Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stubblyhead posted:

I forget the current rate, but in the US it should be $125 or maybe $150. You should not be giving money to anyone other than prometric for MS cert exams, and it sounds like these folks want you to pay them directly.

80 per for people with an edu email address and school id. 160 per for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Coolnezzz posted:

I have a quick question about WGU (Western Governors University), if that's alright in this thread. How hard is it to get accepted?

A little bit of background: I obtained my California High School Proficiency Exam (only valid in CA) certificate about 10 years ago, and have been attending a lovely local college on and off while working full time ever since. I've never done well in a normal school environment so naturally I've failed about 5-6 classes during this time and have ruined any real hopes of continuing my education there. However, I also have my Network+/A+ and am currently studying for my Security+, with two years of helpdesk and two years of local PC repair shop experience.

I'm currently working in a completely unrelated field (machine shop), and have been for the last two years. The company I work for will pay for 50% of my education (at the end of the year) as long as I stay for the duration. I'd like to get started with WGU's B.S. IT Security degree while I keep working here, and perhaps move into a department more in line with my skills in the future.

Now here is the thing: I loving hate my job. It's loud, dirty, and the people I work with aren't particularly beneficial to furthering ones career goals (to put it nicely), but I'm drat good at doing my work. I dislike it so much that I'm about ready to put in my notice without anything else lined up, which leads me to ask for outside opinions. Do you think that I should I keep doing work unrelated to my career interests in the name of *EASY* money or should I pursue an entry level network security or network admin kind of gig and risk my stability? I've been out of the game for a while now, but I also have no family or kids or debt so I'm willing to take some risks here.

Going back and finishing school is never a bad idea. WGU is a non-proffit, so you aren't going to be gouged with fees. If you want a referral, I can refer you (saves you like 10 bucks? more?) and you will score me a free tshirt. Simply call them and see what is what about your situation as far as admissions.

Stability or a job in the field you want? I say have both. Work where you are now and try to find a job in the field you want without doing anything drastic if you don't have to.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Strike Anywhere posted:

I passed my 70-680 (MCTS: Win 7, Configuring) this past Saturday with a score of 840 (out of 1000; 700 is minimum score to pass). It was definitely more difficult than I expected. I wasn't very confident that I had passed it, so I got quite the rush when I saw the word congratulations on the screen.

70-640 is next (Win Server 2008 Active Directory), followed by 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647.

I'm on target to complete all of those before some begin to expire on July 31, 2013.

I'd switch to 2012 exams but I'm in WGU's Network Design and Management degree program so that's not available yet. I plan on taking upgrade exams after I get my MCITP: EA and graduate.

Be careful with the 70-640. This test will be your shittest test of the series by a lot of accounts. I found it to be a huge slog.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sylink posted:

Is it better to just take the ICND1 then the 2nd exam later just to have the Entry-level network tech cert in the meantime? It seems like a good option and something to throw on the resume while you finish up for the full ccna.

I preferred the one test when I took my ccna back in the day. However there really isn't much in upside anymore. You aren't saving much money and you are still going to have to master just as much.

Take the two tests and do your best. Ccent isn't exactly something you see popup on job openings, but it can't exactly hurt.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

oogs posted:

As a linux sysadmin with 6+ years experience, am I crazy to not care about certs?

Do potential jobs you apply for look for them? Can you learn anything from the coursework?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I have failed the drat Microsoft 70-680 three times now. Is there a book or something that actually has whats covered in the exam? Or anything you guys recommend for studying?

The press book covers everything in the exam. It however doesn't put do a great job at making everything seem important. For example, notice how sometimes you will see a picture of something with text underneath it? What is covered in that pictures description could be something unique that doesn't show up in the chapter and will end up on the test.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...s=microsoft+680 Was the author of the edition i used I believe. The 3rd party books generally a little easier to read and focus more on you passing the test than going over the pure coursework.

You have already seen 3 version of the test. You should know by now what you feel weak on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

So I've got CompTIA Security+ and Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 (70-680 and 70-686). I want to go for more server-y stuff next, so I think I'm gonna go for the Enterprise Administrator certs. 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, and 70-647. Are there any reasons (other than time/money) I may want to just go with the Server Administrator track instead?

Nope. If you have already done the 680 you might as well just go for the EA. The EA gets more HR spin.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Where did you see the exam expiration's?

I really like the 2012 curriculum. Saying that, if the past is any hint of the future you might be, you might spend more time than you would like with HR depts who don't know what the gently caress your cert is.

