Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Scheduled 220-801 and 220-802 for tomorrow after realizing that 70% of the A+ is random poo poo I already know and the rest is printers apparently.

Got my final resume draft from DustingDuvet yesterday and it looks loving awesome, just gotta add the A+ in to it when I pass (or apply to Subway if I don't) and proper job search starts Monday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
The above is pretty much on point, but if you're looking to knock out a couple certs just cuz its free, A+ is passable easily and sec+ I hear is quite quick as well, with as low as a week study time mentioned frequently. MCSE consists of, uh I'm not sure about the new one but it used to be 7 tests, I think it might be 5 now but even 5 MS tests would take you quite a while.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

forever gold posted:

The test version doesn't matter, but the newer version has a revised syllabus and a few simulations.

I took the newer tests this January and the cert they gave me was A+ ce which expires eventually, I'm not sure which you get if you pass the older versions. If you don't remember old hardware (ISA/PCI etc) you'd probably be better off taking the new stuff.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

forever gold posted:

Depends on your familiarity with the material. I didn't know much about computers and I found reading one of those thick books (the Sybex one) to be illuminating. I hear the Michael Myers book is less dry though. That said, I bet you can absorb the material just through the web and the Professor Messer videos. Prof Messer even has a great deal of practice questions on his website compiled over the last few years that are quite similar to the ones on the test.

I did next to no preparing for it after just kind of generally looking over the subjects, the one thing I wasn't expecting is some of the questions were not at all related to technical things but rather chain of custody for evidence or chain of command stuff for people problems, although the correct answer basically screams PICK ME if you take the time to read it slowly.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

ShadowStalker posted:

So if you take an exam and pass, you can't take the exact same one for 6 months. Why would you retake it if you passed? That just seems stupid.

That's really more to prevent you from helping others cheat by copying the exam somehow.