Odom if you want to learn R&S; Lammle if you want to learn about R&S. The latter is sufficient to pass the CCNA, and is probably a better choice if you are just breaking into the industry.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm taking CCNA+Wireless in a week or two - just finished the classes - to renew my base CCNA and go up a bit. I know how this goes - not asking what's on the test - but can those of you who have taken it kind of ballpark its difficulty as compared to the base CCNA?

First three posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165&userid=132819. Sounds rough.

I'll be waiting for the new book to drop in March before taking it, but I'm interested in any commentary from test-takers.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Looks like CCNP Security got a revamp:
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp_security/index.html
Three months before phasing out the books is kind of short.

Initial impression:

SENSS: FIREWALL is exclusively ASA, but this now covers routers, switches, and firewalls
SIMOS: Not much of a change from VPN
SISAS: SECURE updated for ISE
SITCS: IPS with ASA CX and Cisco's cloud security services thrown in

You could get halfway through the CCNP:Sec exams with just an ASA, doesn't look like this is longer possible.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I used Cisco Learning Labs for the previous version of the CCNA and thought it was money well spent.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
If you're in a position where renewing your A+ is a concern, you're doing it wrong. A+ exists to get your foot in the door so you can bootstrap yourself to a middle-class job. CE fees would be better invested in study materials for just about any non-CompTIA exam.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

psydude posted:

Anyone done the CCNP: Wireless track? Does it require as much lab work/hands on experience as CCNP: R&S, or is it more conceptually based?

Also, I figure I might as well start cranking out some of the readings for the CCIE: R&S. I've found a few reading lists; does anyone have any recommendations for lists that worked well for them?

Tasty Wheat did.

I just started on CCNA:Wireless; should be able to provide gotchas/areas of concentration in the next month or two.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

MrBigglesworth posted:

CCNP is changing like CCNA did last year.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp/index.html

Tests will still be R&S&TSHOOT with 300 in the front instead of the old 642. Last day for current tests is Jan 31 2015.

They gave six months for CCNP but only three for CCNP Security, and CCNP Security has more exams. :argh:

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Good luck recognizing an IP conflict in the field if you don't have a good handle on MACs and supporting tshooting tools.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TeamIce posted:

So I've decided to keep pursuing Cisco, and work towards CCNP. Given that the exams are changing, I don't really see a lot of use in studying the old 640 series material.

The one thing I'm having a bitch of a time finding though is any study material for the new 300-101 ROUTE, 300-115 SWITCH, and 300-135 TSHOOT courses. Is there even anything on the market available yet, or am I going to be stuck stagnating for a few months until stuff actually hits? I really liked Todd Lammle's books for my CCENT and CCNA, but he doesn't seem to have anything at the CCNP level.

I suppose I could study 640 stuff and probably hammer out ROUTE in a few months, but my concern is that from what I've read, the 3 exams are interconnected, so I'll be missing some pieces from the puzzle for the remaining two.

Dates I've seen for Cisco Press books are Nov for ROUTE and Dec for TSHOOT. I don't know what state the rough cuts versions are in.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sacred Cow posted:

Just passed my 70-410 today. After I finish my school projects I'm going for my 411 and 412. I'm hoping to be MCSA by the end of the year.

It's been a while since I've taken one of these certs but I was asked to turn my pockets out and show I didn't have anything in them and lift my sleeves. They asked me to remove my watch too. Is this the standard now?

Is this Pearson or Prometric? Haven't been asked to lift sleeves, but watch and pockets has been the standard at Pearson for a few years now.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
For anyone planning to do the new CCNP, Cisco Press still has a Black Friday sale going on--55% off list price for 2 or more items. I picked up the new CCNP three book set and another book, and the set worked out to $65 before tax. The set retails for $133 on Amazon right now.

http://www.ciscopress.com/

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
New CCNP R&S books do not have Odom listed as an author. I'm keeping the previous Odom book as a reference because I want to know something, not about something.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Race Realists posted:

just found out that the ccna exams don't allow calculators

gently caress

You are provided a whiteboard and marker. Take the time allotted for the survey to break down an octet into slash notation, subnet mask, and number of hosts. Use the whiteboard as a lookup when needed.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

Which concepts?

The CCENT is basically the same as the Network+ without token ring thrown in.

Things must have changed since I've taken either exam, because there's a significant leap between "when should a fiber cable be used" and "calculate the STP path cost for Switch E."

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

PneumonicBook posted:

There isn't any STP on the ICND1 exam, but yea I agree that it's more complicated than Net+, mostly because of all of the Cisco IOS stuff.

I checked and you're right--I took the previous version of the CCNA and heard that they moved some concepts from ICND2 to 1, but didn't actually check to see what topics were frontloaded. My mistake.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

quote:

CompTIA is looking for qualified IT professionals to participate in developing and reviewing item content for the CompTIA Cloud+ certification exam. Apply now if you have a minimum of 5 years of IT experience and at least 2 years of technical, hands-on experience with cloud services integration and virtualization technologies.

SMEs will receive a $300 a day stipend for the 5-day workshop, as well as meals provided during the 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. working days. Recognition for SMEs includes listing on the CompTIA website pending full participation in the program.

Apparently IT professionals within driving distance of Illinois are the source of terrible exam questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

nothingtrend posted:

Current financial situation being what it is I can only afford one cert at the moment. I am confident I can pass server+ and can pass both a+ in my sleep. Would server+ be the better option as a first cert if I am looking to move out of helpdesk roles?

A+ is a way to get into helpdesk. Server is a way to round out a community college curriculum. Neither are good choices for advancing in the industry. What job do you want when you get out of helpdesk?