Microsoft was really way too aggessive retiring the 2008 curriculum this early. 2012 isn't close to reaching maturity.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

This... how is this even possible?

I am amazed by this too. Couldn't you send an email to cisco? Did you even check if his CCIE was even valid?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I've read through the first 50 pages or so of the CompTIA Security+ guide, and they very strongly emphasize that you need to have a Network+ cert before bothering with Security+. I'm skeptical, since of course the guys who administer the tests and write the books want you to pay for and take as many certification tests as possible. If I do exactly as the OP says, read the book a few times and copy the port chart from memory, will I be screwed by my lack of Network+ chops or am I probably okay?

I really just need Security+ (for helping me out in one facet of a job that I already have) and don't want to spend more time and money getting Network+ if I can avoid it.

The material for the sec+ will teach you everything you need to know to pass the test. There is no prereg you need to learn to pass this test.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ApocalypseMeow posted:

Just booked my 70-410 exam for the end of January, so far the studying doesn't seem too tough so far
I'm quite comfortable with Server 2003/2008, although I'm quite new to scripting and have little PowerShell experience so that's what I'm spending the most time on.

I ordered the Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches book that seems recommend all over the place.

Are there any other good resources for learning Powershell V3 besides the material I've got and hands on practice?
Has anyone else done 70-410 yet and how did they find it?

I used the voucher to pay for all 3 MCSA Server 2012 exams at a discount to get a jump start on Server 2012, before realising that for 411 and 412 seeing as the books aren't even in print yet :eng99:

The book you bought was the best book I ever got for scripting, period. Every other book or guide I ever read for vbscript or powershell was garbage in comparison.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Is there a general consensus on the quality of CBT Nuggets video training?

I use to think they were okay, but unless you are getting them free from work I can't really recommend them anymore.

They need more quality control over their content anyway. The "flavor" that the side stories add to the videos is not my cup of tea anymore. They would have to be a lot cheaper and a lost more focused to change my opinion.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've been getting between 90% to 95% on my A+ practice tests, but people recommend I get 100% twice before taking the real test. The real annoying thing is memorizing all the different types of motherboards, CPU sockets, and RAM. I mean gently caress, you either need to be a computer or autistic to memorize all of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket

And these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIMM

poo poo like Wireless standards and port numbers are easy because I use them everyday at work, but hell, if I ask any of my coworkers what kind of processor goes into a LGA 775 / Socket T, or "what's the voltage on an ATX motherboard" everyone's like "gently caress if I know, I'd just check online." I've never actually had to change out a processor, because generally in that event it tends to be more cost-effective for us to just replace the motherboard or the whole computer.

I'm sorry, I'm just venting a little frustration.

Welcome to pains of every cert you will ever take. Most multiple choice questions you will take will ask you trivia questions of things you probably will never need to memorize in production.

Change in culture in the cert world has been slow as balls and no end is in sight. Sims has always been a better option for all the major vendors yet only Cisco has partially picked up that banner. It gives me a headache too often when I realize that learning the technology for use and preparing for the test are way too different most of the time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cyazares posted:

So I have a question hopefully someone can answer; does taking (and passing) any of the Cisco exams renew the CCNA, or do you have to actually acquire the new cert to renew? My CCNA expires this year, but since I'm taking the ROUTE exam in about a month, I'm curious whether that will renew my CCNA or if I should start preparing to re-certify.

Anything on the same level as ccna or above renew it. Generally, if the exam requires the ccna to even take it, then you will know it will renew it. CCNA voice or CCNA security are both simple tests to renew it with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I've dropped in here before to ask about certs but that was back when I was still pretty new at my job. I've now been here 9 months as a junior engineer. The General Operations Manager pulled me into his office yesterday to tell me the company wanted to get me on track to become a real engineer (a REAL boy!) and that they came up with a plan to get me there.

They want me to complete my Mac Integration Basics exam before I start on anything else but they said after that it is up to me.

I looked through the OP and it looks like I should shoot for lower level stuff like MCSE but I wanted some input.

They are willing to pay for any cert as well as give me a pay bump after each completed exam. Should I start with A+ and get the Net+ after that? At that point should I move on to MCSE or Sec+? I would like to eventually end up going for the CCNA but I know I need a lot more experience for that.

Is there a general skill level rule for these lower level certs?

A+ and net+ plus are stuff you look to do when you want to GET an entry level gig. You already have one or better. The question to ask is "What kind of stuff do I want to specialize in first?". Do you want to manage windows machines? Windows Servers? Linux? How about networking? The question a lot of new people come to this thread and ask "What should I do next?" when they should be asking "I want to do this, how do I prepare myself the best to do this?".

You have a gig that will pay for the exams and reward you for passing them. That's a dream situation for someone who is starting out. Take full advantage of it while you can.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I started my "career" as an intern at my school district's technology department running ethernet, labeling servers and switches and wires in the NOC and doing general help desk stuff at the schools. That was really a fun experience but I wasn't able to take full advantage of it because once I graduated they had to cut me loose. After that I worked non-IT jobs (Target and construction) until the network admin from that school district got a new job at a local cloud solution company. He suggested me for a temp junior engineering position that ended up turning into a full time position. That is where I began in my first post above...

Before the school district I learned everything on my own at home or from my uncles at their jobs. One owns his own business that designed web pages and programs and the other was a network admin at a law firm but now works as a network admin at a private school. I've learned a lot from them but not a lot of real-world experience.

What I THINK I am interested in is security. I've always been fascinated with hacking in general and I considered joining the Air Force to go a cyber security but ended up getting this gig.

I guess I kind of feel like I haven't done enough to know what I really like.

tl;dr: I'm interested in security. I know that is pretty broad so probably more server security than anything else. I enjoy playing with server hardware and routers, but have not had much experience with building servers. I'm a Windows guy but always wished I could be a Linux guru.

Well, like a lot of us, your interests seem to be all over the loving place. That's not a bad thing, just means you are going to have a harder time figuring out where to start first.

Since your interested in security, traditionally your first stop should be Sec+. Its going to go over a very broad range of topics without a huge amount of detail. It will however get your feet wet with the basic concepts of security. It also is a requirement for a great number of dod/government jobs so its not a total waste either way. There are also a good number of security related books out there that are worth reading that can improve your knowledge of security best practices and so on.

I would also remind you that security, at least at one point, was done by SR people who were more of experts in their field. They basically knew so much about the inter-workings of the systems they managed that they knew the most about methods used to break into them. Even though that's not exactly the case with security jobs these days (a sad fact I might add) it still holds true that you are going to need a good working knowledge of the systems you are attempting to secure. All the various vendor cert coursework can help with that so its best to choose whatever you personally are interested in because honestly, you got years and years of work to do.

So in short, do the Sec+ content and then maybe CCNA stuff? Might also be a good idea to ask your boss what technologies he would prefer you look into first.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Martytoof posted:

They're really not worth much without the experience to back them up, or at least complement the direction you're selling yourself.

If I submit a resume with every Linux cert listed but only 6 months of callcenter helpdesk or something -- I probably expect to get treated like a paper tiger.

Everybody would prefer experience and that's not in dispute. If someone walked into an interview with every linux cert possible and he/she did the courework legitly, I would bet that person would be a strong candidate regardless of experience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

So I started prepping for the Security+ starting in late September, and I took it on February 28th. The long spin up was due to questions on wether work was going to pay for it, and management wanting to have a bunch of team members take it and pass it all at once to look baller or something. I sit down to take it, and the first two questions are simulations where I got to configure a WAP, firewall, and router in the most secure configuration possible. At this point I begin thinking that I have made a huge mistake and the test I had prepped for was not the test I was taking. I still passed, but I was sweating for a second there.

Turns out CompTIA put practical questions into their exam just after I bought materials and started studying. So, look out, I guess. Also, study more network infrastructure stuff than you think you would need, it was weighted pretty heavily in the exam.

I don't think the sec+ coursework prepared me as well as other vendor stuff has, but I passed on my first try to. It almost may be purposeful on comptia's part to make the exam seem less "easy". That and the tests seem built by non fluent English speakers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Island Nation posted:

I have a question about Cisco certification so forgive me if this sounds like a idiotic question.

What is the correct order that certification should be acquired? My alma mater was offering summer classes under the Networking Academy and I was trying to figure out which order or programs I should take. I was thinking CCNA and CCNP but they were offering CCENT and CCNA Security as well.

CCent -> Ccna -> Anything else Cisco you want.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

psydude posted:

Once you get the CCNA it opens up a magical world of taking 3-5 exams to earn one certification.

There is quite a few side grade stuff which is only one test each. The ccnp stuff definitely is a grind.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh waaaah I have to take soooo many tests to make 6 figures and have an awesome job, waaaaah

;)

If a CCNP alone would get me 6 figures I would buy the books today. :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

routenull0 posted:

So who's doing it wrong? The CCNP's *not* making 6 figures or the ones without CCNP making 6 figures? I'm the latter. :smug:

The IT Certification Megathread: Stop getting certs you poors, :smug: Edition

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

routenull0 posted:

The IT Certification Megathread: Certs don't always mean more money

That was the point I was trying to make. Someone shouldn't be jaded enough to think that just because they knocked out a CCNP that they should be able to walk into an organization and demand $100k/yr

Easy cowboy, your sarcasm detector needs a recharge.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

Yes. You could review the entire test again and change all your answers if you wanted as long as you were within your 90 minutes. The scenarios even gave you a reset button in case you wanted to wipe and start fresh in your configuration.

I am pretty sure the I didn't have a cisco exam that allowed you to go back at all. Did they recently change this?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Third Man posted:

I'm getting ready to start a 7-week CCNA course and I'm wondering if anybody else who has gotten their cert can suggest some good online resources they used to help along the way? I looking for forums, blogs, etc, stuff I can read at work/during down time that will keep me thinking.

There isn't much legit stuff that is a free for you online. I have googled a few subnetting tips websites and looked at a lot of youtube channels which went over cisco exam stuff along the way. Beyond that I haven't found a great central, all-in-one resource.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

theperminator posted:

Well, I just sat my 70-647 exam and failed badly.
Makes me feel like poo poo, I felt like I was going to do well on this for sure, and was looking forward to finally having my cert.

Don't feel bad. I barely passed mine myself when I took mine back in the day.

The Microsoft pro tests are an odd twist. The testlets are somewhat practical (yay) , but my gripe is that this shouldn't be the first time you see this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

foundtomorrow posted:

Are there any student discounts for the Microsoft exams anymore? My bookmarks are no longer working, and through Dreamspark they are not showing up anywhere.

How about any student discounts for CompTIA certs?

If you do them through prometric, you can choose Microsoft student exams to schedule. They are 83 dollars.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

forever gold posted:

So I passed the Network+ today. I also have the A+.

Are Windows 7 certs worth getting?

The 70-680 is the only valuable if you are doing the MCITP-SA/EA line. All the desktop support line certs are almost worthless as far as HR and hiring managers go. The knowledge they teach in the coursework however is pretty useful depending on your experience, just don't spend money on the actual tests unless you just have the itch to. Just buying the books and learning the technology that would would be a leg up in my opinion.

You have quite a few things you can move to that would be worth your time. The next step is just to specialize a little.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

forever gold posted:

I see people on other tech forums and youtube going crazy with the labbing, having a full rack of switches/routers and whatnot. Curious how much of that is necessary. Makes the whole thing seem a bit daunting.

None of it is a necessity. The people you see doing this are passionate and are striving to better themselves the best way they can. These types will not only smash the ccna, but will probably have a superior practical knowledge of the systems they seek to administer in the workplace.

Labbing at home isn't crazy. I would say that unless nepotism or luck is on your side, labbing is the best chance you set yourself on the path of mastering the technology when you don't have the access at work.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Meta Ridley posted:

I really want to get the 70-640, but I have 0 experience as a Sys Admin. Since Server 2008 R2 is kind of prohibitively expensive to buy just to play around with in VMs, is there some better option?

The 70-680/685 (MCSA Win7) is very attainable for me, with the imaging/deployment subjects the only thing I am not familiar with.

Really I just want to move toward a job for Tier 2 Deskside Support with some ID admin duties so I can start getting more experienced with Windows Server..but I don't know if an MCSA for Windows 7 support would do much to help me toward that goal.

Are you currently a college student?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kaethela posted:

Any recommendations for practice A+? Something that would help with the simulator parts of 801/2 would be perfect.

Did you happen to read anything but the last page of this thread? This has to be the most common question and its been covered a few dozen times. Its even in the op.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ganon posted:

Well he did say he was using Visual Cert to practice which is a program used to read dumps...

Maybe there are legit sites which use visual certs for homemade practice exams that aren't dumps, I just have never heard of it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chivas Aribas! posted:

It's garbage. It is really inaccurate and doesn't go into detail on stuff the test goes into detail about. It is bad enough that I really don't think it should have been published.

Earlier in the thread I posted a link that had all of the technet articles broken out by exam objective.

I will agree 100%. It feels like these press books were rushed. Feels liked objectives given to the book makers weren't in sync with the objectives of the test makers. Microsoft does this to add "difficulty" normally, but these sets of books are out of control.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jmu posted:

Not sure if you're being serious or not. Actually learning about Server 2012 (or any of the other exam objectives with MS) is not going to help you pass the exam. I watch and follow along to CBT Nuggets to learn about the objectives but to pass I use a dump. MS exams are full of gotchas and half-correct answers, and questions that have correct answers and then "Microsoft correct" answers. I'm pretty sure I would lose my mind trying to read the press books and/or TechNet in order to actually pass. I have a job, I can only devote so much time to certs.

Basically what I'm saying is that with MS learning and passing the exam are mutually exclusive.

Oh and one other note. A long time ago I bought and read cover to cover a press book for Windows 2000(I think). I studied all the material and took MS practice tests. I completely failed the exam. I'm not wasting my time with their official methods again.

gently caress you. Seriously.

I am sure a lot of people have different rationalization for cheating and defrauding the system. Lets keep it out of this thread.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

Look I get the argument, that brain dumping enables people to get jobs they aren't qualified for, but I've been doing the job for a while already

You aren't qualified for the cert. gently caress you, move on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CatsOnTheInternet posted:

This isn't a defense of dumping, but rather a general criticism of cert exams, which speaks to pudgygiant's point:

One of the issues with certification exams is they often lend equal weight to material that people rarely - sometimes never - need to know in real life. A dumbass A+ question like "How many pins are in a serial cable?" is not something a person would learn from experience. A CCA question like "Place the following user types into flexcast groups" is something you'd get right because of rote memorization, not deployment experience.

I have been one of the loudest voices in this thread when it comes to criticism for some of the vendors and what kind of content they actually test over compared to the curriculum. It is bullshit sometimes, but then again its also their sole discretion on what they want their tests to be. People can simply choose not to take them or bring their concerns to the vendors. Seems to be a no brainer for someone with actual... you know... integrity.

The most laughable thing is that the ccna is one of the most practical exams there is. If you fail the ccna, you don't know the material well enough and it has nothing to do with the ccna books and material.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

Apply for the position I'm leaving. Good luck!

I didn't mean to open the braindump can of worms, I just thought it was dumb that having worked with Aruba and knowing what GRE is made Pass4Sure call me wrong.

You are missing the point totally.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

penga86 posted:

I think I'm in need of some encourage or a new cert to try for. I just failed the 70-640 for the third time (got in the low 600s again):(

I think I need to give up on this certification and try something else. I've been working with AD and Server 2003/8 for about 7 years and I've read two books (Sybex and MS Press). I've bought and watched the CBT nuggets for it, and borrowed and watched the VTC video series as well. What I can't do is pick out what obscure snap-in no one remembers the exact name of when I am asked on the test. Half of the tools (LDS, RMS, FS and CS) they ask about I have never once used, ever. I have a lab at home and work, as well as doing AD administration as my job. I'm done wasting time and money studying and failing these things.

At this point I'd like to take a class or bootcamp at a community college or something, but sadly that isn't available to me in my small(ish) town.

Can any of you guys recommend a certification that I can study for that isn't worthless? Any of the comptia certifications won't mean much when I move to a real city in 2014.

Redhat stuff would be a nice change of pace. Have you thought about that? It has a lot of value and its something you can still do on your own.

Check the op. It has the links to the linux stuff. Its really surprising how far a RHCSA can take you knowledge wise as well resume wise for the effort. RHCE is pretty much the gold standard and isn't a pipe dream.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 15, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

What kind of job may one get with the Linux+ and RHCSA? It seems like the only thing is a possible job at Rackspace, but really don't want to move to Texas. :smith:

Even though I am in Texas, I am seeing tons of stuff that isn't rackspace. Where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

This, exactly, is what I was trying to say. If I'm holding down a Sr. Net Eng position now, and I want a job that requires a CCNA fairly soon, I'd rather braindump stupid poo poo like OSPFv3's IPv6 multicast address than study for a month to memorize it. One, because I don't give a gently caress what OSPFv3's IPv6 multicast address is, and two, because odds are whoever's doing the technical interview doesn't give a gently caress either. It's just not an economic use of time, especially when I'm competing with 100 FYGM assholes that dumped every cert they have.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that someone lacking the aptitude to succeed in the role targeted by the cert should absolutely take the time to learn the material. The other side of the time economy coin is that it's a huge waste of time to bomb 20 technical interviews because you effectively lied about your qualifications.

Jesus loving christ. It doesn't matter how much you try to reword it, its not going to come out a way that isn't morally bankrupt. You don't possess the knowledge to pass the CCNP, so instead you cheat it. You cheat yourself and everyone else as well in the process. You are nothing more than another member of a large group of people who doesn't want to loving learn poo poo anymore.

Get the gently caress out. :frogout: :frogout: :frogout: